Species Brachypelma hamorii (a.k.a. Brachypelma smithi)

hannwalker

Arachnopeon
The roaches hold the gut load longer and have a higher protein content. When my tarantula got large enough to start taking roaches, we made them the primary diet. I was fortunate because my T loves them. Not all tarantulas find them appealing so you may just have to try it and see how it goes.
Thanks for the info...when I got her she was being fed small roaches. I couldn't order small amounts of them so I fed crickets.

bonsaimaster1

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma smithi-Clarice 3 year old female. Doing great! Have not ever handled her yet. She has grown a lot in the 3 years that I have owned her. I have only fed crickets, now up to med size. She has moulted 4 times. Should I feed anything else besides the crickets. My pet store now has some type of roaches that aren't that big.
Gorgeous!!! :) How long did it take for her to reach that size? Also, where did you buy her, and for how much?

Pedemonte Mario

Arachnopeon
Got my very first T today for free :D

I'm so happy. Was always busy with Araneomorphae.
Now I can start my Mygalomorphae ( Theraphosidae ) :D

For the people who did not know yet ( 2017 ) :
- Brachypelma smithi is now Brachypelma hamorii
- Brachypelma anitha is now Brachypelma smithi

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Welcome, southern neighbour :)
Yes, the revision has been posted here :). What Araneomorphae are you keeping?

Pedemonte Mario

Arachnopeon
Welcome, southern neighbour :)
Yes, the revision has been posted here :). What Araneomorphae are you keeping?
Thank you :) At the moment I'm keeping an Drassodes sp. + Tegenaria domestica + Amaurobius ferox + Marpissa muscosa + Zoropsis spinimana and an other jumping still need ID for it after it moults. :D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I got my first T ever, a ~1/2 inch Brachypelma hamorii (then B. smithi) sling from BugsInCyberspace in February 2016:

They lost a bit of weight at first as I figured out feeding but gained it back and then some (April 2016):

I missed taking a photo after the first molt, but they grew and molted again in little more than a month (May 2016):

And again a few months later (July 2016):

By September 2016, the adult colors were prominent and the missing leg fully regenerated:

He had a prolonged pre-molt semi-fast over the winter and molted again in March 2017:

This past Saturday (July 2017), I got to watch the entire molting process and with the fresh exuvium, confirm that my beauty is a boy:
And here he is! :happy:

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome! I liked how you did a timeline of photos.
Nice lookin spider, love the Brachypelmas.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Awesome! I liked how you did a timeline of photos.
Nice lookin spider, love the Brachypelmas.
Thank you! I love the genus too and am amazed at how much my little T has grown and changed in the past year and a half! :happy:

tarantulagal66

Arachnopeon
I got my first T ever, a ~1/2 inch Brachypelma hamorii (then B. smithi) sling from BugsInCyberspace in February 2016:

They lost a bit of weight at first as I figured out feeding but gained it back and then some (April 2016):

I missed taking a photo after the first molt, but they grew and molted again in little more than a month (May 2016):

And again a few months later (July 2016):

By September 2016, the adult colors were prominent and the missing leg fully regenerated:

He had a prolonged pre-molt semi-fast over the winter and molted again in March 2017:

This past Saturday (July 2017), I got to watch the entire molting process and with the fresh exuvium, confirm that my beauty is a boy:
And here he is! :happy:
He's a handsome one! Beautiful pics!

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Thank you! I love the genus too and am amazed at how much my little T has grown and changed in the past year and a half! :happy:
Very nice pics of the growth, your T is very lovely.
This reminds me of when people post pictures of their child's growth during the first year, next to signs for each month:D Maybe I will do that for each molt with my Ts:rofl::angelic::p:p

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
He's a handsome one! Beautiful pics!
Thank you so much! :happy:

Very nice pics of the growth, your T is very lovely.
This reminds me of when people post pictures of their child's growth during the first year, next to signs for each month:D Maybe I will do that for each molt with my Ts:rofl::angelic::p:p
Thank you! :happy: Hehe, yes, if I posted pics of my Aphonopelma slings after each molt, hardly any change at all! :rofl:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Almost a whole month has passed, and my 1/4" B. albo slings still haven't molted, (great pictures), and a nice way to see the growth rate - exactly what should be done to keep track of all sp. growth rate, from sling to adult - very handsome looking fella!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Almost a whole month has passed, and my 1/4" B. albo slings still haven't molted, (great pictures), and a nice way to see the growth rate - exactly what should be done to keep track of all sp. growth rate, from sling to adult - very handsome looking fella!
Thank you! I've only had NW slings so far and all go through pre-molt phases of varying lengths and more than a month is not uncommon. Some of them have gone nearly a year with a large abdomen and eating little to nothing! o_O Make sure your slings have access to water -- B. albo especially aren't a dessert species and prefer a bit more water/moisture than other Brachypelma. My Aphonopelma sling who hardly ate for a year after I got them could often be found on their water dish. They finally molted a few months ago and didn't appear any bigger! :rofl::rolleyes: But at least now they've been eating everything!

Good luck with your B. albo slings! They are not fast growing but super adorable as they get more and more of their curly hairs! :happy:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
@ErinM31 Thanks, I keep an upturned Lego piece in the 2oz containers, I'm surprised they haven't molted yet, but it'll happen when it happens, I'm not worried, just find it quite long as my other slings which I received after the albo slings have molted twice, but that's the way they grow.

Last edited:

AshS

Arachnosquire
Great little picture timeline. I'm seriously considering finding a breeding pair of hamorii. honestly one of my favourite sp.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
This is an older video on my B. Hamorii molting. Sadly she is no longer with us. She was a good girl. Her name was Ruby

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Since this was originally an older thread, we'll forgive the "smithi". :) And here is my adorable Serafina (don't you just want to hug her?!):
IMG_20180219_075615_770.jpg