Brachypelma hamorii And Brachypelma boehmei Growth Rate?

ECH

Arachnopeon
I know most of my questions are fun but here’s a serious one... Im about to get some of those^ species and would really appreciate if I could get a helpful answer to my question. I love these species and want to know when they’ll get their beautiful colors and size.
Thank you for responding!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Like most Brachypelma, both of these species actually show adult coloration at a very small size. Expect full adult colors at the 2.5" mark, and dulled colors even smaller than that. Both are considered slow growers, but not glacial like some Grammostola by any means.

cold blood

Staff member
Its highly variable...not only with regards to husbandry, but also with the individual.

Most experience slow growth...My experiences in a warm room and fed fatty prey (meal and wax worms as the primary diet) is that growth can be fairly good, especially once they get to over an inch...at this size their appetites seem to pick up as they get more aggressive with prey, and growth actually tends to pick up till about 3". From 1/4-1" though, growth can be pretty slow along with the feeding response..

My female hamorii for instance, went from 1" to nearly 4" in just 2 years.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Depends on many factors, temps, gender, type of food etc. Expect full colors in a century.

Zevil

Arachnosquire
My 2 inch hamorii has a very fat abdomen for 2 months now and is still showing feeding response. And yes she/he has adult coloration now.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
We all heard this, we mean generally for a species.
It gets repeated because it's the most accurate statement. This is generally a slow growing species, but it honestly really does vary on a bunch of factors. For instance, my male was bought from a pet shop that was overfeeding him and keeping him ridiculously warm. In the span of I'd say at most 6 months (likely much less, but I can't remember), he went from 2" DLS up to the 4" he is now. That's not at all typical for the species and I would never believe it if I hadn't witnessed it first hand, but it's possible.

For comparison, it took my female LP 2 years to reach 4", and my two male N. chromatus a year and a half to reach 4" or larger. Both those species generally have a much faster growth rate than any Brachypelma sp.

Pana Lemontzis

Arachnopeon
It gets repeated because it's the most accurate statement. This is generally a slow growing species, but it honestly really does vary on a bunch of factors. For instance, my male was bought from a pet shop that was overfeeding him and keeping him ridiculously warm. In the span of I'd say at most 6 months (likely much less, but I can't remember), he went from 2" DLS up to the 4" he is now. That's not at all typical for the species and I would never believe it if I hadn't witnessed it first hand, but it's possible.

For comparison, it took my female LP 2 years to reach 4", and my two male N. chromatus a year and a half to reach 4" or larger. Both those species generally have a much faster growth rate than any Brachypelma sp.
I mean that most of us(if not all of us) know this. We are asking for others to tell us a general time period of when they mature. A king baboon and orange baboon have far different mature times "heat and food" does not help even if I do know about it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
If I compare the growth rate of both of mine - based on them being the same size when I bought them, both being female, kept at the same room temperature, and fed on the same schedule - my Brachypelma boehmei has grown faster than my hamorii. Both of them are now 4", but my boehmei was purchased a year later than my hamorii was, making her a full year behind.