Brachypelma emilia

jt39565

Arachnoknight
A couple of days ago my emilia molted after an almost month of pre molting, slightly interrupted by a move of mine. I had taken an uneducated guess at sexing to be a female. Well I was wrong, he now has tibial spurs! So I now have a male where as I thought I had a female.
Am I right to assume that he is now ready to breed? He probably has at most 2 years to live? Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated. If he is ready to breed I could possibly be interested in loaning him out or making a trade. His picture is located in my gallery, I don't feel comfortable in disturbing him to get another pic just yet but will soon.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grats.. nothing wrong with a MM and yes if he's matured he's ready to breed however he'll have to make a sperm-web and load up his emboli before he's able to do the deed.

Make sure to post on the Intversonals sub-forum and get him a date :)

jt39565

Arachnoknight
He did in fact lay out a fresh bed of web just prior to going in his hide to molt, is that what he will use or lay a new one. Also I was planning to put him in a new enclosure, would it be safe to go ahead and do that or wait a while?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He did in fact lay out a fresh bed of web just prior to going in his hide to molt, is that what he will use or lay a new one. Also I was planning to put him in a new enclosure, would it be safe to go ahead and do that or wait a while?
He will create a sperm web which is not webbing on the ground as in a molt mat but typically a hammock style suspended web that he'll go under, upside down, and deposit his sperm on then come back and right himself to seem to tickle the web with sperm which will load up his emboli with sperm ready to do the deed.

As for rehousing, is there a direct need to do so? That seems like quite a bit of work and stress to him if it's not in dire need due to such things as mold, mites, etc.

If you don't wish to loan him out or having issues finding a suitable keeper to loan with then that's completely up to you on the re-housing.

:)