Brachypelma emilia Advice

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought this B emilia about a month ago at an expo as a confirmed female. When I was using a paintbrush to gently persuade it into its enclosure it quickly turned around and attached the brush. Once in the enclosure it drank a good bit of water and took a cricket. I noticed the abdomen was rather small, especially for a female. It eats when I feed it and will often drink water. It seems like a normal healthy T. Does this species normally have such a small abdomen? It doesn’t seem to be putting on much size even with regular feedings and constant access to water. First picture is when I got it and second is a current picture.

Attachments

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I doubt there is any relation to it’s gender, and it’s abdomen size.
Generally I thought females tend to have shorter legs and stocker bodies and males have longer legs. I would never try to sex a T based on those characteristics though. More of just an observation.

cold blood

Staff member
. I noticed the abdomen was rather small, especially for a female
you cant tell sex by abdomen size....a small abdomen merely means it molted fairly recently.
Does this species normally have such a small abdomen?
ALL species have a small abdomen after molting
t doesn’t seem to be putting on much size even with regular feeding
It can take many feedings...its not a concern. Now if its a MATURE male, it will never plump like a female or an immature male....but only if its a MM.
I thought females tend to have shorter legs and stocker bodies and males have longer legs.
lol....thin ts give that appearance...fat ts look stockier...and that's it.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Did it just molt?
Feed it more
Yeah .. I think op thinks the spider is naturally slim haha :rofl: .. get it a few dozen crickets or something bigger .crickets my pet stores carry are only big enough for small spiders .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Did it just molt?
Yeah .. I think op thinks the spider is naturally slim haha :rofl: .. get it a few dozen crickets or something bigger .crickets my pet stores carry are only big enough for small spiders .
Emilia put on mass,my female always did

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did it just molt?
Been feeding it every 3 days. Good size crickets too. I have no idea if it molted. This is how it looked when I brought it home from the expo. It ate immediately after it was in its new enclosure. Maybe I will try a hornworm. It just doesn’t seem to be putting on much size even though I have been feeding it regularly.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Been feeding it every 3 days. Good size crickets too. I have no idea if it molted. This is how it looked when I brought it home from the expo. It ate immediately after it was in its new enclosure. Maybe I will try a hornworm. It just doesn’t seem to be putting on much size even though I have been feeding it regularly.
Yeah go for it , I buy supers-worms and some of the spiders barely gain any weight . while others are full and fat quicker . I wish I actually got 50 but o well , pet stores struggle to count them .

Hi
If she is taking food and has water available I wouldn't worry about it too much and relax your feeding frequency. Even if she has been malnourished in past before you got it if she is eating now, she is all good.
I bought a juvenile female at about 3,5-4 inch in 2020.It only eats brown crickets and it took 3 years for her to moult in my care for the first time few days ago and barely putting any size.They are slow growing species and they do nothing in a hurry. Including putting size on.
Mine was a fattie when I got her and only took meals once every few moths during last year and a half.
I think you are stressing way too much about it.Just let it do its thing and she will plump up eventually.
Regards Konstantin

mschemmy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Feed more = problem solved!
I wish that ease the case. I have been feeding it - a lot!! But it doesn’t seem to put on any size. That’s why I was a bit concerned.

Hi
If she is taking food and has water available I wouldn't worry about it too much and relax your feeding frequency. Even if she has been malnourished in past before you got it if she is eating now, she is all good.
I bought a juvenile female at about 3,5-4 inch in 2020.It only eats brown crickets and it took 3 years for her to moult in my care for the first time few days ago and barely putting any size.They are slow growing species and they do nothing in a hurry. Including putting size on.
Mine was a fattie when I got her and only took meals once every few moths during last year and a half.
I think you are stressing way too much about it.Just let it do its thing and she will plump up eventually.
Regards Konstantin
Thanks for the reply. This was very helpful and very reassuring. Much appreciated!!

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Does it leave a normal bolus?
Normally I would disregard sucking stomach issues first but after experiencing it in person with my Ornithoctonus costalis, I tend to take it into consideration.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Does it leave a normal bolus?
Normally I would disregard sucking stomach issues first but after experiencing it in person with my Ornithoctonus costalis, I tend to take it into consideration.
Hope that’s not the case or it might end up a goner like my king baboon years back it could not eat anything. Eventually got so weak it couldn’t drink. Didn’t save the Molt because at the time I didn’t Know it was possible .

cold blood

Staff member
Been feeding it every 3 days. Good size crickets too.
this is a great way to end up with a fat t that fasts for a super duper long time...there is NO hurry to fatten it...take your time and slow down the feeding process. I completely disagree with the feed more mentality...let it plump slowly...the thing has a solid year molting cycle or at least close to that......that's how much time you have to plump it up.....I repeat, there is no hurry. Feed it less, but feed it larger prey. Wait a bit, then feed it a good meal...a horn worm is a good option, as are superworms and even wax worms. These are significantly fattier than a cricket.....which is probably one of the leanest things we feed ts.