Brachypelma decision

Jeff23

Arachnolord
As far as appearance is concerned that is a personal preference and should not be ignored.

As far as choices for what you have been offered, the Juvenile Female is definitely a more solid choice. But you can buy multiple slings and get a longer experience with your Ts and have higher odds of one of them being a female. Both are good choices.

As far as personality and characteristics I believe they are about the same. There will be variations in personality for all of them. My B. Smithi never has never flicked hairs at me but all Brachypelma are a risk for this possibility. If you set up their environment properly and figure out your T's comfort levels with regard to what upsets it, hair flicking will be much less of an issue. Care must also be considered during re-housings. This is another advantage in getting an adult where rehousing won't be an event in your near future.

I let my Brachy get completely settled in her new home for a few days before I started doing things like feeding, changing water dishes, etc. Make the substrate all dry for the adult T with a nice sized water dish always full. Give it a nice hide where it can get full privacy and it will be a happy T. I haven't raised Brachy slings so others can give advice if that is your choice.

EDIT* I also created a small hole on the side near my water dish so that I can refill it with less of a disturbance for my T.

Last edited:

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
B. smithi, already a juvenile so no long wait to see coloration. If you have the patience B.emilia sling, better looking IMO.
I've a smithi, received as 2nd instar sling 2 years ago. Molt cofirmed female and pushing 3" DLS. She has kicked hair on one ocassion and it was a lot. As viper stated its a crap shoot on the hair kicking, but all will do it at least once in a lifetime.
Personally I'd buy both. If only ONE, definitely the female smithi.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Get the smithi now and put the emilia on your want list. The question is almost taken the way some of the reply's are written that this will be your last tarantula. They are the Lays potato chips of the pet world. You can't have just one. The smithi is a known female, you'll love her for a long time. Emilia's aren't rare either, you can always get another sling or you may find a female at a good price along the way.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I sure don't regret getting my smithi sling.Fun little bit-o- spider.Comes out of its burrow when the lid
comes off its deli cup,and sits on top ,waiting for something to happen.If its a female,will probably out
live me.
Plan on leaving my estate to her.And its the only one ive named. "Pud",if anyone cares.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Plan on leaving my estate to her.And its the only one ive named. "Pud",if anyone cares.
Yeah, my heirs are gonna end up with parrots and Ts.

This may not strike anyone else as funny, but on Facebook, someone posted a picture of their T with a simple caption: Martha.
Dunno why, but that name just seems so sensible and solid for a T.
"Oh, and this one is Martha." I imagine they also have a Babs and Madge somewhere in the collection.
Okay, just me. Guess I am easily amused.... lol

Estein

Arachnoknight
Get that smithi! Confirmed female for a good price? You'll have her for a long while :)

dopamine

Arachnobaron
This may not strike anyone else as funny, but on Facebook, someone posted a picture of their T with a simple caption: Martha.
Dunno why, but that name just seems so sensible and solid for a T.
"Oh, and this one is Martha." I imagine they also have a Babs and Madge somewhere in the collection.
Okay, just me. Guess I am easily amused.... lol
You forgot "Helen" lol.

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Get the smithi now and put the emilia on your want list. The question is almost taken the way some of the reply's are written that this will be your last tarantula. They are the Lays potato chips of the pet world. You can't have just one. The smithi is a known female, you'll love her for a long time. Emilia's aren't rare either, you can always get another sling or you may find a female at a good price along the way.
Yes, these guys are addicting!! I currently have 3 T's that I'm raising as slings, so this additional one will most likely be it ....for now!

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I'm leaning towards the 3" female smithi as I already have 3 other T's that are slings right now. At least with this addition I will know I have a confirmed Female..LOL

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I'm leaning towards the 3" female smithi as I already have 3 other T's that are slings right now. At least with this addition I will know I have a confirmed Female..LOL
Seriously -- you can't wrong with smithi or emilia. You'll be delighted when you receive her! Glad you were able to choose! :)

Haemus

Arachnosquire
My vote is for the B. smithi. Love the coloration, although my smithi is a bit of a kicker. At least more so than my G. pulchripes/pulchra or L. parahybana.

but how can you stay mad at this face?

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
I would go for the B. smithi due to larger size and being a female. Our smithi is in 2nd place for hair kicking and attitude. She'll buck in the air and use both legs to kick (really comical).

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd vote for the B.smithi just because it's bigger. Don't be discouraged about the B.emilias growth rate though, I have a powerfed sling that's been molting every 30-35 days since I got it.