Brachypelma boehmei

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
are these hard to find and what could you expect to pay for a sling around 1.5"? are they docile, i've heard they like to kick hairs?
 

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
482
Originally posted by skadiwolf
are these hard to find and what could you expect to pay for a sling around 1.5"? are they docile, i've heard they like to kick hairs?
Yes, these are serious hairkickers. I think they tend to be on the expensive side though I can't recall the prices. You can always chek Swift's or John Hoke's site to see if they have any.

Personally, if you're looking for something more docile that looks similar, I recommend the Mexican Bloodleg. (A. bicoloratum). My
Gizmo is jus the sweetest little guy On the downside, bicoloratums are harder to find the B. boehmi and even more expensive.

Wysi
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
the reason i asked is i recently saw an ad for six of these at $15 each for that size.

i love the Mexican Bloodleg but it disappoints me that the red on the legs turns into black later on...otherwise i'd have one.

i already have a B. smithi that i just adore. :)

thanks!
 

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
May 25, 2003
Messages
163
Hi!
I find that most dealers have them. My Brachypelma boehmei is a hair kicker but I put up with it because she is so beautiful. I can her when I work in her cage. That way she can deal with her own hairs if she wants to kick them off.
Kerry
 

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 27, 2003
Messages
356
I got a 1/4" boehmei from Goldenphoenixexotica for $20. This little guy is a slow grower and very skittish. Most Brachy's are pricey. You can price them on the sites listed in the dealer section.

D
 

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
482
Originally posted by skadiwolf
the reason i asked is i recently saw an ad for six of these at $15 each for that size.

i love the Mexican Bloodleg but it disappoints me that the red on the legs turns into black later on...otherwise i'd have one.

i already have a B. smithi that i just adore. :)

thanks!

I think that is one HECK of a deal for 2 inchers. I say snap them up if you can. ;)

Wysi
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
but then what'll i do with the ones i don't want to keep? (grin) lol! i don't want six little hair-flickers...perhaps one...but not six! lol.
 

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Aug 16, 2002
Messages
1,034
Originally posted by skadiwolf
but then what'll i do with the ones i don't want to keep? (grin) lol! i don't want six little hair-flickers...perhaps one...but not six! lol.
hmmm..............the more you have, the better chances you have of getting females out of the mix, plus boehmi males can always be used by someone that has adult females. they can be rather slow growing so it could be years before the 1.5" can get adult sized. not only will most boehmi readily kick hairs but out of the brachypelma family they seem to have the most irritating hairs to boot. I have a large adult female in a ten gallon reptile style terrarium with a sliding screened top and she seems much less prone to kick hairs than the other boehmi I have in smaller kritter keepers, could be she feels more secure in the larger setup than her room mates.
Ed
 

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Nov 3, 2002
Messages
2,118
Hey Skadi,

I really wouldn't worry about the hair kicking. You can usually tell when they are going to kick hairs. IME, they don't really do it while holding them, they do it when you are bothering them when they don't want to be bothered. But I presume that you are checking your spiders mood with something long now. So if they are bothered by that object and start to flick, your hands should be far enough away to totally avoid the hairs.

I personally think that this is amongst the most beautiful of all tarantulas. IMO, it absolutely blows away A. bicoloratum. But then again, most of the Aphonopelmas are boring to me.

Jon
 

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
482
Originally posted by Big Dragonfly
Hey Skadi,

I really wouldn't worry about the hair kicking. You can usually tell when they are going to kick hairs. IME, they don't really do it while holding them, they do it when you are bothering them when they don't want to be bothered. But I presume that you are checking your spiders mood with something long now. So if they are bothered by that object and start to flick, your hands should be far enough away to totally avoid the hairs.

I personally think that this is amongst the most beautiful of all tarantulas. IMO, it absolutely blows away A. bicoloratum. But then again, most of the Aphonopelmas are boring to me.

Jon
Colorwise and sizewise, I have to agree with you. Temperamentwise, I go with my "pet rock" bicoloratum. :)

Wysi
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
actually dragonfly, the amusing thing is the one and ONLY time i used my finger to brush a T was actually the time i got thwapped. lol.

every single other time i've always used a chopstick to nudge them gently and see the reaction. i was feeling overly confident that day and she had her bitch session. (big grin)

i was told. :( just glad it was a telling-off and not an outright assault though. :D

yes yes, i tend to lean towards the A. bicoloratum as well. (SIGH) okay people i do not need MORE OKAY??? geez. :p
 

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
115
Originally posted by skadiwolf
, i've heard they like to kick hairs?
I have one that 4.5 inches and its butt is bald as Kojak when I walk past the T closet he kicks hair like it is going out of style.

Wayne H
 

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Feb 3, 2003
Messages
315
GD as in good deal

We got ours at about that size for 30 smackers. It seemed a little pricey since it was the first T we had ever purchased but it was well worth it. She is now huge and is very, very beautiful. We love our Gabby, she is our favorite!
 

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 28, 2002
Messages
296
i got a boehmi sling about 8 months ago, it has molted 4 times and as of today its size is 1,25"-1,5". It has already gotten the stunning colors of an adult ;) no hair kickin yet, but she/he is such a beautiful spidey! i'd recommend you get at least one ;)
 

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
82
Hey skadiwolf,
I seen that same ad, and I e-mailed him about them. But as of yet I haven't got a reply. I have one that I picked up from my neighbor(his wife wouldn't let him have it.=D ) but a few more wouldn't hurt.
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
well, i do hope he maybe has one left. they're just gorgeous Ts and i think i'd like the chance to maybe get a SLIGHTLY more challenging T. just maybe. maybe. ;)
 

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 19, 2002
Messages
415
Skadi,
Despite what some others have said about this species I feel and know differently. I have had allot of experience with the species, both males and females. I find they are fast growing it took my female just 2 years to go from 1.5 to over 6 inches. Very fast for a Brachypelma. I also find they will kick hair unmercifully, even though you don’t touch the tarantula its self, you’ll find if you even disturb it and it kicks hair you will feel it. It filters out of the cage, and will get on you. There hair is very very irritating. They are on the other hand a very gorgeous tarantula, and well worth keeping. Despite the Hair I would have to say my B boehmei is one of my favorites and you wouldn’t regret getting one.

I hope this didn’t come across as rude to anyone in any way

Sincerely,

Brandon
 

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joined
Jul 21, 2002
Messages
1,709
Actually, skadiwolf, only the males turn black upon maturity, so you may still want to consider a bicoloratum if the hairs bother you a lot.
 

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
482
Originally posted by Brandon
Skadi,
Despite what some others have said about this species I feel and know differently. I have had allot of experience with the species, both males and females. I find they are fast growing it took my female just 2 years to go from 1.5 to over 6 inches. Very fast for a Brachypelma. I also find they will kick hair unmercifully, even though you don’t touch the tarantula its self, you’ll find if you even disturb it and it kicks hair you will feel it. It filters out of the cage, and will get on you. There hair is very very irritating. They are on the other hand a very gorgeous tarantula, and well worth keeping. Despite the Hair I would have to say my B boehmei is one of my favorites and you wouldn’t regret getting one.

I hope this didn’t come across as rude to anyone in any way

Sincerely,

Brandon
Yes, Brandon....I AM offended........

......

.....NOT!!! You're so offensive! ;)

*tickle*

;P
 

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Joined
May 6, 2003
Messages
645
well, all of the B. boehmei had already sold...(sniffle) so, moot point now. :)

actually, REALLY? only the males turn black? hMMMm... B. bicoloratum just turned a LOT more attractive! (grin)

in fact, the only Brach i have is my B. smithi and it's still very small so i've never dealt with the hairs at all actually.
 
Top