Brachypelma Boehmei and Brachypelma Smithi not eating.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Kick up the temperature a bit, dampen the side of the enclosure a little and they should molt soon. if not than i wouldnt worry about it Brachy's are known for fasting period.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Indeed, if they are not feeding well, then try changing the conditions.

Many creatures like spiders rely on external conditions like heat for their metabolism. So to me, if theyre not eating, its definately worth considering if theyre too cold. Thankyou for reporting you use 18-24c, this indeed sounds too low.

Here is a climate chart for Acapulco, which is part of their natural range
http://www.climatetemp.info/mexico/acapulco.html
You will see the annual minimum is about 22C, and max about 31C. Now consider microhabitat, they commonly live in shady well vegetated valleys and deep burrows, so avoid the highest temps. They can certainly cope with warmer than you have, and may prefer that. Spiders regulate their own temp in the wild, if they are cold they may come out to sit in the sun. Often they live under rocks that absorb the suns rays. They often prefer warm. So try warming them up.

As for the 'they live in dry conditions' thats a legacy of old guide books that say they come from deserts. Completely wrong. Yes much of mexico is dry, but these come from the green pacific coast, which is cooler and more humid than the cool and arid interior or the hot dry north mexico. In much of the range of B.smithi it is rather more humid, especially in the microhabitat where they prefer. So give them a more humid area, easy around a water dish. If you see them hang out there, you should get the hint they are wanting the higher humidity. consider expanding the humid area and see how they react to that. But dont keep them dry please.

You can treat B.smithi, B.boehmei and other redlegs similarly. B.emilia do indeed come from the drier warmer north zone, so prefer dryer and warmer.

Regards
stuart

YearsOfDecay

Arachnopeon
My B.emilia has it between 25-26degC, lowest it drops to is 23 before the stat kicks back in and fires the heat strip up. Humidity is around 70%. I know Stan Schultz has mentioned on another forum that the emilias are known for this, and will often ignore prey for a few days as well as being the good old "pet rock" and sometimes just sitting in the same position for days on end lol!!! Maybe your Brachys are doing the same??? Just a thought. :)

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i've been observing my Smithi sling for last couple of weeks its at stable 80 degrees F and does tend to ignore food (one day it teleports onto a unsuspecting cricket and the other day sits there having a chat with it) now an than and it does the whole "i am a rock" thing so that might be true

cold blood

Staff member
You resurrected a 5 and a half year dead thread to...gasp...suggest what's quite possibly the worst place to buy a t from in the entire country...lmfao...bravo. If I had a choice between "the plague", or that place, I would run in the direction of the plague with open arms.

Someone needs to do their homework.

lolthqueen

Arachnopeon
I just adopted a b. Smithi about a week ago and her Humidity and temperatures are just right, she’s just been pacing her terrarium not interested in food at all. If anyone has found a resolution to this let me know! She also has the slightest bald patch that isn’t dark either but she’s a juvenile and hasn’t molted in a while either. No interest in dubias, and a cricket has been in there for almost a day now 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I just adopted a b. Smithi about a week ago and her Humidity and temperatures are just right, she’s just been pacing her terrarium not interested in food at all. If anyone has found a resolution to this let me know! She also has the slightest bald patch that isn’t dark either but she’s a juvenile and hasn’t molted in a while either. No interest in dubias, and a cricket has been in there for almost a day now 🤦🏻‍♀️
1. Pics of the entire enclosure would help greatly.
2. Humidity does not apply to tarantulas in general but especially this species. They like it dry with maybe some overflowing on a water dish.
3. They need time to adjust to their new surroundings.
4. I'd suggest making your own thread for this instead of resurrecting the dead. :rofl:
5. Take that cricket out if the spider hasn't eaten it by now.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I agree, chasing false specific humidity parameters will not benefit the T.
Perhaps there are some husbandry issues? Pictures of the entire enclosure will help.
What's that rocky looking substrate?

lolthqueen

Arachnopeon
Rocks, and a small bit of sand. She seems to like the texture, otherwise she would just hang out on the walls, I can include photos later when I’m home

Tarantulas R cool

Arachnopeon
Guys I need help I have a brachypelma Emilia and she never eats her mealworms/crickets/cockroaches when I offer them. She only eats them later. But now she doesn’t eat them and she can’t be in premolt because she molted like a month ago!! Please help! (She doesn’t have the bald spot anymore).

Attachments

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Tarantulas R cool first it may just not be interested In food, prey size could be a factor, or it has eaten a lot and is already plump enough, is it’s abdomen particularly large. Also depending on size if your have a sling it could have easily eaten it’s quota for nutrients needed for a molt in a month dending on frequency and prey size. You should post pictures of the Tarantula and the entire enclosure for us to see.

Tarantulas R cool

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks! But I’m at my dads office so I cant right now. I can do at about 2:30 PM.
Thanks. That’s an old foto right now she’s already molted and I’ve seen her abdomen smaller. And I don’t have new fotos.