Brachypelma Albopilosum

MissinTxtr

Arachnopeon
Hello I'm new to the world of tarantulas and am looking to get a brachypelma albopilosum. I'm just not sure if I should get a sling/juvenile or a sub adult. I read that it took a year for someone's T to reach over one inch and If that is accurate I'm not a very patient one. So shoul I just go for a young sub adult?

-MissinTxtr

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
For a first, a juvie or adult is mostly recommended for that exact same reason you state. You could always get a sling later on, if you feel like it.
EulersK has a nice series of videos on YouTube for new keepers with alot of iinformation, it is called AraneAid.

MissinTxtr

Arachnopeon
For a first, a juvie or adult is mostly recommended for that exact same reason you state. You could always get a sling later on, if you feel like it.
EulersK has a nice series of videos on YouTube for new keepers with alot of iinformation, it is called AraneAid.
Thank You!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
B. albopilosum is great beginner choice though as it is Brachypelma it is one of the slower growing species. However not the slowest in the genus.

I believe subadults are readily available in the states.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
BAM

But seriously, albos are a great beginner species. I'd suggest a juvie. That way you can watch it grow without having the stress of a fragile sling.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello I'm new to the world of tarantulas and am looking to get a brachypelma albopilosum. I'm just not sure if I should get a sling/juvenile or a sub adult. I read that it took a year for someone's T to reach over one inch and If that is accurate I'm not a very patient one. So shoul I just go for a young sub adult?

-MissinTxtr
If your not patient than tarantulas may not be for you.

MissinTxtr

Arachnopeon
If your not patient than tarantulas may not be for you.
I'm somewhat patient I just dont want to get a sling and have to wait a year until it's anything that's impressive. Eventually I'll most likely get a sling or a few just to watch them grow and be apart of that process but for my first T is a completely different story.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm somewhat patient I just dont want to get a sling and have to wait a year until it's anything that's impressive. Eventually I'll most likely get a sling or a few just to watch them grow and be apart of that process but for my first T is a completely different story.
With Brachypelma albopilosum it will grow rapidly compare to other species, so if you intend to purchase a sling I would get the albopilosum from "Nicaragua".

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Simple solution. Buy many tarantulas :D to be honest that's how I started.
I bought a B smithi sling from a shady online dealer who's information said it would "be fully grown in a year" shortly after I joined up here and got to see how misinformed I was. So to kill the time in-between this little guy growing I bought an avic from a local shop, then a A genic, LP and OBT from Kelly swift. And then I decided to go to an expo and it's been all downhill since. 160 specimens and counting not including slings

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
There is nothing wrong with looking for a juvenile or adult as your first tarantula and I did the same thing.
Brachypelma albopilosum are not the slowest growing of the species - in my experience they are medium growers and often gain size visibly with each moult.
Juveniles and sub-adults of this species are usually not that difficult to find and won't break the bank, unless they are the Nicaraguan variety which cost more. They are a good species to go with as a larger option. You can often find them for a really good price on places like Craigslist because they are one of the more common species that people sell to free up space for other tarantulas. I have gotten a couple that way myself. The only issue is that they might not be sexed properly and you will end up with a male. But that applies to some dealers too.
I got my girl as a juvenile unsexed, confirmed female when she moulted, and I only paid $20cdn from a private online sale. She has gotten 'fluffier' with each moult, as has my male. I have the hobby versions only.
DSC06753-2.jpg