Brachy behavior

DucknCover

Arachnopeon
The past few weeks I've been noticing some interesting behavior with my juvy B. boehmei. 2 weeks ago it began piling substrate over one end of its log hide. I assumed it just wanted a little more privacy since I keep it to where it can access it through both ends. Well, I get up this morning and find it has piled substrate over the other entrance and walled itself in. I got the T back in October and Initially it ate well and then started to fast back in mid December so assumed it was getting ready to molt...but that never happened. Past few weeks I started offering it food on occasion but it showed no interest. I offered it a cricket yesterday which it devoured...along with another. Is it doing this in preparation for a molt? Or is it stressed? I'm not going to remove the hide and disturb it, but I am curious as to what it's doing. No pictures since my camera is currently not working.

Enclosure is a small to med sized clear container with vermiculite substrate kept at 75-80 degrees and 40% humidity.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would guess you are going to get a molt soon. My Vagans burrowed about a month before molting and enclosed itself.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is likely that if it has completely walled its self in then it is either about to moult or in the process of moulting.

If it doesn't emerge for a week or so. Or if a funny smell develops in the tank then I'd say check on it to see if its still alive and kicking

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it ate two crix yesterday then I wouldn't have thought it was about to molt. Just wait and see what it does. It will come out when it's ready (with or without it's new suit). I've had Brachys seal themselves off for months at a time, only to emerge un-molted and start feeding as if nothing happened. Just make sure the water is topped up in case they sneak out at night for a drink.

kuwala84

Arachnopeon
my boehmies bald patch is blacker than night and just sits on top of its hide like its the king but he wont tahe food.different personalities maybe

DucknCover

Arachnopeon
It is likely that if it has completely walled its self in then it is either about to moult or in the process of moulting.

If it doesn't emerge for a week or so. Or if a funny smell develops in the tank then I'd say check on it to see if its still alive and kicking
LOL...I'm sure it wont come to that.

Only thing that made me curious was the fact it pigged out yesterday. I'm sure it had a reason for doing what it did. We shall see...

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All of my Brachy's are avid landscapers. My B. emilia likes to burrow to the bottom of the container and create a huge cavern, and all the substrate it brings up is arranged. It drops the dirt and spreeeaads it out, then goes and gets more. B. vagans #1 has the substrate in a steep slant, and changes it every now and then. B. vagans #2 would change the design every couple weeks. Sometimes a pilar, sometimes a slant, sometimes he'd flatten it out. B. vagans #3 likes a big pilar in the center going all the way to the top of the cup. B. albopilosum has made the best concealed burrow I have seen. You can't find him and there is no apparent opening. It is like he just webbed the substrate into a blanket which he hides under. My B. smithi has made a few holes and filled them back up, but really seems to like the flower pot hide.

DucknCover

Arachnopeon
Yeah, i love watching it move substrate. Got to see it close the first part of it's hide two weeks ago. It would web it up into little balls and pull them with a strand of silk to the entrance and then pushed them up into a mound. I'm sorry i missed out watching it entomb itself last night though. Glad I have 3 other T's to entertain me. Can't wait for it to show me what all the fuss is about.

DucknCover

Arachnopeon
Pretty sure it came out a one point today...when i got in this evening I noticed a small area it opened up...came back a few minutes later and it had walled it back up again. I think it's playing peek a boo. LOL