Bought 2 Hadogenes paucidens

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The SA thread made me do it:) . I wanted a male and a female in hopes they would breed. I've never kept these before. I don't know how to sex them. Do I have a male and a female here? I have a feeling I don't. I'm not seeing big differences but, I don't know. What do you think:? ? Also one has a lump (last pic). I've read this is due to parasites or impaction... what is it?

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those would be 2 large females. Best of luck if they're gravid. Hopefully you can find a male, and something that will kill a lot of time. ;)

Mike

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh yeah, males have enlongated mesatomas. Forgot about that. Hehe.

Mike

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool thanks. Yeah, a REALLY long metasoma on these males right? I remember seeing pictures now. I looked for that on these but I had forgotten they are sooo long. These are the only two they had. It would be nice if at least one was gravid. Be a long time til I find out I guess.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking of getting this species in the future. Are they really green or it's only in pictures?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The scorps look a little green but not as green as the flash on my camera is making them look. I just started looking around for info on their diet. I just read this, ".... Flat Rock Scorpions feed almost exclusively on mollusks, but in captivity will switch fairly well to crickets and other insects..." Mollusks in the wild? Is this true? I'm going to need a backup on that one.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The scorps look a little green but not as green as the flash on my camera is making them look. I just started looking around for info on their diet. I just read this, ".... Flat Rock Scorpions feed almost exclusively on mollusks, but in captivity will switch fairly well to crickets and other insects..." Mollusks in the wild? Is this true? I'm going to need a backup on that one.
I guess I could picture a scorp going after a a mollusk in the wild, especially with plaps that large, seems it would be easy for the scorp to break the mollousks shell. Is what you read directly related to H paucidens or just unnamed "flatrocks" in general, which is a tad obscure. I guess the species origin would be a good started, especially knownig the variety of mollusks which share common habitat with it.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have 3 of this species. They can be pretty sporadic in their feeding. Mine have readily accepted B. lateralis and B. dubia. The first meals I fed them were frozen/thawed adult B. dubia and they chowed them back no problem.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My female readily accepted a mealworm when I first got her, and lately crickets will mysteriously disappear from her container. I think she should go on a diet, though, 'cause there's pudge sticking out between the segments. :D

Careful handling these guys, Galapoheros -- mine is a SPAZ who got away from my hand and nearly darted up my pant leg, mistaking it for a rocky crevice. :eek:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea, the younger looking one I have is spaz kind of like the Heterometrus I have but the other looks to have less energy. The lazy one is eating a crick right now. That one has a pudge too. What is that? I brought it up earlier but nobody has commented. I've read it might be parasites, impaction... anybody know for sure? Maybe both, or none? Man a scorpion up the pants, that wouldn't be any good:( .

The cricks already gone! and the other is chowing now. When I bought them, there were dead stinking crix in the containers. Maybe I saved them from an early death.

I just found 4 good sized snails in the backyard. I really don't expect anything to happen but going to try it.

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea, the younger looking one I have is spaz kind of like the Heterometrus I have but the other looks to have less energy. The lazy one is eating a crick right now. That one has a pudge too. What is that? I brought it up earlier but nobody has commented. I've read it might be parasites, impaction... anybody know for sure? Maybe both, or none? Man a scorpion up the pants, that wouldn't be any good:( .

The cricks already gone! and the other is chowing now. When I bought them, there were dead stinking crix in the containers. Maybe I saved them from an early death.

I just found 4 good sized snails in the backyard. I really don't expect anything to happen but going to try it.
From a personal standpoint, I've seen a fresh impaction which swelled quote well in the immediate spot, it did become significantally smaller in a week or two but months later there is still an obvious mark which remains. Almost looks like "extra" skin. This occured on the plueral membrane, not near the plates like in your picture. The puncture mark was also evident afterwards, now it is shriveled in a sense and the mark is hidden. If it is an impaction the question is from what? Were they're mates in the enclosure you purchased from? If they are both females and that big, you could ponder a fight breaking out.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just had to post this pic:) . Trouble posting in the gallery. And, I don't see any external damage where the swell is, but the manager of the store I bought them from is kind of a "put them together and watch them fight" freak. So it wouldn't surprise me if it might be injured because of something like that. The swell looks to be shrinking though and she's eating well. I know this is pretty much wishful thinking but, I'm just getting this hunch that the big one might be gravid (not pictured here). Still working on a cage for each.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice picture!! :clap: I can't imagine seeing mine actually using that tiny stinger of hers. I just lift up the rock a minute after I throw in a cricket and see it sticking out her mouth. :D (the cricket, not the stinger)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know what you mean. I never have seen them use their stinger in defense. I still haven't set their cages up yet (doing that today) so I've been watching them catch their crix. They've had several crix each and they usually slowly reach over and give them a little poke, almost every time. Ha, I need to stop feeding them for a while:eek: .

PeriplanetaAmer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Galapoheros, what´s new!:worship: They´re very good looking!! I couldn´t post becouse I had vacations.

Well, they are two females, the male have VERY long metasoma. I think the the scorp that is on the right in the first phot is gravid:clap: .

Good luck!!;) :worship:

Akrabut send me another subadult of these scorpions, but it´s a preadult female anywhere, I think that my adult female is gravid:)