Bottled Water

motorteipidpa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
for the little over a year that i have been keeping tarantulas and other invertebrates i have been using bottled water for their water dishes and misting.Is this really necessary?i dont know why i do it i guess im paranoid the chemicals in tap water will harm the t or something.is tap water fine to use?i have yet to use a single drop of tap water in any of my invert's enclosures.
Tom

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You're being paranoid. I used distilled for misting because it doesn't deposit minerals on the glass and plastic, but for water dishes or substrate wettings, tap it is.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by motorteipidpa
for the little over a year that i have been keeping tarantulas and other invertebrates i have been using bottled water for their water dishes and misting.Is this really necessary?i dont know why i do it i guess im paranoid the chemicals in tap water will harm the t or something.is tap water fine to use?i have yet to use a single drop of tap water in any of my invert's enclosures.
Tom
I have used our tap water for years for my herps and inverts with no problems, this is not to say your water is or is not safe as who knows what is in the water we drink. I do use bottled drinking water for my frogs though.
Ed

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just treat the water as if it was going into a fish tank...let it stand for 24 hours to let most of the chemicals burn off.

Bottled water is probably the absolute safest but I really doubt the extra expenditure is necessary

smithikeeper

Arachnopeon
I have read on a caresheet not to use tap water because of the chlorine and other chemicals in it.

Just my $.02

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by smithikeeper
I have read on a caresheet not to use tap water because of the chlorine and other chemicals in it.

Just my $.02
Given that the majority of caresheets are worth about $0.01, that's not saying much ;)

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
water quality?

I would say in some cases motor's fears might be justified. It depends on the water quality where you live. In okla. I have had problems with water quality as far as excess chlorine, and too high of P.h. I lost a white's treefrog years ago from the poor water quality here. I would play it safe and get a aquar. water test kit to check the basic levels if in doubt. If the levels are fairly consistant then fine, use it . I prefer in my case to use bottled water for my T's because of inconsistant water quality.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a water filter built into the tap on our kitchen sink, so I just use that water for all of my pets.