Bored. P. transvaalicus 4i navigating my hairy arm

bjaeger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"semi-girlfriend"

LOL, tabor! You crack me up :p

Nice handling pics. You definitely have some balls holding them. Most venomous I've ever held would be B. jacksoni. I may try the LQ when I get one after I study it's behavior, of course. ;P

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would much rather handle an LQ than and A.a there less aggressive and just play dead. I know your putting a warning ryan but I wouldn't be surprised if these pics lead to more people holding their hots.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is the T. stigmurus an adult? If not, I may have to contribute to this thread :p

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ha, you'll never get me to handle my Andros, they are kind of like mousetraps...they sit still for hours but as soon as you touch them they snap and spaz out. Except for my A. mauritanicus who seems to be stuck in spaz mode.

The hottest I've handled is a C. exilicauda I recently got, they are very calm.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would much rather handle an LQ than and A.a there less aggressive and just play dead. I know your putting a warning ryan but I wouldn't be surprised if these pics lead to more people holding their hots.
I would hope not. I almost never do, and when I spend about 5-10 minutes feeling out the scorpion with tongs, and when I am ready leave the scorp on my arm or hand for less than a minute.

There's a few tricks you can use to make it slightly safer, but I don't want to encourage anyone.

And also the T. stig is 4i, not an adult... I don't think I'd ever handle an adult one.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Be a real man. show us you can put an LQ on your arm.
Personally I feel A. australis is more dangerous than an LQ, I'm pretty sure they are responsible for more deaths as well. Also I don't own any LQ's and I'm not doing this for voyeurism. :)

cjm1991

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I totally disagree, if you saw my Lq's and then my A.a you would change your mind. My deathstalkers are the meanest scorps I have ever seen. If I put tongs within range they will sting them with such force it feels like its going to break their stinger... but my a.a I can handle usually no problem. Id post pics but that would just get more people wanting to do it. I already have subspinipes handling pics up, hopng noone who doesnt know what their doing attempts this :wall: At least they arent life threating though :rolleyes:

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why would someone need a description of how painful a scorpion sting is?:eek:

RichardMorris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry, regardless of your opinion, LQ is still the badest. Look at the LD50 if you need convincing.

I have 6 LQ (no AA to compare with). I say this from personal experience that if you were to put an LQ on you, you are most likely going to get tagged. They are very excitable and super aggressive.

I wasn't really serious, but I think handling HOT of any type is just plain asking for trouble. And you may be leading others down a bad path in this thread.

quinquestriatus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Calling any wild animal "pretty predictable" isn't being a safe keeper. When people start thinking like that accidents happen. I can't really say anything about not handling "hots" though. I do handle mine. As far as "experience" goes.... It don't matter if you've been in this hobby for 20 seconds or 20 yrs. If you are tagged, the hobby suffers. I'm not writing this to get on to anyone. I'm just writing this to warn newbies. The last thing we need is some newbie getting tagged or worse, a bunch of them and it ruining the hobby for everyone else. As far as the comment about getting the scorps to empty their venom onto tongs before handling..... I feel that is more dangerous than reaching in and picking it up. If a scorp is discharging venom, it's not a happy scorp and you can NEVER be 100% sure that it has fully discharged its venom. Plus even if it does who's to say when it stings you there's not venom on the aculeus? There is NO safe way to handle a hot. The safest way to keep a "hot" is to be hands off. Those of us who are experienced enough and choose to handle them rely on our knowledge of not only the individual scorp we are taking out but, all the knowleedge we have gained through out our life.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tottally 100 percent agree with quinquestriatus(i still have trouble spelling that)

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry, regardless of your opinion, LQ is still the badest. Look at the LD50 if you need convincing.

I have 6 LQ (no AA to compare with). I say this from personal experience that if you were to put an LQ on you, you are most likely going to get tagged. They are very excitable and super aggressive.

I wasn't really serious, but I think handling HOT of any type is just plain asking for trouble. And you may be leading others down a bad path in this thread.
mmm not really... Infact I'd say almost any medically significant Andro is more dangerous than an LQ, sure there is a .07 difference in their LD-50, but Andro's carry way more venom.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Calling any wild animal "pretty predictable" isn't being a safe keeper. When people start thinking like that accidents happen. I can't really say anything about not handling "hots" though. I do handle mine. As far as "experience" goes.... It don't matter if you've been in this hobby for 20 seconds or 20 yrs. If you are tagged, the hobby suffers. I'm not writing this to get on to anyone. I'm just writing this to warn newbies. The last thing we need is some newbie getting tagged or worse, a bunch of them and it ruining the hobby for everyone else. As far as the comment about getting the scorps to empty their venom onto tongs before handling..... I feel that is more dangerous than reaching in and picking it up. If a scorp is discharging venom, it's not a happy scorp and you can NEVER be 100% sure that it has fully discharged its venom. Plus even if it does who's to say when it stings you there's not venom on the aculeus? There is NO safe way to handle a hot. The safest way to keep a "hot" is to be hands off. Those of us who are experienced enough and choose to handle them rely on our knowledge of not only the individual scorp we are taking out but, all the knowleedge we have gained through out our life.
I agree completely. They are NEVER predictable, and stuff could go wrong. I took a calculated risk based on my experience, and I KNEW the risk. Read quinquestriatus' paragraph ten times before you even THINK about handling something "hot".

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It took me a while to learn to. People on here and other forums in the past have shortened it to Quin. If that's easier.
striatus pops up in tons of latin species names, meaning stripes. and quinque = five", break it down in to chunks and its easier. :)