Blue-ring Molt

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I've been keeping large centipedes for a year and a half now, and for the first time saw one in the process of molting today. Yay! One of my blue-rings is just a little bit bigger now.

Size comparison -- the petri dish is 2" in diameter (I think)

Some closeups:

20 minutes later, almost finished!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great pics man! Congrates on the new pede. It's like getting a new pede to me when they molt. Really like the second pic.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does it live in that petri dish? Or is it a molting chamber? And what is that blue stuff? (I'm not going to bash you, I just enjoy learning about different husbandry techniques. I try to keep an open mind about things like that.)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks everyone! To Tyrel, yes, it lives in the petri dish. When Lori first bought me the pair (there's another in a similar dish), we were at the lab where we work and decided to look at them under a microscope for the heck of it. We found a few nematodes and panicked, so we gave them germination paper (the blue stuff -- holds moisture great without molding) and sterile petri dishes. They both have healthy appetites and I re-wet the paper once a week or so. They'll move into larger containers when they outgrow these.

They seem to like tearing up the paper to compensate for not being able to burrow in it.

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome pics! I love the colouration just after molt. I've been keeping centipedes for a while now and I still haven't caught any of them molting :)