blue fang not moving

Tcraze

Arachnopeon
hey every1..i have a blue fang sling at approximately 1.5cm LS..he was totaly normal the day before and today he is not moving at all..seems like in a death curl pose but i dun thk it is cz he stay at a position where the tibia is all going towards the top of the caracspace..whn i try to move him the pedpalp only moved few times weakly...i dun thk it is a dehyrated Ts because i kept it in high humidity and misting the enclosure every 2-3 days..i had him for around 1 month for now and before he only ate twice...

i had moved him to ICu with moisted layer of tissue...

anyway...would it be a DKS?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doubt it's DKS, doubt it's molting.

My experience with cyanognathus is limited, but from the little I do have, I've had difficulty keeping them alive.

Arborealis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry to hear you are having problems with this spider. I don't personally have any experience with them but from multiple sources I've read it is critical to keep the humidity high with this particular species. Unfortunately, as is known with the species that require higher humidity this can cause other issues such as mold, different types of fungi, mites and other undesirable "cagemates", etc.

There's a few different things you might want to look into:

Is it humid enough? Enough ventilation? Any small amounts of mold/fungi in the surrounding area?
Anything strange on the actual tarantula? ie: sometimes near the labrum (mouth area just above the labium) there will be what looks like a white tuft which could be a fungal infection. Sadly, most tarantulas I've seen that end up with this don't fare well in the end.

Hope you figure out whats wrong. Sadly because so little actual research has been done on tarantulas most of what even the experienced hobbyists "know" about tarantula health is based on personal experience and everyone's experience is different.

psykoink

Arachnopeon
I would just leave it alone and see what happens. I dont really find these guys too hard to care for. In fact other then the day I purchased them and set them up I have not seen them 100% since. They dug a huge deep burrow and I have only seen them twice (front legs). The reason I know they are still alive is they push the molts out of their burrows and the food I put in there is always gone the next day. They have molted at least 3 times a piece now. They were about 2 to 2.5 inches when I got them. I keep them in very deep peat with relatively high humidity and good ventilation. My T room is usually between 80 and 85 and all my shelves are heated. They seem to like it warm and humid but not wet. Good luck either way.

I just find it frustrating having such a great looking species that you can never see. When you do, its usually just the front legs sticking out of its burrow.

Chris

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got my blue fang as a sling and never had a problem with him, he stayed buried most of the time. I never really knew when he molted, I would just eventually find his molt dragged over into the water dish. He is really big now. And yes, beautiful, but like the above poster said I usually only see his front legs sticking out of his above ground burrow.