Blood everywhere!!!!!

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im just sayin that if your not gonna care for an animal right dont do it at all;P :wall:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
since blood pythons dont move around too much i think a 55 gallon tank or a 40 breeder should be fine for an adult.

Does this sound correct to eevryone else who has or had own bloods now or in the past?
No way, these things need to have at least a 4.5-5 foot cage, they avg. 6ft in length and are pretty big in girth.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No way, these things need to have at least a 4.5-5 foot cage, they avg. 6ft in length and are pretty big in girth.
Dude. They never move. I knew a guy who kept a 2 footer in a 5 gallon box. It was perfectly healthy and thrived to become 5 feet.[In a much bigger tub though.]

From VPI's care sheet - This is a very heavy-bodied snake. Large adults may have a massive girth. The head is long and broad, wider than the neck; the tail is short and tapers sharply. Most adult females measure 32"-50" in total length, most adult males measure 24"-40" in total length. It’s not unusual for older females to attain 60” in total length and the maximum size for the taxon approaches 6½ feet in total length and exceeds 30 pounds in weight.
So NO the average is no where near 6 feet. It is a huge stretch to say they get 5.

TBH

Last edited:

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So NO the average is no where near 6 feet. It is a huge stretch to say they get 5.

The store owner also swears they grow up to 6.5 feet

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a blood needs a square cage to be able to streatch out COMPLEATLY and 2X as wide as its self and be able to turn around 55 not gonna work I know this because I have one a 55 gallon is 4x18x24

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have 2 bloods, and I'm going to build each of them a 5'L x16"H x2'D cage. I really don't think a 55 gal tank is enough, regardless of if they move alot or not.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The store owner also swears they grow up to 6.5 feet
He's wrong. As are most things that come out of petstore worker mouths. Are you going to trust a pet store worker that has probably never bred a snake in his life or one of the biggest, most trusted breeders in the states.
TBH

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes someone i know who owns a store and breeds his feamle BP keeps her in a 55 and she is 6'
Excerpt from a very reputable site -
Growing to a maximum size of 3-5 feet, ball pythons are not as large as many of the other constricting snakes that are kept as pets
I have seen hundreds of imports of ball pythons in my life but never even a five footer. There is almost no such thing as a six foot ball. They are about as rare as a 29 foot burm. Six feet is about the record for balls. So I dare you, show me just one six foot ball picture with a size reference.
TBH

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 2 bloods, and I'm going to build each of them a 5'L x16"H x2'D cage. I really don't think a 55 gal tank is enough, regardless of if they move alot or not.
Well good for you, I'm sure the bloods will fair fine. I'm just saying don't go toting around like fact that they get 6 feet and need a 5 foot enclosure. Thats like saying all corns need a four foot enclosure when they just don't. I believe a forty gallon breeder [36x18x16] would do just as well.
TBH

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He's wrong. As are most things that come out of petstore worker mouths. Are you going to trust a pet store worker that has probably never bred a snake in his life or one of the biggest, most trusted breeders in the states.
TBH
Hes not just a random store worker hes the owner and yes he does breed many things and hes very reputable. Nothing has ever come out of his mouth that has been farfetched and he has never told anyone anything just t get a sale, i actually witnessed him deny someone buying a pair of mossy leaf tailed geckos because they did not have enough experience in his opinion to keep them. He keeps and breeds many rare geckos and breeds many snakes including bloods and balls and the list goes on. For one of the most supposed biggest and trusted snake breeders in the states just by the way you conduct yourself here on the boards i would never do business with you and wouldn't trust you in a room with the lights out.

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ouch! Well you can argue all you want but prove to me with size reference the 6.5 foot blood size.
TBH

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jdubz this man you speake so frickin highly of breeds geckos right I always though geckos were lizarrds but who knows this guy is appaentally the expert and I wouldnt do bussiness wit you if I was high drunk blind deaf. Thomas keep up the good work

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jdubz this man you speake so frickin highly of breeds geckos right I always though geckos were lizarrds but who knows this guy is appaentally the expert and I wouldnt do bussiness wit you if I was high drunk blind deaf. Thomas keep up the good work
once again you dont follow your own quote. Why is that there anyway to make you appear smart because your appearance is faulty. He does breed geckos and if you read a little further which i am seriously starting to doubt you have the ability to do i said he breeds snakes as well. I think the reason you make such awkward conclusion on the boards here such as this one and the one about the substrate is because you are in fact high drunk blind deaf and just plain ignorant. So in conclusion im glad you would not do business with me because i don't deal with low lives.

DavidD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh stop talkin about yer self bloods dont get that big I know this b/c I have read over 5 articles that say they dont

J_dUbz88

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
stop talking about myself? Where do you get that from? This is the kind of childish thing you can expect form at 14 yr old. Talk to me again when you've matured a little. Not mention we weren't talking about blood size we were talking about ball pythons. Do they teach you to read over in Virginia?

Red Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dude. They never move. I knew a guy who kept a 2 footer in a 5 gallon box. It was perfectly healthy and thrived to become 5 feet.[In a much bigger tub though.]

From VPI's care sheet - This is a very heavy-bodied snake. Large adults may have a massive girth. The head is long and broad, wider than the neck; the tail is short and tapers sharply. Most adult females measure 32"-50" in total length, most adult males measure 24"-40" in total length. It’s not unusual for older females to attain 60” in total length and the maximum size for the taxon approaches 6½ feet in total length and exceeds 30 pounds in weight.

TBH
I found this on Blood Pythons " ... Other common names: Red blood python, Malaysian blood python, Malaysian red blood python, Sumatran red blood python.

Size: This is a very heavy-bodied snake. Large adults may have a massive girth. The head is long and broad, wider than the neck; the tail is short. Most adult females measure 50"-66" in total length, most adult males measure 40"-56" in total length. Older females occasionally attain 72" in total length. The maximum size for the taxon reportedly exceeds 9 feet in total length, but we are unconvinced. We've seen large obese females that weighed 40-45 pounds ... Quoted from http://www.vpi.com/publications/blood_pythons_information_and_care

I also found this interesting " ... Maintenance requirements:

-Cage size: At all ages, blood pythons require a secure well-ventilated cage. A glass aquarium with a secure ventilated top (screen wire or perforated metal) can make a satisfactory cage for a young specimen. Plastic storage boxes, with numerous perforations for ventilation, also can be used to maintain blood pythons. Some of the commercially available PVC, polyethylene, ABS plastic or fiberglass cages probably best accommodate the large size and bulk of adult blood pythons.

We initially place hatchlings in a small enclosure with about 40 square inches of floor space; we have found that often, if placed in too large an enclosure, a hatchling may be insecure and fail to feed. Once regular feeding begins, this species will quickly require a larger space, and we then move them to cages with 180-300 square inches of floor space. As adults, most blood pythons will require a cage with 6-12 square feet of floor space. One of the most common mistakes made in keeping this python is to not provide a suitably large cage for the adults ...

Also quoted from http://www.vpi.com/publications/blood_pythons_information_and_care

Maybe ask Dave and Tracy Barker to clarify?