Blondi vs. Apophysis vs. Parahybana -lots of questions

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully I'll be allowed to get a giant centipede, so all this won't matter for a while. But if that doesn't work, I'm having big trouble deciding which of these to get.
I have two basic t's that are great for holding (a g. rosea and a little black aphonopelma my neighbor caught) and this one would be virtually purely for size. I can handle it being aggressive, unable to be held, requiring lots of humidity, requiring a big cage, being expensive, etc. I just want a BIG tarantula. (before you flame me for that, ask yourself what's wrong with it)
However, it would be REALLY. FREAKING. AWESOME. to handle one of these mega-t's.

So advantages/possible advantages for the t. blondi-
less expensive
easier to handle than apophysis
bulky/considered the largest (fame++!)

t. apophysis-
more exciting/unusual than blondi
larger legspan/another type of largest t (I've always thought that long legs made spiders lots creepier...which is cool)
if i got a male, nice coloration

l. parahybana-
also not as expensive
easier to handle than both theraphosa's

other possible factors include growth rate and visibility.
Unless getting it from a sling dramatically increases the chances of making it handleable, i'd like to get it at 5" or more. (significantly larger than that is waaaay expensive, right? also, can they be sexed at 5"?) If any of these grows a lot faster or slower than the others, that would be important to me. A question for all three candidate species is How long does it take a 5" one to get to 8"? and then after that, how fast does it grow? what's the average adult size of all these?
do any of these make webs or burrows that precludes one from seeing/handleing it for very long periods of time?

Do you guys think that the hairs (which apparently are bad even if the t is docile) and the temperament are such that it's a rarity to be able to regularly handle a theraphosa species?
If you probably can't handle any of the three, that eliminates a variable.

To get the parahybana, for me, they would have to be reeeally easy to handle and only juuuust barely smaller than the blondi/apo. Size is my primary goal. SO: comparing average adult sizes, is parahybana detectably smaller than the other two?
An important question is whether body bulk or legspan makes a larger difference in apparent size.

Help me! I'd really like lots of opinions on this, as I am a little obsessive and want to make sure I got the best possible t. Any advice on how to choose would be greatly appreciated.
(If somebody knowledgeable about this would engage in a chat with me about it, that would be really cool too.)

Last edited:

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just one advice, if you get a Theraphosa Apophysis then dont handle it. I only have a sling, but it is aggressive as he..:evil: I know some who has the apophysis, they have a nasty temper and just the hairs from a sling is annoying, would not want to take a full hit of hairs from a big apophysis.

omni

Arachnobaron
I debated between l. parahybanas and t. blondis, 'cuz I wanted a BIG spider, anything 10+" is immense! I hear there's a good possibility of handling an L. para, so I went with them. They're supposed to grow fast, my biggest is .75" now :}

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would say L / PARAHYBANAS but they can be :evil: :eek: so keep that in mind and i would not hold one no way %%% phil

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, handling an apophysis is out of the question, i guess. they are nasty as slings and grow up to be demons :evil:. they are also fast, very very fast.

i heard of people trying to handle blondis and occasionally even of the blondi in question being more or less reasonable. but those hairs suck big time. really really nasty, itch for days, even if you don't get kicked at (which would be kind of miraculous)...

so i'd go with the parahybana.
1. they grow nearly as big a theraphosa, and certainly as fast.
2. plus, none of the molting issues blondis often have even under seemingly ideal conditions.
3. i like the bulky legs that come with their bulky body - they look more in proportion than either theraphosa.
4. there are quite a few handlable individuals - both my big females can be handled without even kicking hairs, provided you look out for their mood and are careful.
5. hairs not nearly as nasty - i barely have any reaction to them, while theraphosa hairs make me wanna die.

any questiona left?

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Giant spiders are cool, no doubt about it. The agression factor is there
for most individuals of the 3 species in question however. You can get
away with handling L. Parahybana sometimes, but I don't handle my spiders
often. I have loved my T. Blondi and watched him grow to close to 9" now
but I have never handled him amd I am immune for the most part to
kicked hairs.:D :cool: :razz: {D

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would go with an L. parahybana: they're far less expensive, grow fast and while not as big as either Theraphosa they're certainly sizeable. I got mine 2 years ago as a 3/4" sling and now she's pushing 6". T. blondi and T. apophysis are both highly dependent on humidity, L. para tolerates drier conditions so IMO it's a lot easier for novices to deal with. T. apophysis is fairly rare and can be expensive. Now I wouldn't necessarily recommend handling L. para but they're not a definite "hands-off" T like say a Pokie or an OBT. I wouldn't say that about either Theraphosa species.

B.L.

Arachnopeon
I have a small t. blondi thats supposedly captive born and has tried to threaten to kick those hairs at me. However it seems less aggressive then what all the care sheets say. I still would never want to pick one up though. I completely changed all its bedding the other day and never took it out of the cage. I'd be too concerned about dropping it...and I have to admit yeah I am slightly afraid of the t blondi's. :)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
L. para

I bought a 3/4 inch para sling 1 3/4 or so years ago, and now she's pushing 6+ inch. So thats probly a good indication of growth with normal appetite, and feeding twice a week. Can be skittish at times, but I have held her at different times since she was a sling. They definitely get more attitude as they grow. At 6 inch I call her medium fast, she can make quick sudden moves, but rarely a threat pose. As far as urtic hairs, they arent as bad as blondi, but still itchy. I think para is a nice 'big' T with a possibility of being handleable if you keep in mind the potential fang size and what the bite wound might be like when they get large. But, I do hold her at times with no real concern about biting, but then any T can be startled.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So you want a big girl

I would go for the Lasiodora parahybana if you've narrowed it down to just those 3 options. In my opinion make the T. blondi you're next. I have a bunch of Brazillian Salmon slings, they are eating pinheads and b. dubia nymphs, most certainly growing fast. T. blondi is a great species too, but in the long run if you go with L. parahybana and compare the two I think you will appreciate the Brazillian Salmon. They require much less work as well.

Have you considered A. geniculata? They don't get as big, but this is one of my all time favorites. Good luck on getting your first Centipede.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Grammostola aureostriata

I know its not on your list, but consider the Grammostola aureostriata. Very large and most are quite handleable, more so than any on your lst.

Just my $ 0.02

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I go pretty much with the others.

An extra hint: a post molt Para is simply as gorgeous as any "decorative" T. Though my blondi is cute too.

I think those giants hit their peak aggressivity around 4" and mellow as they age, yet in any stage of existence my LP has been far mellower than my blondi.

I plan on getting my apophysis this summer... I'll tell you how cuddly it is!!!!;)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great, thanks for your replies, everyone!

So I'm eliminating the t. apophysis for sure. And it's looking like l. parahybana will probably be it. I just want to make sure, then -
I can expect that (provided I'm careful, dedicated, persistant, etc.) I'll be able to handle one
They are slightly smaller than t blondi, but the difference is so slight I wouldn't notice it, and a large para could be larger than a small t blondi
I can get a nice 5" or more female for <$100

and this is less important, but roughly how long is it between 5" and 8"?

Woo! I'm so close to determining my second choice of inverts!

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pulk, you've gotta empty your mailbox. I tried replying to your PM and it came back.

I think you'll be happy with the L. para if that's what you decide. Blondis have a subtle beauty but they're all brown, that's it. L. paras have much more going on. Pinkish hairs, creamy edges and a bluish black base. A freshly molted one is absolutely stunning. They remind me a lot of a PZB on steroids!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if your trying to buy a giant spider to just hold it i think your gettin it for the wrong reasons.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To a giant T, your finger appears smaller, almost meal sized!!!

I've heard of big old docile LP's but, as anyone here will tell you, without being mean, most might find out you're not a prey AFTER their fangs went thrue your hand. Get a G aureostriata, way less bitey.

Another argument for the LP, though : They never hide. Mine ignored any shelter that I provided and stays in the open!!!!:)

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if your trying to buy a giant spider to just hold it i think your gettin it for the wrong reasons.
I have two basic t's that are great for holding... and this one would be virtually purely for size. I can handle it being aggressive, unable to be held...
@Merfolk
Hmm... maybe if I kept my fingers together, and maybe wore gloves at first, and maybe feed it just beforehand, it would work better. And this is handling on a 2-3 times monthly basis, not on a daily one. :)
Do y'all think it would work?

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Obviously, size is a big reason why any tarantula is desirable as an exotic pet. Big, hairy spiders, how cool is that! Compared to the spiders most of us live around even a rosea is big. I feel after keeping several types of tarantula that some of the best to keep, even for first timers are L. parahybana, OBT's, and P. regalis. BECAUSE, they are easy to keep and very available and inexpensive.....if you aren't irresponsible and have respect for their temperament.

Why in the world do you want to handle a spider with nearly 1 inch long fangs. All three of these spiders have a reputation for at least skittish, nervous behavior. They do not want to be screwed with.

Oh well, get a L. parahybana. I'd like to read your upcoming bite report.

Oh, and remember I told you so when you're rolling around on the floor with a swollen hand, crying. :clap:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's ok... it'll build character - in both the t and in me.
Anyway, a) It's not gonna have 1-inch long fangs if/when I get it, and b) I'm not gonna hold it if I'm not comfortable doing it. I'm just gonna try and see how it works. If I get one at all.

And, just in the spirit of a friendly debate, this isn't really irresponsible for me; a bite is only painful and probably doesn't have permanent damage. As far as the tarantula goes, I frankly don't see how any severe emotional trauma could be caused by occasional disturbances. If that.

I promise when I get bitten I'll pm you the report first. :D