Blondi Problem

wyllomoon

Arachnopeon
Windchaser said:
Hemolymph is clear with a slight bluish tint to it. If it was blackish in color I would go with the parasite theory. Parasites can actually eat a tarantula alive and you effectively have a tarantula that is the walking dead. Some of its functions will continue on even though it is effectively dead. I don't think the outcome for your tarantula looks good.

I've never seen the blood before so I can't say if it is actually black or if a lot of soil got stuck to it to make it look that way. I know that parasites is just as likely but I guess all I can do is try the suggestions offered here and keep my fingers crossed that it is just an injury.

For future reference and my own curiosity (not that I plan to buy a w/c spider again) can anything be done to treat parasites in tarantulas? I know the treatments for herps but I imagine it's completely different.

Thanks for your thoughts.

wyllomoon

Arachnopeon
Anastasia said:
I wouldnt yank it tho, maybe cut careful, above the wound
she will molt it off later
Maybe I would be best to wait it out over night to see if she even makes it? I know, I'm a wimp but the idea of cutting her leg off is really creepy.

Going up to check on her again and look for bleeding. Back later and thanks agin!

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Creepy, not creepy,
if bleeding stopped early enough even wit out leg there is a good chance she will make it
but if she been bleeding for all this time.............
donno...............:?

oh also, I wouldnt put her in the frige to 'culm her down'
like it wuz recomended, (I think I read it here sumwhere) at this point
Good luck, keep posted

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe I would be best to wait it out over night to see if she even makes it? I know, I'm a wimp but the idea of cutting her leg off is really creepy.

Going up to check on her again and look for bleeding. Back later and thanks agin!
I think if the wound isn't actively bleeding, then the potting soil might have already helped the hemolymph clot and worked as a clotting agent. It might also be the cause why it is coloured dark, instead of being clear. Was the potting soil free of fertilizers, btw? If not, get some that is because fertilizers are considered to be bad for tarantulas.

Just place a small full water dish there into the ICU and check her first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed :)

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
try taking a soonful of dry peat moss or something and dump it on the semi detatched joint of the leg.. that should help clott the hemolymph. also if it looks like it is nearly detatched , first I am surprised the spider hasnt dropped the leg. but you could pin the loose leg down with the spoon and try to gently break it free.. keep in mind this would be a prime time for a freakout. if you are really afraid of it then you could try using something to gently but firmlt hold the spider down bu pushing on its carapace to keep it still.. I would start by dumping bits of dry soil on the wound though.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For future reference and my own curiosity (not that I plan to buy a w/c spider again) can anything be done to treat parasites in tarantulas? I know the treatments for herps but I imagine it's completely different.
It depends on the nature of the parasite. There are some insects that lay their eggs in the tarantula and the larva will consume the tarantula as it grows, eventually popping out of the tarantula. For these cases I doubt there is anything that can be done.

I have heard of some very limited success in using antibiotics for some parasites. More often than not the tarantula will die. Part of the problem is that no one knows how much antibiotic to give, which one would be needed, etc. This is generally tried as a last resort since the treatment can be just as dangerous as the infection.

wyllomoon

Arachnopeon
Anastasia said:
**Bump**
Lisa, whats goin on?
Thanks for your concern. Sorry I wasn't able to make it back last night to post an update. I was kept busy with other stuff.

Last night, taking the advice posted here, I sort of dropped peat moss on the leg and that seemed to stop the bleeding (assuming it was still bleeding - hard to tell). I noticed a small injury on the joint of her other back leg as well so I have no idea what she managed to do to herself to get so badly hurt. I'll have to rethink my tank setup when/if she comes out of ICU to prevent any future accidents.

Good news, I think...

When I checked on her this morning, she was pretty "frisky" for lack of a better term. She wanted to get out of that small ICU container it seemed, but I've left her locked up for now since the leg is still just hanging there. Half the water was gone from the dish and her abdomen wasn't all sunken in anymore.

So before I left for the day, I dropped a pinky mouse in. Didn't have time to ask first but I thought maybe it would be helpful if she ate, though I wasn't expecting her to touch it. I've arrived home 6 hours later and the pinky is gone! She ate it all! I hope it was ok to feed her. I made sure it wasn't anything that could fight back or pester her while I was gone. Is it a good sign that she ate?

Anyhow, it looks like she's doing a lot better but I imagine we're not on the home stretch just yet. There's still the matter of the dangling leg that makes it very difficult for her to walk. She just drags it along.

Arachnophilist said:
first I am surprised the spider hasnt dropped the leg. but you could pin the loose leg down with the spoon and try to gently break it free.. keep in mind this would be a prime time for a freakout. if you are really afraid of it then you could try using something to gently but firmlt hold the spider down bu pushing on its carapace to keep it still..
It's not so much that I'm afraid of her, I guess. The spider "freak outs" just make me jump involuntarily sometimes LOL, but she freaks out fairly often when I pick up her little ICU container to take a closer look. I'm just nervous that I'll drop the damn container or something stupid.

Do you think removal of the leg is the best idea? It seems to be in the way and impairing her ability to walk (though she can't do much walking in the small container anyhow). Holding it down with a spoon while she tries to run away doesn't bother me much if it will get the leg out of the way, but the one thing that is running through my mind is the question of whether arachnids or insects in general feel pain like we do. I hate the thought of hurting her more than she's already been hurt.

If you like, I will continue to keep you all updated. All of the wonderful advice given by everyone here may have saved her life (fingers crossed) and I can't possibly thank you enough for your help and time.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If the leg is no longer leaking hemolymph then I wouldn't try removing it. Doing so would cause more stress in the spider which it definitely doesn't need right now. It'll fall off in time. For now make sure it has access to water and leave it alone. That's about all you can do.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. if the spider is eating and not bleeding then it should be alright. it will drop the leg on its own I am sure. I would just keep an eye on it so that it doesnt tear open a new wound as she drags it about and cause her to start leaking hemolymph again. I am glad to hear that your T is recovering.

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That sounds like good news! If half of the water was gone and her abdomen doesn't look sunken in anymore, she quite definitely was dehydrated. And eating the pinky mouse gave her valuable energy for healing.

Seems like she's recovering. Very well done, wyllomoon ;)