black widow

Mattlovesspiders

Arachnopeon
i hope this is the right thread...

recently acquired a beautiful female black widow who came into my work on some grapes from california!

I was going to keep her as a pet but the family gave me a resounding no..

does anyone know any place in central NY where i could bring her?

Id rather see her to a good home vs letting her go in the cold!

thanks!

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
Do you have any pictures of her? I am sure there are some in your area who would love to add a widow to their collection. If all else fails, you could see if someone at your work could hold on to her.

Velarico82

Arachnopeon
HI! I am new here and also just adopted two black widows while at work. One who I named Scarlet was sprayed with bug spray :( but survived!! But changed color (brown) She is my little trooper. Then came along Charlotte, who is a healthy beast! She recently devoured an adult cricket and is claiming her territory in the house! Does anyone know if two can live together? I am completely new to this! lol Thanks in advance!

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Id rather see her to a good home vs letting her go in the cold!
I hope you're able to find someone to take her, but please don't let her go if you can't. There are actually 3 distinct species of black widow in the USA, and the ones found in California (Western black widow, Latrodectus hesperus) are not the same as the ones found in NY state (Northern black widow, L. variolus, and Southern black widow, L. mactans, with a bias to the Northern variant). If she had mated prior to the grapes being harvested, she could produce several egg sacs and hundreds or thousands of offspring.

We need to be mindful of aiding the spread of species where they aren't normally present.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
who came into my work on some grapes from california!
Which are absolutely soaked in pesticides often within days of picking.

One who I named Scarlet was sprayed with bug spray :( but survived!!
Typical of many species of spiders. Extremely resistant to pesticides. The pest companies come in and spray your entire house, turning it into a toxic waste disposal ground, but the spiders present just shrug.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Do not release it. Latrodectus hesperus is not native to your state. If it is an adult female, it may lay an egg sac; thus there is opportunity for an invasive population to set up.

Does anyone know if two can live together? I am completely new to this! lol Thanks in advance!
No. The only way this would work is if you gave them a huge area to live in.

Jadestone

Arachnosquire
HI! I am new here and also just adopted two black widows while at work. One who I named Scarlet was sprayed with bug spray :( but survived!! But changed color (brown)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure she is a Brown Widow.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The medial stripe of that one is very typical of immature Hesperus. But could be Variolus. I'll also positively identify the other as theridiidae. :shifty:

Last edited:

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Which are absolutely soaked in pesticides often within days of picking.
not if they're organic!

i work in produce and had a customer point out some mold in a bag of grapes. i said 'thanks - oh, that's not mold, it's silk - ah, a sac spider - and eggs!' she was... not impressed for some reason. pft buzz off.