Black widow unexpectedly had babies. Help

alex666

Arachnopeon
Hi guys

We have a captive bred western black widow, she randomly laid an egg sac a month or so ago, we were keeping it in a little jar because we assumed it was infertile since she has never been with a man. It was not. Today it hatched. So far we have 4 little fatherless spider jesus babies

The 4 babies that emerged we put them in little cups by themselves with air holes a small twig and some dirt

Is there anything else specific we need to do for the little guys to keep them alive? Is it just general spider sling care?

We live in an area theyre native to so if hundreds do come out we might just release them but we are planning on keeping a few

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@alex666

32 oz deli containers with mesh breathable lids.

Spritz water once or twice a week for drinking.

Feed appropriately sized prey items but not often enough that their abdomens will explode.

Provide a fake leaf or some such for their "lair" from which they'll construct their web.

Keep them in a low traffic area, they don't like the hustle and bustle of daily life.

That's basically it. They're very easy to care for.

20230505_191246.jpg

Richard R

Arachnopeon
Hi guys

We have a captive bred western black widow, she randomly laid an egg sac a month or so ago, we were keeping it in a little jar because we assumed it was infertile since she has never been with a man. It was not. Today it hatched. So far we have 4 little fatherless spider jesus babies

The 4 babies that emerged we put them in little cups by themselves with air holes a small twig and some dirt

Is there anything else specific we need to do for the little guys to keep them alive? Is it just general spider sling care?

We live in an area theyre native to so if hundreds do come out we might just release them but we are planning on keeping a few
I'm in the same boat, except with a captive giant house spider. She had a lot of babies and I don't know what to do with them. I want to release them before they kill or eat each other, and they seem to be able to live independently from their mom.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I'm in the same boat, except with a captive giant house spider. She had a lot of babies and I don't know what to do with them. I want to release them before they kill or eat each other, and they seem to be able to live independently from their mom.
If it’s a native species to your area, releasing them should be fine. They will disperse.

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Did you purchase it as a sling? My guess would be it wasn't captive bred,.that or a male somehow got into her enclosure. Either way the babies are fairly easy to care for if you want to raise them.

Godsmack1934

Arachnosquire
I'd say your doing pretty alright with what your doing as long as you feed them properly sized food and the other basics you'll be able to raise them just fine.

alex666

Arachnopeon
Did you purchase it as a sling? My guess would be it wasn't captive bred,.that or a male somehow got into her enclosure. Either way the babies are fairly easy to care for if you want to raise them.
She was an adult when we got her. So I'm not sure. Maybe they had bred her before?

She's in whats supposed to be a 5 gallon aquarium with a screen lid so its in theory possible a male snuck in i think the gaps are maybe big enough. The whole time we've had her she hasn't laid an egg sac before this was the first and (so far) only one

My partner is the one who's more into spiders and the way he set up the babies is pretty much what all you guys have said, we kept 7 of them and let the rest go outside. They are really cute excited to see them grow up

alex666

Arachnopeon
I'd say your doing pretty alright with what your doing as long as you feed them properly sized food and the other basics you'll be able to raise them just fine.
Sounds good! My partner is the one who is more into spiders the way he set up the babies is pretty much what was posted here. He has baby jumpers he's raising and we have a tiny tarantula sling as well so he has experience with babies, seems like widows should be even easier than the others lol

alex666

Arachnopeon
@alex666

32 oz deli containers with mesh breathable lids.

Spritz water once or twice a week for drinking.

Feed appropriately sized prey items but not often enough that their abdomens will explode.

Provide a fake leaf or some such for their "lair" from which they'll construct their web.

Keep them in a low traffic area, they don't like the hustle and bustle of daily life.

That's basically it. They're very easy to care for.

View attachment 471227
Thank you so much for the guide. The way we had set them up was basically this although we didn't have the mesh lids so they are in tiny Tupperware with a bunch of small holes poked into them. We kept 7 of the babies and let the rest go outside. They are really cute excited to see them grow up

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you so much for the guide. The way we had set them up was basically this although we didn't have the mesh lids so they are in tiny Tupperware with a bunch of small holes poked into them. We kept 7 of the babies and let the rest go outside. They are really cute excited to see them grow up
The reason I mention the cloth lids is because over time it tends to get stuffy in the containers.

You can always upgrade later on.