black widow , fun pet to watch

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
They are a lot of fun to watch ! Just be prepared if she lays an egg sac... ;)

SpiderLadyLyle

Arachnopeon
They're a super fun spider to keep around and observe! Raising the babies after surprise egg sacs is also a lot of fun!

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
@darkness975 Yo, those aren't just cheapo enclosures. They look like container store cereal mod boxes. Yo aren't skimping homie. RIP when you need to buy 3 thousand soufflé cups.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@darkness975 Yo, those aren't just cheapo enclosures. They look like container store cereal mod boxes. Yo aren't skimping homie. RIP when you need to buy 3 thousand soufflé cups.
Not if you let the babies cannabalize first to bring the numbers down.

I have about 5 thousand soufflé cups at the moment though I use them for various purposes.

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I am surprised at how strong their webbing is.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They don't call them "tangle web spiders" for nothing after all!

Despite the appearance the webs are in fact an ingenious creation. It's amazing.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I love watching them prey upon groundborne feeders. Tenacious webspinners!
Have you tried mealworm beetles or other hard bodied prey? I know in nature they take down all kinds of things but I am hesitant to do so for fear of them getting bitten. Those beetle jaws are no joke. I am even hesitant about feeding them to my Tarantulas.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Have you tried mealworm beetles or other hard bodied prey? I know in nature they take down all kinds of things but I am hesitant to do so for fear of them getting bitten. Those beetle jaws are no joke. I am even hesitant about feeding them to my Tarantulas.
They can take down beetles and mealworms with great ease the more the feeder struggles the more the widows webs them up. By the time they bite a mealworm or beetle they are wrapped in layers upon layers of webs and completely incapacitated. Also tossing in a beetle or mealworm stands a good chance of getting stuck in the webs before hitting the substrate too. It will be fine. 😉👍

Last edited:

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
There are photos of them webbing up lizards that were more than ten times their size...

I've stuck to the regular store bought feeders for all mine...