Black Soldier Flies/Grubs for Tarantulas

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Are Black Soldier Fly larvae (calcigrubs/nutrigrubs) okay to feed to tarantulas as a main food source?
Once the grubs turn into flies, are those flies also okay to feed to tarantulas?
Are there any pros/cons, and how do they compare to other feeders in keeping an nutrition?

I have been feeding my Ts mainly crickets, with occasional mealworms and dubia to those that can/will eat them. But I am tired of crickets and I just got some leopard geckos and am going to get some nutrigrubs for them and would like to use them for my tarantulas as well if I can! Especially for my arboreals who can take down flying prey once the grubs become flies.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Soldier fly larvae are much higher in calcium than standard tarantula fare like crickets and roaches. I have seen some claims that excess calcium is bad for tarantulas and can increase the risk of molt problems - but I've also seen a number of people refuting those claims, so it may just be one of those myths that gets bandied about. (Probably is.) How much of that calcium the tarantula can even take in is also debatable.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Soldier fly larvae are much higher in calcium than standard tarantula fare like crickets and roaches. I have seen some claims that excess calcium is bad for tarantulas and can increase the risk of molt problems - but I've also seen a number of people refuting those claims, so it may just be one of those myths that gets bandied about. (Probably is.) How much of that calcium the tarantula can even take in is also debatable.
From what I have read, "calcium is bad for tarantulas" and that it causes molt problems seems to be an outdated concept. I would *think* that the black soldier fly larvae would be great, kind of like waxworms.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Considering some tarantulas eat vertebrates in the wild, calcium is a none issue. W/that said anything consumed in excess is bad.

Fury

Arachnopeon
From what I have read, "calcium is bad for tarantulas" and that it causes molt problems seems to be an outdated concept. I would *think* that the black soldier fly larvae would be great, kind of like waxworms.
so can i feed my Tarantula black soldier fly larvae on regular basis or not?