Black/red ligh + heating

Den

Arachnosquire
I'm having some trouble keeping the temperature high enough for my scorpion. My stupid dad wont let me turn the house temp up to 80-85! Just kidding. So I'm gonna try heat tape. Any advice on how/where to place the tape. Also, I've got a radiant light (simple clip-on) that I've been using above the lid. Once I get the heat tape (and provided it works), I'd like to use the radiant light for display and put a black light bulb in it. I've heard that kind of light is bad for them. Can I cause my scorpion harm by having it on for extended periods of time? Will a red bulb do the same?

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where you put the heat tape would depend on the species you are keeping. If they are a terrestrial species, you should keep the heat tape on the side of the enclosure to decrease the risk of them digging to the bottom and cooking, if you have a bark scorpion you do have the option to put the tape on the bottom of the enclosure. Only negative aspect of using red heat lamps is they tend to dry out enclosures a little too much if the light emitted is in direct contact with the substrate in my experiences. Make sure to keep tabs on the internal temperature of the enclosure as well as the surface temp where the heat tape is place for a few days though. Oh and keep the use of ultraviolet lights on your scorpion to a minimum. I hope this helps.

Den

Arachnosquire
Thank you verry much! It is a Heterometrus sp. Either Spinifer, or longgimanus. I'm going to make a thread dealing with ID on him/her with pictures.