BLACK Florida Anole! Please help with ID?

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi everyone! I'm new to this Forum-usually I am into the True Spiders section. Earlier today I opened the door of my truck and saw a lizard sitting near the inside handle. I have never seen one as this, and I have lived in Florida over 40 years.

Around my house are 100's of Green Anoles, and a very few Brown's. Searching here and in the Internet yielded nothing fruitful.

This Anole was very easy to catch-I even got the impression that it has been well-handled before. I took it inside and put it into a small container with fake plants and lots of wood to climb. Also there is a water cap with fresh water, but I also misted it a little bit with room-temp water. It seemed to enjoy the misting!

Here are some pics. Can anyone give an ID to this pretty Anole? Any and all comments welcome, and thank you for any help! S.

PS-1st pic is it's "stress" colors, other pics are I think it's normal Relaxed color phase. If you need other pics to help ID, let me know. THX! :)

Last edited:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haven't seen one like this. Anolis sagrei is invasive in Florida and will hybridize with the green anoles. So, IMO, this is probably either a hybrid or (more likely) a dark morph of A. sagrei.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
LeilaNami, I did find some info on Anolis sagrei. In one pic the Anole had markings nearly exact as my Anole's. Because mine is soooo dark, these markings show up much more clearly. When it was nearly black with stress colors, my hair actually stood on end! :eek: That first pic doesn't show how black it was.

Thank you so much for your input, LeilaNami!

bugmankeith, Yes, it is a very striking Lizard to see! I've decided to keep it, and will post some full-body pics soon. The terrarium it is into now is temporary and too small to house it.

Updates soon! S.

Last edited:

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LeilaNami, I did find some info on Anolis sagrei. In one pic the Anole had markings nearly exact as my Anole's. Because mine is soooo dark, these markings show up much more clearly. When it was nearly black with stress colors, my hair actually stood on end! :eek: That first pic doesn't show how black it was.

Thank you so much for your input, LeilaNami!

bugmankeith, Yes, it is a very striking Lizard to see! I've decided to keep it, and will post some full-body pics soon. The terrarium it is into now is temporary and too small to house it.

Updates soon! S.
Glad I could help!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice Anolis sagrei! You will have fun with it, going by its head it looks male so be careful if you decide to give it company, a 10 gallon aquarium will be suitable for this guy, make sure he has a basking spot and full spectrum lighting. :)

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I'm already having a blast with this little guy! Nearly done with his new Terrarium, but I am going to look at a tall Terrarium that a friend says I can have. The one I have is a longer one (Terrestial)<-- spelling?, and I also think it is waaay too big (I have no idea the capacity). If I stand it on end, it is more than half as tall as me (I'm 5'4", LOL)

So, that is 'on hold' til I see what my friend has. :)

You would not believe how calm he is! He loves to have a damp Q-tip "massage", and will stay still with both eyes closed. Touching his tail about half-way down is a no-no: Opening his mouth in a "I will bite you" pose shows his objections.

In his temp housing, he likes to stretch out on a long piece of wood, or he will lay on top of the silk flowers to enjoy the sunshine. Misting is a treat for him, and he does get a little excited. Green Bottle flies and small crix are gone in seconds... :eek: LOL!

I would like to get him established on a feeding schedule, as I don't want him to get obese. Does anyone know what would be good? And what other prey items should I get? Variety of prey items I think is great, but I need to know what... :?

Very many Thank You's for your help and comments, everyone! When I get his Terrarium done, I will post more pics! ;) S.

PS-Here's a pic of him basking. :)

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As for diet crickets, and other soft bodied inverts are a good staple, just be sure to dust thec rix everyone and awhile. Waxworms are good treats but fattening. Feed every other day, these guys have a high metabolism. As for water they wont drink out of a water dish and need to be misted once to twice daily. This species is more ground dwelling but as you have seen they do like to climb.

Dont worry about the tank being too big they will use all the space. And males especially enjoy having a large "estate" to themselves.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm already having a blast with this little guy! Nearly done with his new Terrarium, but I am going to look at a tall Terrarium that a friend says I can have. The one I have is a longer one (Terrestial)<-- spelling?, and I also think it is waaay too big (I have no idea the capacity). If I stand it on end, it is more than half as tall as me (I'm 5'4", LOL)

So, that is 'on hold' til I see what my friend has. :)

You would not believe how calm he is! He loves to have a damp Q-tip "massage", and will stay still with both eyes closed. Touching his tail about half-way down is a no-no: Opening his mouth in a "I will bite you" pose shows his objections.

In his temp housing, he likes to stretch out on a long piece of wood, or he will lay on top of the silk flowers to enjoy the sunshine. Misting is a treat for him, and he does get a little excited. Green Bottle flies and small crix are gone in seconds... :eek: LOL!

I would like to get him established on a feeding schedule, as I don't want him to get obese. Does anyone know what would be good? And what other prey items should I get? Variety of prey items I think is great, but I need to know what... :?

Very many Thank You's for your help and comments, everyone! When I get his Terrarium done, I will post more pics! ;) S.

PS-Here's a pic of him basking. :)
Lookin good! I have two anoles and I usually feed either feeder roaches (B. dubia) or crickets. I don't bother with mealworms anymore because I keep forgetting to put them back into the fridge. :rolleyes:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
He's got a red-headed girlfriend!!!

Hi all! Just a little update on my Anolis sagrei. I was walking up to my front door when I spotted something orange on the water spigot. On one side of the spigot was the orange color, on the other side I could see a Anole's body and tail. I'm thinking, "Oh, cool! But what is that orange color?"

I moved closer, and the Anole saw me-then proceeded to try to 'hide' behind the spigot. It stayed put as I got closer, and then I realized that the orange was on it's head. I have never seen this coloration on any Anole. Naturally I got excited, and wanted to see what it was!

I carefully caught it and brought it inside to look at it under my full-spectrum light. At that time it looked like a dull grayish color with some light brown, and some nice markings down it's spine. Also I could see that it was an female. I took a few pics of her for ID purposes, and put her into my temp. enclosure.

Lo and behold! The pics showed much, MUCH better detail! I was very surprised to learn that these Anoles live here. As I stated in my OP, I've never seen them here-and I've lived here since 1985.

She is very cool-looking! Whereas he is such a calm and relaxed, she is totally opposite. Very skittish, jumps at any movements.... maybe she will calm down when she gets to know me.

Both are quite full from their cricket feast, and they love their 'rain showers'! {D

Thank you to all who helped with ID and advice! Will post pics of their big enclosure when I get my camera back from brother. Hope everyone likes the pics! :) S.

Last edited:

Neill

Arachnopeon
When I lived in North Florida (Clay County) I used to keep these wee guys.. they were everywhere along with the 'normal' ones. The males have a big red dewlap that they display prominently when signalling to other males. They are ultra territorial!

xangela9x

Arachnopeon
I found one as well

Today I found a lizard, exactly the same as you described in my back yard. It is anole but black and very docile. I picked him up and he just hung out, seemed very comfortable. When I put him down in the yard he just sits there for hours and I find him in the same spot until I go pick him up. Not sure if something is wrong with him or what but I was interested in getting a cage and taking care of him. Please let me know how things have gone with the one you found and what I need to do this.

I couldn't see the pictures you posted.