Bit of a rescue LP

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Saw an ad on craigslist for a tank for sale w/free tarantula. Price was right, so I go ahead and trek across town last night. After seeing the cell-phone photo, I knew I had to get the T.

So meet Fandango, a 6", 7-legged lasiodora Parahybana. Ventrally, not sure if male or female, leaning towards female (but doesn't matter to me).

First photo - the tank in which she came. One inch of gravel. A kidney dish, with a bone-dry sponge. And her huge, heavy piece of driftwood. EEEEEKKK.

So I gently persuaded her into a gladware, so she could have housekeeping. That's a regular 6" gladware, by the way. She sat on the lid for about an hour after her new home was ready. Coco earth, new half-log hide, better water dish, and her driftwood back.

She has very slowly started a bit of exploring. She's mostly sat on her driftwood (she seems to like it). She did crawl up and over the hide and back down.

Marga

captmarga

Arachnobaron
You can't sex it by abdomen size.

So how much did you pay?
$35. I figure that was pretty reasonable... tank, lid, and spider, even if she/it does only have 7 legs. The guy said it happened at the last molt and it "was entirely his fault" but he didn't say what happened. She seems healthy enough otherwise, and he said she usually eats 6-8 large crickets a week.

I can get a used 10-gal around here for about $8, but the screen lids are $12...

Marga

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
$35. I figure that was pretty reasonable... tank, lid, and spider, even if she/it does only have 7 legs. The guy said it happened at the last molt and it "was entirely his fault" but he didn't say what happened. She seems healthy enough otherwise, and he said she usually eats 6-8 large crickets a week.

I can get a used 10-gal around here for about $8, but the screen lids are $12...

Marga
Pretty reasonable? That's a steal, I also got my 6.5" LP with a 10 gallon for $35.