Birds of Paradise

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Those guys have videos of ever single species' dance--it's absolutely amazing.

One of the oddest things about birds of paradise is that a transformation into a black oval shape facing the female has evolved several times, in different ways and in different dances. Apparently female birds of paradise like a black oval shape.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Those guys have videos of ever single species' dance--it's absolutely amazing.
I believe I saw a Natl Geo hour long video of their efforts but got disgusted by the Hollywood drama narration and music 10 minutes into it. The efforts they went through were unreal. One person got injured and it took them several days to get him to a hospital and so on.

One of the oddest things about birds of paradise is that a transformation into a black oval shape facing the female has evolved several times, in different ways and in different dances. Apparently female birds of paradise like a black oval shape.
The general opinion is the displays are constant works in progress. Little variations find their way in all the time. One person described the rituals as 'Watching evolution in the making'. Several dance companies including the Royal Ballet have been inspired by these rituals.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I believe I saw a Natl Geo hour long video of their efforts but got disgusted by the Hollywood drama narration and music 10 minutes into it. The efforts they went through were unreal. One person got injured and it took them several days to get him to a hospital and so on.
We watched some direct, academic clips of behavior in a class I took about the evolution of diversity. There's no need for anything else--the birds provide plenty of entertainment on their own. BBC earth has a clip with one of them which I enjoyed as a kid, but I haven't seen it since. I seem to remember that the audio is mostly unchanged, except for the occasional addition of David Attenborough's narration, which is always a welcome addition to anything at all for any reason.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
David Attenborough
Always worth watching/hearing.
I recall a discussion where Attenborough was criticized for dramatizing. The reply was, 'No, he's passionate, and an accredited naturalist. There IS a difference.'

That also reminds me of out takes of Steve Irwin interviews where dramatizing was brought up. Then a short cut of amateur video of Irwin encountering a distraught Cassowary. Irwin lay down on his tummy on the grass in the rain and apparently listened to the bird a few inches away as it seemed to explain why it was upset. A rapport.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Steve Irwin
It was a truly sad day when I woke up and heard the news about Steve Irwin. I grew up watching his shows. Some people criticize him and other people praise him, but regardless of a person's stance about that they cannot say that he did not care. He really was the real deal and wanted the best for all animals.