Bio-tank advice needed

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a idea for live plants in a tank with T's. I was wondering if any one has tried this, or has any advice this is what I was going to have in it :

Earth Worms : breaks down bio-matter and a supplamental food source for the T's
Springtails : eats molds and mites
Pill bugs ( Isopods ) also to break down larger decaying matter.
Sundews : great plants that will help if I have a mite/ gnats or pin head infestation
Venus fly trap : always handy.
I'm also going to throw in a fern or two with some moss.

I'll have a small body of water inside the tank 2-3 inches deep, and steps getting out from every side. ( about 15% of the floor space )

Humidity should be at least 80% at all times

Is there ANYTHING else you'd suggest I add to make this semi-sustainable environment effective ?

AND What T would be best in this kind of environment ( 20 gal tank ) I assume this will be too wet for my L. Difficilus ?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Everything else could possibly work, but I am almost certain the venus fly trap won't since they require extremely percise conditions!

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You would have to find a T that could handle really high humidity and moderatly high temperatures. I think it would be cool, i have been thinking about doing something like this myself but haven't had the time to plan.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm going to rain on your parade for a minute, but look at some dart frog terrariums for ideas after I am done.

The Venus flytrap will die unless you match its requirements perfectly. (Which include a dormant period, so you would have to remove it and put it in the fridge)
The sundew secretes digestive enzymes- What would they do to the tarantula? They wouldn't help out against mites all that much either.
Both of these plants like virtually water-logged soils- How will that impact the tarantula?
(Also, earthworms don't like waterlogged soils, and their nutrient cycling could have negative effects on the VFT and Sundews as they are adapted to nutrient poor environments without earthworms)

If you want to set up a tank with water, live plants and a colony of detritivores go ahead, it will be cool and could look amazing. I think more tanks could be set up that way.
Just don't expect it to be at all sustainable as you have described it.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was thinking of something more inverted : 3 levels : Swamp with 2 inches of substrate with moss and sundews. . Plains with 4-6 inches for ferns etc , and a higher level with rock and wood as a T's area. The top area should be rather dry.

I intend to use a small tub as the pool. Weekly are when ever needed I 'm going to pull the plug adding water to the gravel base ( 2 inches ). I could even dry out the pool a day or two, or just put the plug back in and fill it up. Either way I can monitor my humidity.

Would that be too Much for my L. Difficilus ? I gotta have a T live in this thing :)