Big time bad molt..pics...

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well every once in a while you have a great looking T do a very bad thing and here's one of them. My 4 inch or so P rufilata had been doing fantastic up until last night. When I went to look in on her while in the chat room I saw what I thought was her/him sitting on top of a fresh molt. I went to try and get it out for some pics and discovered that it had tried to molt right side up and in doing so had one leg completely caught , another leg on the same side mangled beyond repair, and had screwed up both palps. I had to remove the rest of the molt along with the mangled ,bleeding leg as well as removing the trapped leg just to get it free from the molt. I'm hoping it will pull through and have it in ICU now but am far too much of a realist to get my hopes up. I have seen them come back from worse and if it does it will make a great story but this one is in pretty rough shape. What really sucks is it was getting big and looking awesome. Funny how that seems to happen to the nicest looking ones. Anyway here are some pics of the event.

Phil

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh dear God!!! All these molting disaster threads are starting to give me ulcers. I'm terrified something's going to happen to my babies that will cause them serious injury and death. :eek: :8o

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hope she makes it Phillip. It would be terrible to lose such a pretty spider when it was getting that big.

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry Phillip, Starting to seem like there is something in the air with all the tragedies and eggsacs being ate. Did you have to apply any new skin to the area with the missing leg?
Becky

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nope...

If you take the leg off correctly the bleeding stops soon after. At this point no more bleeding but it's still in real rough shape. I'll update if anything changes.

Phil

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
dude, that sucks.... And what is that gold rod in the 2 picture?

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the gold rod...

It's the tip of my spray bottle. Had to wet it down to get the molt loose without tearing the spider.

Phil

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Dude that sucks. I know what you're going through as I had a P. ornata do much the same thing.... :( It died...

Scott

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aaaaw.
(hugs and hugs)
I hope the sweety makes it through.
That looks gods awful.
Good luck and keep us posted please.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
Oh dear God!!! All these molting disaster threads are starting to give me ulcers. I'm terrified something's going to happen to my babies that will cause them serious injury and death. :eek: :8o
Calm down sweetie! It's the exception! They usually do just fine and have been doing so for millions of years. Go down and get yourself some Mylanta and relax.

As for the sick T, 8 legged hugs to her and I hope she fully recovers. Remember, my H. lividium died and came back to life before a moult. Sometimes I think they're a lot tougher than we think they are. Good luck!

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update on rufilata....

Well as I suspected I came home to find the rufilata dead as a post. Not much of a surprise considering how badly it came out of the molt but still dissapointing. Oh well got to look at the bright side still have plenty of other spiders doing extremely well and sometimes as the bumper sticker says stuff happens. Now I just have to grow me another one. One thing I always try to keep in perspective is this.. If you want to have numerous exotic animals you have to accept the fact that sometimes you will have losses. It just comes with the territory.

Phil

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awe! That's terrible. I feel so bad right now. I wish you luck in the future Phillip.

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Way to keep your chin up

Dude-

Sorry about the loss, but you're handling it well.

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poor little guy :( It looked like a beauty too. I like your thinking though, these things do happen and you just have to move on and get a new baby. There was nothing you could have done. I'm sure it happens in the wild too.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Phillip--

I'm sorry, bud -- at least your T didnt die of dehydration or malnutrition in a pet store or something.. and it least it didnt die from someone stupid stepping on it --

it died more 'naturally' ---

bright side, bright side bright side ---

good luck with your other ones, dude.
peace
dave