big molting girl

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
i never get tired of the molt!

this big rosie just molted for the first time in my care...over a year and a half since i got her, and she had never molted for the person who had her for two years before that (that she knew of).
what a beauty! i'll never understand people who think rosies are plain-looking. i love 'em. anyone who get's bored with theirs, you can send it to me, okay? =)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by krucz36
anyone who get's bored with theirs, you can send it to me, okay? =)
Not okay with me -- I want some too! Perhaps we should divide the continent into sectors and when a G.rosea is abandoned in that sector, the person in charge gets them. ;)

Nice spider, BTW. Very full abdomen.

Cheers,
Dave

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
she's a beaut. you're in canada right? so, i'll take everything...say...south of calgary, and you get everything else. sound good? =)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Only one problem. I actualy live further South than Calgary. Hmmm. Perhaps we should both start with only our homes as territory and then expand -- when our territories meet we can have a battle.

Oh, and to keep the thread on-topic, does anyone know the genetics behind phases in G.rosea? Ts in general?

Cheers,
Dave

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
genetics? *brain lock*

anyway, what sort of battle? i proposed trivial pursuit, since i'm pretty good at that. that or egyptian war (card game). i've only lost that game twice out o f acouple thousand times playing it, so it should be heavily tilted in my favor.
i like it when things are tilted in my favor!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I agree .... I like things tilted in my favour. Boots at dawn? ;) Actualy, by the time our ranges meet, it may be canes and walkers at dawn.

Cheers,
Dave

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
my nightly training in walker to walker combat will finally pay off! laugh at me will they...i'll show them all!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
You see .. that's the spirit!

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. And before I have to eat humble pie, I think I'll take the opportunity to laugh too. ;P

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't believe the color forms of G. rosea are inheretable genetic traits, as both brown and red forms have both be observed emerging from the same eggsac. This is how it was realized that the spiders everyone was calling G. cala were really just a red form of G. rosea.

Wade

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
HEY HEY !! HELLO !! I love Rosies too !! What a beauty ! My first Rosie, shes 4 and 1/2 inches long, and shes molted for me twice. DO you think she'll get bigger ? I hope so !!
MY B.Smithi is 3 1/2 inches ! SHes got growing to do.

Guys, cant we ALL share the Rosies ??? :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wade,

As you likely know, just because it isn't a simple inheritance pattern doesn't mean it is not inheritable. I doubt anyone has ever bothered to study this one, though. To tell you the truth, even if I had the education/brains/money/time/grants/permission
labs etc. etc., I probably wouldn't study it either. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
i have trouble maintaining enough of an attention span to study my fingernails, much less conduct research. why do you think i got into design?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dave-

You're right, it's probably too soon to say that the colorforms are not inheretable.

The question is, from a practicle breeding standpoint, is if you breed red females to red males, do you get all, or at least most, red offspring? I'm not sure if anyone has shown this to be the case, but it could happen. The slow growth rate of these spiders will cause the jury to be out awhile yet! That, coupled with the subjective nature of what qualifies as "red" "brown" and "pink", furthur complicates the issue.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Wade,

Impossible to say, really. I would also wonder if there are environmental factors at play (were the young from the center of the sac red and the periphary all brown?). Alternately, there may be a mix of genetics and enviornment. Siamese cats are a good example of this.

Cheers,
Dave

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like Rosies to.

I live in Calgary, that should count for somthing

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
of course it counts for something. um...well...
you get "back bacon"!
that's something.