Big loss

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Smithi, almost grown-up, female died on 16th this month. She went out her "house" felt on the floor (height about 70 cm/25").
I came from work, and found Smithi in the corner - she could hardly move. She died in an hour...
It's all my fault! The spider has bended steal mesh in her container. I didn't expect such a behavior - she was here since 3 months, never tried to get out.
:8o :cry

Best regards.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
A sad valuable lesson on lids for enclosures. I am sorry for your loss and at the same time this should remind people that they are animals that will try to get out on occasion.They will "test" the boundries of their enclosures. I have seen mine under the cover of darkness walk the whole lid, I am sure they aren't "thinking" escape. But if they feel an opening I am sure they won't hesitate to test it out. Again that is a terrible loss, a very sad day indeed.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your loss, it always stinks when you lose a spider, just press onand get another.

Andy

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Condolances

awww that really sucks..i hope you feel better..

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
how did it bend the steal mesh?
thats making me rethink my OBT and L.parahybana's tanks

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
I think he means "he" made a lid by using bended steel mesh I made my first lids the same way. Not much weight so a larger T could push its way out if it was so inclined.

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank all for "psychical support"!
Mesh/net was glued on 3 sides. On 4. side there was a gap. I think she tried to get through, pushed forward and bended somehow this mesh. The mesh is rather easy to form, mesh is made of still wire (very thin - maybe 0.3 mm).
I don't know how to explain it.

MrFeexit told the right thing! Be careful, our pets wil always try to escape. Don't let them to do that, like I did!

Best regards!

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your B. smithi.

I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago, but with mine, I forgot to close the lid on my A. chalcodes enclosure. She ended up crawling out and falling to the floor, when she did, it ruptured her abdomen. I was sooo pissed at myself, so I understand what you are going through. All you can do is live and learn.

Sorry again, and good luck.

Zibi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm

That's sad :(
Polish: Ale glowa do gory, bedzie dobrze. Jeszcze nie jednego pajaka bedziesz mial.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
no joke, i had a dream/nightmare about this last night. that my female B.smithi fell from her tank and her ab burst like a bubble. i guess this thread and the fact that i was transferring my male B.smithi into a new tank stimulated this nightmare.

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: hmm

Originally posted by Zibi
That's sad :(
Polish: Ale glowa do gory, bedzie dobrze. Jeszcze nie jednego pajaka bedziesz mial.
No wlasnie - jest jeszcze dwanascie innych i beda nastepne, no ale smithi to byl moj ulubiony pupilek!

[translation: cheer up, everything is going to be OK, Many spiders yet before you!
re: that;s right, there are still 12 Ts, but smithi it was my favourite pet!]

Chuck - causing your nioghtmare was not my intention! Now You can imagine what I feel
:)
Rgrds

roylemom

Arachnopeon
My G. rosea got out once because I left the little cap off the hole in the lid, she was fine, but what I noticed was for about a month after that, on a daily basis, she would climb the glass and go strait to that hole. Sometimes it even looked as though she was pushing on the cap!!!:eek: Makes you wonder just how smart are they?

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My commiserations to you.

:(

My adult female B.smithi scared my wife once by lifting it's tank lid while I was out of the house. My wife heard a tapping noise and found her pushing up the lid, while hanging onto the sheer glass sides of the tank. The two of them proceeded to have a battle of strength. My wife won and now we keep a heavy book on the top of the tank. It's taken a few months to get my wife to go anywhere near the Ts again. I think it really scared her to find out how strong and persistant they can be.

FelixA9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I walked into the room one day and the corner of the lid on my 10 gallon acquarium had been pried up. I guess it figured it couldn't squeeze through and decided not to go over the wall but I was surprised at it's strength. I've also caught it fanging the screen on the lid.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry about your loss. But like Mr. feexit stated a valuble lesson not just for you but for others to no the does and donts for T enclosures.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Draken, you have more time than I do... describe what Lanky did when I put him in the deli cup for you to take him.... it was HILARIOUS, but a good lesson on what can happen.

I'm so sorry for the loss, it's especially hard when you don't expect it come home and find it! Well, buy a new T and you will feel much better!

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Draken, you have more time than I do... describe what Lanky did when I put him in the deli cup for you to take him.... it was HILARIOUS, but a good lesson on what can happen.

I'm so sorry for the loss, it's especially hard when you don't expect it come home and find it! Well, buy a new T and you will feel much better!
New T is ordered.
(btw, what is it Lanky??)

noboyscout

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss dude, reguardless of cost it hurts to loose something you have been attached to.