Big female Chaco!

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's the big girl getting fed up before breeding. After the anole-dinner, she will hopefully only have one thing on her mind. I'll be pairing her up very very soon so stay tuned. I was supposed to pair her this weekend but I got too dang busy! :mad:
Real soon though, probably tomorrow. Anyhow, enjoy the pics.

The anole turned a wierd brown color after she took it down. There are still a couple green patches on it's body though.

Attachments

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Atrax, awesome spider. The chaco is on my list of "must buys" but i need to keep the list as small as possible due to money/space issues, as well as getting someone willing to take care of my t's while im away. Anyways, how big is that cage? by adult chaco im assuming shes 8 or 9 inches.

Mark

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bjorgly
Hey Atrax, awesome spider. The chaco is on my list of "must buys" but i need to keep the list as small as possible due to money/space issues, as well as getting someone willing to take care of my t's while im away. Anyways, how big is that cage? by adult chaco im assuming shes 8 or 9 inches.

Mark
Hi Mark! Thanks! :D
She's actually about 7" right now. I know she's got a sight more to grow though. Her and my male are both in 10 Gallon tanks.

See ya!

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob the thief
I got a male chaco that may come to matureity soon.
Hi. Do you have a female lined up for him? I knwo there are a few people with big females that would love to meet him whem he molts out.

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! Yeah, a bunch of my big T's eat occasional anoles. Using anoles as feeders is a bit of a controversy though. They can get a good bite in if they're lucky. I personally have been using them as feeders (mainly for my centipedes though) for a couple years now without a single problem but I'm always on standby just in case. I also only feed them to my biggest and most voracious T's.

Atrax

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think anoles cost too much to be used as feeders -- abouut 7 bucks?

BD

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anoles

Once again I would like to let everyone know that even though anoles are a good food source you might want to consider the risk before you use them.

My Rosie lost a leg to an anole. Stupid lizard tore one of her legs off right in front of me and it happened so fast there wasn't a darn thing I could do about it.

She has since molted and got the leg back so all is cool now all I know is that I have learned my lesson on that one.

-Charlie

T

Tarantula

I think that my 8 inch T blondi would be able to tear down an anole no problem. I think I might try that. THough it may be costly it would still be worth the thrill of watching it.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
wow, she's a nice looking girl!
Unfortunately, I have what I am 99% sure is a juvenile male.
The growth rate is so slow as to be glacial though, so I'm still holding out a dim hope!
Last year at the ATS conference, John Hoke had a big female on display in the hotel lobby.
I'd walk by her every day, drooling over her :)

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
IMO 7 bucks for an anole is quite cheap :). Here in my place we have only one shop selling reptiles. An anole costs, depending which species, from 11€ to 30€. You can nearly transfer it 1to1 to dollars!! For me that is to much for feeding.

PS: How do you transfer inches to centimeters. Because when I do it I see that 7 inches are 17,78 cm. But that can hardly be true. Or how do you size your spiders :)

Last edited:

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Pyrdacor
PS: How do you transfer inches to centimeters. Because when I do it I see that 7 inches are 17,78 cm. But that can hardly be true. Or how do you size your spiders :)
One inch is (iirc) 2.54 cm. So 7 inch is indeed 17.78 cm.
Afaik spiders are being sized from the front legs trough the bottom legs wich makes 7 inch a reasonable size.

correct me if i'm wrong :)

Ðennis

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Hi. Do you have a female lined up for him? I knwo there are a few people with big females that would love to meet him whem he molts out.

Atrax
Here, here!

Joy

P.S. In regard to anoles, my understanding (and observation) is that they change color based on activity level. They're green when active, brown when inactive (I guess dead qualifies as that, LOL). You can buy them for $3 at pet shops here and as little as $1 at local reptile shows, but my daughter has conscientious objections to feeding cute little lizards to big hairy spiders, so I have to do it surreptitiously, if at all. Since there is a an element of risk involved with feeding them, as Charlie can attest, perhaps it's just as well.

Pyrdacor, 7" does equate 17+ cm and 8" equates around 20 cm! It's diagonal legspan, however, measured from tarsus of leg I on one side to tarsus of leg IV on the other.

Last edited:

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ahh, ok, then that is really a reasonable size for a spider. I think here in germany we size spiders from the beginning of the carapace (without cheliceres) up to the end of the abdomen. That was it that irritated me. :)
Why do you get anoles that cheap over there?

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I get anoles for 2 bucks a piece. I have no idea why so cheap here though. Apparently, those of us who do get them that cheap are pretty lucky. :p

Atrax

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am surprised that an anole could take the leg off a tarantula... I was bitten by a large male green anole and it was to say the least, pathetic. A clothespin puts more pressure on me than he did. I sat there syaing come on cant you do better than that?!

Maybe you had a steroid anole or something lol

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i'm really keened on breeding him seeing as Chaco's a little too uncommon now but are much much calmer than say some rose hairs.... When he's mature ill be looking to send him out.

Btw he somehow manages to never stop eating. He's gone through 16 crickets in a day before then the next day a jumbo raw shrimp I threw in. After that meal a few weeks later I thought he would stop eating for a while but he ate a cricket after that. Oh well hes nice and fat now no food for abit gona end up overstuffing the turkey.

Good temperament too , the only displays of aggressiveness was toward a cricket that startled him . He flicked hairs like there was no tomorrow.

T. blondi

Arachnopeon
Thats a very pretty spider you've got there, healthy looking too.

P.S. - is that a bald spot I see?