Big deal about blondis???

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This spieces is on my top 5 most wanted list based on size just because there so damn big, but outside of size is this even a cool or intresting spieces to have i mean there colors to me arnt that great and everytime i see them it pet stors there never out unlike alot of the other big adults the pet store has the blondis are alwayz hiding they seem very secretive can someone tell me the positives and negatives of owning one?

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You hit the nail on the head for the most part... size is the main thing about these babies. I love how people gasp when they see my big female for the first time.

I also like how spunky they are. They seem to know they are big and they have the attitude to match. They dont seem to let you push them around like most other species... they tend to prefer holding their ground and launching nuclear surface to air missles at you (aka. Urticating hairs... blondis have some of the worst)

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah i went into this pet store and i seen a 8-9 incher and i was like wow but its was way back in its cork bark so you cant get a real good look at them they seem to be hidden alot of the time

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love T.Blondis !

I think they are awesome.........I did not care for them much when I first started with T's. I thought most of them looked rather dull.......and I did not care for the reason to get one just because they are the largest, by most opinions, T. But I have had two for about 6 months.......and I really like them alot! If you have a good c.b. speciman, I think they can be quite attractive, in a subtle way. And as Chris says, they have an attitude that cannot be denied. One sling I have is about 3months old, very nervous, always kicks hair, though never hides. It is about 31/2 " now, and is in preshed..........The other one I have.........it is too big to call it a sling!! It is 6 months old.........and eats like a pig. I do not feed them or push them too much, but it is obvious this species needs ALOT of food! The older one I have is already about 5", I find their growth rate just amazing!! The temperaments of the 2 I have vary greatly. The larger on is very calm.......I am sure it is handleable, though I keep away because of the hairs..........But it is very calm, by any T standards. But put anything in there it believes is food, and ......WHAM!! It is a very aggressive feeder! And mine never seem to hide at all. In fact, the 6 month old one has covered up its hide, and stays out all the time. I have never had any shed problems........though I do keep it quite humid, I actually think they are very tough, once they get past the first couple of sheds. I think as they get older ........they can handle it a little drier than some believe. I have a technique I use to keep it humid in their cages, though not new, it is not used much apparently, in T cages. I will post this technique in a day or so......it seems to be quite effective. But ,all in all, I think the T.blondi is one of my favorites, they have a great mystique, and they even seem to know this!;)

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
Ive had mine for about 2 months now and I treat her like a DIVA!! She will let me know under NO uncertain terms if Im allowed to water her or clean out the nasty thing that mice used to be :D (aka the hair attack) She comes out of her cork bark hide everynight. She just molted 3 weeks ago and her red color is really rather pretty, in subtle way. Shes about 5 inches now. And for me yes it was just the pure size that they grew too that first got me, but her behavior is interesting to watch. Ive seen her preen many times and that initself is just cool to watch

Jen

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: I love T.Blondis !

Originally posted by minax
I think they are awesome.........I did not care for them much when I first started with T's. I thought most of them looked rather dull.......and I did not care for the reason to get one just because they are the largest, by most opinions, T. But I have had two for about 6 months.......and I really like them alot! If you have a good c.b. speciman, I think they can be quite attractive, in a subtle way. And as Chris says, they have an attitude that cannot be denied. One sling I have is about 3months old, very nervous, always kicks hair, though never hides. It is about 31/2 " now, and is in preshed..........The other one I have.........it is too big to call it a sling!! It is 6 months old.........and eats like a pig. I do not feed them or push them too much, but it is obvious this species needs ALOT of food! The older one I have is already about 5", I find their growth rate just amazing!! The temperaments of the 2 I have vary greatly. The larger on is very calm.......I am sure it is handleable, though I keep away because of the hairs..........But it is very calm, by any T standards. But put anything in there it believes is food, and ......WHAM!! It is a very aggressive feeder! And mine never seem to hide at all. In fact, the 6 month old one has covered up its hide, and stays out all the time. I have never had any shed problems........though I do keep it quite humid, I actually think they are very tough, once they get past the first couple of sheds. I think as they get older ........they can handle it a little drier than some believe. I have a technique I use to keep it humid in their cages, though not new, it is not used much apparently, in T cages. I will post this technique in a day or so......it seems to be quite effective. But ,all in all, I think the T.blondi is one of my favorites, they have a great mystique, and they even seem to know this!;)

That kinda makes me wanna get one:)

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a male sling grow to over 8 inches in about 18 months. It has three girl friends now! . My female is very different though. She is about the same age and eats WAY less and is about 6 inches. Males eat much more and grow faster in my opinion. If your sling eats like a pig it is most lickly a male. My female comes out only about once a week. It seems to mean she is hungry.

Anyone else have the same opinion on both sexes?

Bob