Big butt after a molt

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can tarantulas eat so much food before a molt that after they molt they still have food left over to last them another molt? or does all the food basically evaporate with the old skin thus the cause for the tarantulas eating the abdomen of the old skin?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can tarantulas eat so much food before a molt that after they molt they still have food left over to last them another molt? or does all the food basically evaporate with the old skin thus the cause for the tarantulas eating the abdomen of the old skin?
I have had several Ts have a problematic molt and molt a second time with no food. They will only do this when they need to correct something that is vital,(book lung repair, or re sheding the linning of the mouth because it maybe did not come out the first time) I have never had one just do a back to back molt with no food for the heck of it.

To answer your question yes they have some reserves even after a molt, but they would always rather eat somemore between molts.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
reserve

I would think they could go a while before needing to watch for prey, maybe a month? , long enough to ensure the new exo hardens sufficiently and the fangs are useful again for prey capture and to ensure the T doesnt starve if prey is scarce for a short while, but I would think a T would like at least one meal shortly after the fangs harden, it must be really energy-draining to go thru a molt.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They can molt more than once.

When I happen to overfeed a spider and it molts, the butt almost looks "normal" size after the molt. That shows that there are plenty of reserves left imo.