Best way to move

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
I was curious whats the best way to move T's into a different enclosure? I have a T in a plastic tub, but I want to move it into a shoe box, so I will be able to stack them with my others and everything. I have a small N.cromatus, and it has made a burrow, so I have to be quick so it doesn't go in, but I read that N.cromatus can be pretty nervous and will kick hairs, and are not a good handling T.

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have a small container, lay it in the enclosure and use something soft (like a soft-bristled brush) to corral the T into it, they cover it and move it, no big deal..

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sometimes it helps to do the transfer in a place that, if the tarantula launches out of the container, allows you access to the escaped tarantula. I've used a large aquarium for some - putting the tarantula's cage into the empty aquarium and brushing or prodding the spider into a vial or other small container. Moving it from the little container is easy. If the spider dashes out of its cage, it will still be in the aquarium. Remove the cage and you should have unobstructed access to the spider.

For larger spiders a bath tub can replace the aquarium. Some people are concerned about chemical residues in bath tubs, so rinse it out and wipe it down if you're worried.

Mez

Arachnoknight
I don't use the bathtub simply because its in the bathroom, far too many hide holes, pipes under sink etc if one did get loose.

heatfreakk3

Arachnopeon
Bill you do make a good point. Thanks for the tip. I have large tubs that I can put his little container in so just in case he does dash for it. (which he has before!).

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
I would strongly reccomend not using a shoebox. The cardboard will moisten and mold over time. Also, I'm fairly certain a T could eventually 'tunnel out' of a cardboard enclosure.

I have/had several N chromatus over the years. Their 'personalities' will vary quite a bit, but for the most part they have been fairly mellow, IME. :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would strongly reccomend not using a shoebox. The cardboard will moisten and mold over time. Also, I'm fairly certain a T could eventually 'tunnel out' of a cardboard enclosure.

I have/had several N chromatus over the years. Their 'personalities' will vary quite a bit, but for the most part they have been fairly mellow, IME. :)
Wait, you do realize, they do make plastic shoe boxxes, right?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I use Rubbermaid or Sterilite containers... nothing fancy needed.

It all depends on the species. Getting them out of their original enclosure has always proved to be the hardest part. :wall: