Best way to melt plastic with no burn marks?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pikaia's idea sounds like the perfect solution. So simple. You just need to find the right size pipe.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have some tests to run :)

I am going to try the carbide dusted bit and the copper tubing method... if those aren't to my satisfaction... I will go with the man who is always right :p Chesire... I should be less stubborn and just go for his method, but its an experiment I guess haha. If these turn out looking very nice anyone interested?

fictitious

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have a drill press that would be the best bet if you can find a diamond coated 1 1/2" bit and go really slow. But the hole saw is good too if you drill with the material on a flat surface, you can get a decent kit with all sizes for about $30 where I live.

They have a standard drill bit mounted in the middle like this
___
====
___ _ is outer circle = is inner "guide bit" (sorry about the bad pic)

MVDaniel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Definitely a holesaw, but try to do it under running water and you won't get burns. As long as you control the heat, you're good to go. Got a hose in the yard?

Mrarachnid1st

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have done both ways and the method that works best is the hole saw. The hole saw you had pictured is for wood and metal and the teeth tend to grab as they cut and can crack plastic that thin. The carbide bit works good for the money but a diamond bit works best. A diamond bore will cost you some money up front but will last forever since you are only boring holes in plastic.

The biggest problem with melting holes is the plastic curls against the heat. I think you are trying to get a flush hole without raising the outside edges. Melting will invariably raise the outside edges.

Biggest thing to remember is to leave the film on the plastic when you are working with it especially when doing any drilling.

The use of a drill press is the way to go. It allows you to direct the bore bits straight and true. If you know where in the plastic you want to drill you can drill more than one at a time with a diamond bit. you will have to clamp the plastic in place to make sure the plastic doesn't try to spin with the bit. The best way to do this is to make a Jig, a wood frame that is the outside dimensions of your plastic. Place the plastic inside the frame and this will keep the plastic in place as your drill.

Last edited:

rockthis68

Arachnopeon
best way to cut a hole in plastic

is thier any way you can post a pic of you progress so we can see your work

Thanks
John Rock

1.4.0 Grammostola Rosea Chllian Rose
0.0.2 Avicularia Versicolor Antilles Pinktoe
0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi Mexican Redknee
0.0.4 Acanthoscurria Geniculata Giant Whiteknee
0.0.1 Brachypelma Sabulosum Guatamalan Red Rump
0.0.2 Chromatopelma Cyanopubescens Green Bottle Blue
0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum Costa Rican Tigerrump
0.1.0 Aphonopelma sp. New River Rust Rump

CharlaineC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
buy a hole set ment for metel. this will give you a blade like a hack saw. next take come 2/4 plywood and make a means to hold the plastic flush buy using build in clamps. mark off you cutting area with masking tape and then pore mineral oil on it and start cutting. the oil will keep the blade cool so it wont melt. the wood will act as a bach so it wont crack. just stop after you feel the cut break through the plastic.

Arachnomore

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is thier any way you can post a pic of you progress so we can see your work

Thanks
John Rock

1.4.0 Grammostola Rosea Chllian Rose
0.0.2 Avicularia Versicolor Antilles Pinktoe
0.0.1 Brachypelma Smithi Mexican Redknee
0.0.4 Acanthoscurria Geniculata Giant Whiteknee
0.0.1 Brachypelma Sabulosum Guatamalan Red Rump
0.0.2 Chromatopelma Cyanopubescens Green Bottle Blue
0.0.1 Cyclosternum Fasciatum Costa Rican Tigerrump
0.1.0 Aphonopelma sp. New River Rust Rump
I shall be posting progress in about 2-3 weeks.. gotta get a diamond bit, some copper piping and the components ordered still. Should be a fun little experiment :)