Best way to keep a plastic terrarium humid?

tarantellaX

Arachnopeon
I rescued a A. Avicularia from the pet store because its conditons in its tank in the store were horrifying. When I got it home it seemed a lot happier. But I know they like there terrariums to be very humid and humidity is a big factor with these t's. So I bought a heat mate for him only to find the heat mate is meant only for glass tanks. He seems to move around a lot like hes trying to find the warmest place in the terrarium and he has never made any web as I have seen other ones do. He is in a plastic terrarium thats up on its side. Whats the best way to keep one of these humid? The hydrometer was almost in the red today. Is there something else I can do to keep the tank warm and humid? :?

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He's not looking for a warm place. You don't need the heat mat. A water dish or keeping the substrate slightly moist is adequate.

tarantellaX

Arachnopeon
He's not looking for a warm place. You don't need the heat mat. A water dish or keeping the substrate slightly moist is adequate.
thats....pretty much what I do, it just seems like its never quite warm enough. But I guess maybe thats all he needs.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He should be warm enough at room temp. 70-80 is fine.
For humidity you can provide a decent sized water dish and can dampen the substrate every once in a while. It should be fine then...............
It can take a while for him to get settled in & web. Weeks or a month. He'll do it when he feels like it.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
all given advice before me is perfect but I want to add that using a hydrometer will just make you go crazy trying to get it perfect. I know alot of people who are BIG in the hobby and never use a hydrometer. I probably never will unless maybe for a T.Blodi but thats it :)

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
all given advice before me is perfect but I want to add that using a hydrometer will just make you go crazy trying to get it perfect. I know alot of people who are BIG in the hobby and never use a hydrometer. I probably never will unless maybe for a T.Blodi but thats it :)
Agreed, and those round, plastic, dial type ones are next to useless for getting an accurate reading. If you really must know the humidity level, then invest in a good quality digital one. Same goes for thermometers. Even then, for the most part you just won't need it. It's just more stuff to fuss and worry over IMO.