Best tame Arboreal / Smithi's with identity problems.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey folks, what in your opinions is the best fairly easy arboreal to own? I was thinking a Versicolor, mostly because I am so paranoid after watching my smithi fall 5 inches today. Yet she still climbs the glass, like she's got a death wish or something. She seems to be quite clumsy when she eats, I noticed. The substrate is nice and pillowy-soft though, so I'm not too worried, given her size. But how many other people have terrestrial T's that climb all day?

Back to the arboreal thing, like I said, I was planning on a versi being my next T, even though I'm told you can have ventilation problems if you aren't careful, but what's a nice easy to raise one that's not quite a pocielawhatsit in temperment?

Bill.

By the way, nice to meet you all.

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
A common pinktoe (Avicularia avicularia) is a great arboreal species. I used to have one myself. Docile, easy to care for and nice looking. I would really consider one.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also give my vote to the A Avicularia. A beautiful species. THey act very cute when they walk. THey molt often in my experience, THey are not a species that hides so you never see it. I love mine.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've not had any problems with my versi, but I haven't had her long. I think as long as you prepare an enclosure with good ventilation, you should be okay. I've never had an avic avic, but it sounds like a good one to me.

As for your smithi, many people recommend you build the substrate up enough to where the T could reach the top and the substrate at the same time. This is to prevent a terrestrial from hurting itself when it's delusions of grandeur make it think it's an arboreal.

Good luck.

Botar

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Climbing terrestrials

Hey Conipto,
I have a G.Pulchra s'ling, and I know I've only had him for a whopping two days, but in those two days he has spent his whole time on the glass sides of the jar. The only time he walks on the substrate is to cross the jar and climb the other side! And he has fallen. I've seen him fall three or four times, and he's only 1", so it scares the hell out of me every time. I think he's clumsy or something. I started a 'burrow' for him with my pinky, and I'm going to wait for nightfall to see if he uses it. But there you go, I also have a terrestrial T that loves to climb. I think he has an identity crisis.
By the way, I don't know my T's actual gender, it's just easier to refer to it if I use a default sex.
The Rookie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Yeah..

yeah, my Brachypelma smithi could be either, but she's been crazy and mean to me like every other female I know so far, so I just took a guess ;)

Bill

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
a moult ago, my curly hair was an arboreal, then a burrower. I think they need to find their own identity.

LOL! Grolsch is a fine lager indeed. only 5 so far.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Climbing Terestrial

A few months back, I left my Stripe Knee, at my parrents place
because i went on Vacation. It usually burrows and hides.
When i got back it was walking upside down from the steel grid
that covers the top of the aqaurium, it was during the middle of
the day to, I had never seen it climb or walk upside down before.

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Climbing terrestrials

Originally posted by Rookie
I have a G.Pulchra s'ling, and I know I've only had him for a whopping two days, but in those two days he has spent his whole time on the glass sides of the jar. The only time he walks on the substrate is to cross the jar and climb the other side! And he has fallen. I've seen him fall three or four times, and he's only 1", so it scares the hell out of me every time
One of my terrestrial slings (Paraphysa scrofa) also seems enamored of climbing the sides of his container and he has also fallen a few times. He is only about 1/2" or so in size, so maybe falls when they are that size are less of a problem. He shows no sign of problems. I wish he would stay down a bit though. I always have to check and make sure he is down on the substrate before I open his container. I don't relish having to chase a little bugger around my office.

Bryan

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Avics...

Hi..

I have 1 A.Avicularia and 2 Versicolors, 1 molt each, and my A.Avicularia has molted twice, is about now close to 1 inch and is a real nice T.

I have noticed first when I got all my Avics they had a behavior where they wandered around the cage like "exploring" and then they settle down.

The other day was funny.
I didn't like the peice of wood I had for my A.Avicularia so I changed it and leaned the new peice of wood to the other corner of the cage and also took the opportunity to clean out some substrate.
Afterwards s/he showed the same behavior as the first time I got her: New "walk-a-bouts" and then after a day s/he started new web.

I also have a around 7 inch. Chaco and when I elevated the substrate up so high so she could touch the ceiling, her climbing behavior completly stopped.
She doesn't even try to attempt any climbing at all.

Both the Versicolor and the A.Avicularia are nice T's.

Kenny