Best housing containers for Damon diadema?

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
am fixing to get one and was hoping someone could recommend a great long term house for one.
also..i was told that they can be kept with a Mastigoproctus.
wouldnt the Mastigoproctus. end up spraying the tailless whipscorp?
whats the chance of one wanting to latch on to the other?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i wouldn't keep them together,the vinnie may take a shot at the tailless(hunting don't know but i wouldn't do it),as for keeping i keep mine in a tall container,corkslab,shallow waterdish,moist substrate,mist 2x week,fed 1x week,and never had any problems keeping them this way(for years)now the tailless can be kept w/each other if the enclosure is big enough w/alot of hiding places,and good feedings hope this helps alittle,the main thing w/these guys is moisture very important(molting very important) good luck:)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wouldn't keep them together,the vinnie may take a shot at the tailless(hunting don't know but i wouldn't do it),as for keeping i keep mine in a tall container,corkslab,shallow waterdish,moist substrate,mist 2x week,fed 1x week,and never had any problems keeping them this way(for years)now the tailless can be kept w/each other if the enclosure is big enough w/alot of hiding places,and good feedings hope this helps alittle,the main thing w/these guys is moisture very important(molting very important) good luck:)
thanks!!
i had reservations about housing them together..and probably wouldnt have done it.
i never mix speci together.
prob is that i cant seem to find any tall containers?
can you post a pic of yours?:)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks!!
i had reservations about housing them together..and probably wouldnt have done it.
i never mix speci together.
prob is that i cant seem to find any tall containers?
can you post a pic of yours?:)
i don't have camera yet:wall: but the containers i use are clear delicups/holes on the sides,still keeps in alot of moisture, the containers are about 8" around,12"tall any type of clear tupperwhare will do,as long as the tailless has alot of room to crawl about and room for molting/hunting.i mist the sides also.you ofcourse can go bigger on the enclosures,but i have sooo many critters it's crazy{D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't have camera yet:wall: but the containers i use are clear delicups/holes on the sides,still keeps in alot of moisture, the containers are about 8" around,12"tall any type of clear tupperwhare will do,as long as the tailless has alot of room to crawl about and room for molting/hunting.i mist the sides also.you ofcourse can go bigger on the enclosures,but i have sooo many critters it's crazy{D
where could i get large/tall deli containers?
i cant think of anywhere to buy some!:)

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
where could i get large/tall deli containers?
i cant think of anywhere to buy some!:)
i got them from the exotic petshop i used to work at sometime ago,the company they get them from it's called SUPERIOR ENTERPRIZES they have all sizes,and they already have the holes :worship: they are not cheap,but they work really well,you can stack em too,check it out. i think if ya get a good number of them you will get some sort of deal. good luck

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i got them from the exotic petshop i used to work at sometime ago,the company they get them from it's called SUPERIOR ENTERPRIZES they have all sizes,and they already have the holes :worship: they are not cheap,but they work really well,you can stack em too,check it out. i think if ya get a good number of them you will get some sort of deal. good luck
i will go look, sir!
thanks a million.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I go to a restauraunt supply store in Austin. Lot of good inexpensive stuff but it's mostly in bulk, great for breeding projects. Sure there's one in Dallas. If you just want one or two good looking containers, I'd go to The Container Store and look around. Allot to choose from but kind of pricey.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I go to a restauraunt supply store in Austin. Lot of good inexpensive stuff but it's mostly in bulk, great for breeding projects. Sure there's one in Dallas. If you just want one or two good looking containers, I'd go to The Container Store and look around. Allot to choose from but kind of pricey.
also appreciated advice.
thank you sirs!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No prob, hey I just realized that you might want to re-ask in the spider/arachnid section. The people that have allot of experience with these might not go to this section much.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lmao..i got a wild hair and went to wallmart and found a 27 quart and pretty tall tupperware container.
its not as clear as i would like, but its not too bad, actually,and i think that the tailless will appreciate the diffused effect.
i got one about half that size but half as tall for the vinegaroon,
also should be cool.
we will see..if i decide i hate them later i will pursue something more to my liking, but really think these will be just fine.
our nearest container store is quite far from my house and figured the short trip to wallmart would beat dealing with the traffic to that part of town.
will post pics as soon as they arrive.

Last edited:

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Best = Talled

The best thing you can pick up @ Walmart is one of those tall Hexagon tanks for a gold fish. Your best off going to home depot. This is based on my personal experience; you will want to house it in the best high humidity African tree as possible.

You can go with a tall 1 gal rubbermaid container with air holes and a cork bark slab stretching to the top - or you can get fancy if you are looking for a display environment.

One perk to going 'display style' is if, and only if, they are the same species of Amblypygi; they can be kept communally and you will most likely end of captive breeding unintentionally.

As long as you have a tall container in which it can perch in an arboreal position, clean fresh water, 70%-85% ambient humidity and feed more often than you would think - you've got yourself a great Amblypygi setup.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The best thing you can pick up @ Walmart is one of those tall Hexagon tanks for a gold fish. Your best off going to home depot. This is based on my personal experience; you will want to house it in the best high humidity African tree as possible.

You can go with a tall 1 gal rubbermaid container with air holes and a cork bark slab stretching to the top - or you can get fancy if you are looking for a display environment.

One perk to going 'display style' is if, and only if, they are the same species of Amblypygi; they can be kept communally and you will most likely end of captive breeding unintentionally.

As long as you have a tall container in which it can perch in an arboreal position, clean fresh water, 70%-85% ambient humidity and feed more often than you would think - you've got yourself a great Amblypygi setup.
Very much appreciated!:)
i think it will enjoy the setup i arranged..its holding moisture and humidty just right..very cave like.
the fellows should be here in a day or two, and i wanted to go ahead and get the environment somewhat stable beforehand.
will post pics as soon as they are settled in.

am thinking though, that maybe the vinegaroon may need a tad drier environment, more ventilated.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dry is what kills Vinegaroons in my experience ... there is that fine line you must walk - humidity _______ mold. Walk that line like Johnny Cash and your Arthropods will do just fine.

Very much appreciated!:)
i think it will enjoy the setup i arranged..its holding moisture and humidty just right..very cave like.
the fellows should be here in a day or two, and i wanted to go ahead and get the environment somewhat stable beforehand.
will post pics as soon as they are settled in.

am thinking though, that maybe the vinegaroon may need a tad drier environment, more ventilated.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dry is what kills Vinegaroons in my experience ... there is that fine line you must walk - humidity _______ mold. Walk that line like Johnny Cash and your Arthropods will do just fine.
i think i know what you mean.;)
walkin the line , it is.

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep a close watch on this mold of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the mold that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I find it very, very easy to be true
Substrate mold can form on you,
Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because it's mine, I walk you're line ...
{D
i think i know what you mean.;)
walkin the line , it is.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep a close watch on this mold of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the mold that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I find it very, very easy to be true
Substrate mold can form on you,
Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because it's mine, I walk you're line ...
{D
{D X10
now that, was good.:worship:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how many gallons min. would you recommend for 2 D. diadema? For 3? (4? 5? :})

Edit: why is this in Not So Spineless Wonders?

Arachnoporium

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Damen sp. enclosure size

Once again, this is just my opinion based on person experience. I tend to go a bit over minimal size. If is important to give them space when housed in communal groups, but you don't want to go too large as it will be harder for them to catch the prey and maintain humidity levels.

I would go by the simple equation of 1 gallon minimum for two Damen sp., and then up the size by 1/2 gallon for each additional one added. Does not have to be exact, just be sure there is plenty of cork bark set up arboreal style, for climbing and perching.

Hope that answers your question.

how many gallons min. would you recommend for 2 D. diadema? For 3? (4? 5? :})

Edit: why is this in Not So Spineless Wonders?