Best First Burrower

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As you can see here in the habitat photo they live in very rocky areas with little top soil so it would be difficult for them to burrow very deep LOL. Now I have seen them take over abandoned rodent burrows which goes deep but I am convinced they didnt dig the burrow themselves.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In wanting a burrower I assume you want one that will do this. If this is the case you will want to get Haplopelma, Hystocrates, Chilobrachys etc

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In wanting a burrower I assume you want one that will do this. If this is the case you will want to get Haplopelma, Hystocrates, Chilobrachys etc
I love the tunnelwork, what species is in there Brian?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That happens to be Haplopelma lividium. H "gigas" is actually a more interesting burrower IMO as it constructs a maze of tunnels. I would get that out and show you but it looks like mine may be making a sac now. I dont want to disturb her.

Speaking of bulldozers and such, any of you all getting the tarantulas from Australia? This is Selenocosmia sp "Eunice" and it is a burrowing fool LOL. I am looking forward to see this one when it gets some size to it.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh very nice! I would love to get my hands on some Aussie Ts, but no one has told me who sells them. Do you know?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Swift and Krazy 8s might still have some. I know they did not too long ago

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i love my little Hystocrates gigas , weather it's actually a gigas or not . it has set up an amazing set of burrows .

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aphonopelma chalcodes

I was just reading about them and they seem pretty cool. How easy are they to keep

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A burrowing T is a pet hole whichever you get :D lol

My suggestions would be:

Citharischius crawshayi - big, chunky, beautiful T's!
Haplopelma: either albostriatum, lividum or minax are my favs.
Chilobrachys make nice burrows. Quite a bit of web too!

The best burrower i have, however, is my Yamia sp. "Koh Samui" It's a dwarf T, but you can't see the substrate for web... in one pot is about 6 entrance and exit holes all the way round. It's beautiful!
I'll get a picture :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You all,
A hentzi isnt a deep burrowing tarantula. I know this for a fact as I live in their natural range. They dig shallow scrapes under flat stones in the wild. Now if you want a true burrower that will tunnel like a gopher go with Hystocrates spp. Most dealers and sellers list them as "Hystocrates gigas" on their lists but that may or may not be the true identity. They are in the genus Hystocrates though for sure and believe me they do burrow!
A. hentzi covers a lot more range and soil and climate types than you live in. and The DO burrow deep ... well at least up to about a foot anyway, which is deep in a terriarum lol if theres not rocks to crawl under they are quite capable of digging a deep burrow and do . In the area of Texas known as the black land prarie, there are areas of some rocks and areas of nothing but black dirt and you will find hentzi burrows under rocks, and right in the side of a road bed , or out in a field of nothing but dirt. In fact even in the hill country there are deeper burrows in the rocks. Galapoheros and i found a burrow sans T but it was pretty deep. not sure where the T was

Last edited:

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here is the house of my sub adult (possibly even adult now!) Yamia sp. "Koh Samui"

Beautiful :D You can see the spiders legs in the hole on the far right. Them thin brown things are legs :D hehehe