Best feeders for scorpions (most convenient)?

Car1os

Arachnopeon
I plan on getting a scorpion in the future and i know i should feed him a variety of foods but would be a good feeder that i would be using more often that others and are more nutritional?

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Mealworms, they last for a good while, have good nutritional value and don’t prove a risk to your scorp as long as you crush the heads before feeding.

Roaches are the overall best feeder but are that prolific they are only a viable option once you have loads of inverts.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Mealworms, they last for a good while, have good nutritional value and don’t prove a risk to your scorp as long as you crush the heads before feeding.

Roaches are the overall best feeder but are that prolific they are only a viable option once you have loads of inverts.
When you say crush the heads... are they still alive and moving or are they dead ?

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
crickets if nothing else available (preferably not from your back yard though!). But only leave them in overnight - remove if not eaten, as they are known to snack on molting scorpions.

Car1os

Arachnopeon

What if i dont head crush?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I prefer crickets and mealworms. Climbing roaches are decent and more reliable being that you can keep and breed them, but I hate using burrowing roaches (such as dubia nymphs) to feed my scorps. The moment I throw them in it seems like they try to dig away.

The main reason to crush the meal worm’s head is so that it doesn’t bite your scorpion (I personally don’t crush them, but if you want to be extra careful).

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I prefer crickets and mealworms. Climbing roaches are decent and more reliable being that you can keep and breed them, but I hate using burrowing roaches (such as dubia nymphs) to feed my scorps. The moment I throw them in it seems like they try to dig away.

The main reason to crush the meal worm’s head is so that it doesn’t bite your scorpion (I personally don’t crush them, but if you want to be extra careful).
Can meal worms actually hurt scorpions with their bite ?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can meal worms actually hurt scorpions with their bite ?
To be honest I’m not sure, perhaps they could hurt smaller ones. Crushing the head slightly might have another advantage though. The meal worm won’t be able to scurry under the substrate as quickly. They definitely still move for a bit as long as you don’t flatten them.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
True... Every time I've tried to feed a meal worm, they start to bury themselves and I'm trying to pull them back out before they get too deep and vanish.

I stuck to crickets after several attempts

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
but I hate using burrowing roaches (such as dubia nymphs) to feed my scorps. The moment I throw them in it seems like they try to dig away.
Thankfully all of my emperors are big enough to eat adult male dubias, they don't burrow and excess males need to be culled anyways, I always make sure to have at least a couple running around in there to make sure nobody is going hungry. My other scorpions all get dubia nymphs tong fed to them, luckily they have all been receptive to it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I plan on getting a scorpion in the future and i know i should feed him a variety of foods but would be a good feeder that i would be using more often that others and are more nutritional?
I use almost exclusively crickets. Just feed/hydrate them well before feeding to the Scorpion.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I breed discoid roaches and Surinam roaches. I prefer the discoids by far. They’re super easy to breed and keep. They can live up to two years. They have a really good meat to shell ratio, and they can’t fly effectively, jump, or climb smooth surfaces. I also feed hornworms to my desert species, because they have a high water content and desert species get most of their water from their food. If you live in a state where they’re legal (I don’t) I’m pretty sure dubia roaches are the same or maybe better.

Car1os

Arachnopeon
I breed discoid roaches and Surinam roaches. I prefer the discoids by far. They’re super easy to breed and keep. They can live up to two years. They have a really good meat to shell ratio, and they can’t fly effectively, jump, or climb smooth surfaces. I also feed hornworms to my desert species, because they have a high water content and desert species get most of their water from their food. If you live in a state where they’re legal (I don’t) I’m pretty sure dubia roaches are the same or maybe better.
I will look into those for sure.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm surprised nobody mentioned red runners (blatta lateralis) roach. They run very fast and seem to bring out the hunting instincts of the scorps I had.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
I agree. I use lateralis as a good addition to meal worms. 👍

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I'm surprised nobody mentioned red runners (blatta lateralis) roach. They run very fast and seem to bring out the hunting instincts of the scorps I had.
I’m currently experimenting with different feeder roaches. I’m breeding one colony each of a few different types to see what I like more and what the scorps prefer. The discoids run around once they’ve been moved out of the darkness as well instead of playing dead, which is good. I do know red runners can climb and stuff, so you’d need to put a layer of petroleum jelly at the top to prevent escapes. Other than that, they’re next on my list to try. I’m waiting on a shipment of lobster roaches right now. There’s so many more choices than I realized before I got scorps!

ignithium

Arachnoknight
I’m currently experimenting with different feeder roaches. I’m breeding one colony each of a few different types to see what I like more and what the scorps prefer. The discoids run around once they’ve been moved out of the darkness as well instead of playing dead, which is good. I do know red runners can climb and stuff, so you’d need to put a layer of petroleum jelly at the top to prevent escapes. Other than that, they’re next on my list to try. I’m waiting on a shipment of lobster roaches right now. There’s so many more choices than I realized before I got scorps!
I don't know if the lateralis they are having at America is different, but I'm breed lateralis roach and at least the one that we are having in Europe, it definitely can't of climbing to plastic or glass.

Other than this also I use species is it called "blaberus sp. Kenya" it's somewhat rare species that is on very small, like a baby of cricket, and also this species does not make of climbing really.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I heard they’re escape artists, but I could be wrong. I haven’t looked into them much because my discoids work so well for me. But I do plan on ordering a starter colony in the near future.