Best display blue tarantula?

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Common names suck, but I can't remember all the scientific ones so I stick to the common names. :depressed:
It can be hard at first, but I really would recommend you try harder to get the scientific names down. With 1,000+ species (obviously most aren't in the hobby), there's only so many combinations of generic words that can be formed into a common name. Take "Texas Brown" for instance: certainly it's an Aphonopelma, but aside from that it's really a guessing game since there's really no guarantee of it's source locality. Same goes for red leg, red knee, fire leg, fire knee. Sure there's certain species that are more commonly referred to as something, but we've all seen misidentified Brachys due to common name use. And what about B hamorii / B smithi? Are there even two separate common names for these species? Not to mention shops are notorious for just making up names.

Since most of us use scientific, the more you research and read on here, the easier it should become. Just get in the habit of completely ignoring the common names - only label using their proper taxonomic name, keep your wish list and feeding/molting notes the same way. Start with getting the genus down, then move onto individual species.

As for the best blue display T, GBB hands down. (I realize the irony in using the acronym here after what I initially said, but there are always exceptions. GBB, OBT, LP, etc)

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
There was one guy recently who was gifted a omothymus/cyriopagopus sp hati hati as a first T because the store labeled it as Haitian purple earth tiger. I wonder how he’s doing

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
They are both nice, but C. versicolor doesn't stay blue for long.
Tell that to my 4 inch C. versi and yes they stay blue throughout their life span. Their abdomens changes from blue to a beautiful purple-pinkish color which is the main body part that drastically changes. Also same colors on the legs but still have blue as well.

As they mature they become a darker blue. For people that are color blind it would be hard to tell as it is more of a navy blue.

Last edited:

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Tell that to my 4 inch C. versi and yes they stay blue throughout their life span. Their abdomens changes from blue to a beautiful purple-pinkish color which is the main body part that drastically changes. Also same colors on the legs but still have blue as well.

As they mature they become a darker blue. For people that are color blind it would be hard to tell as it is more of a navy blue.
They become anything but blue! Green carapace, red abdomen, red hairs on the legs.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
They become anything but blue! Green carapace, red abdomen, red hairs on the legs.
I believe there was some discussion a bit ago about there being two color forms of this species. One that was more red and another that wasn’t, not sure if it was actually blue though.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
All the Blue Asians are holes. P. Mets don't like light so they hide a lot. P Saz, pretty much a hole as well.
If you want blue and want to see it, GBB and Dolicothele diamentinensis

WolleWolf

Arachnopeon
Thrixopelma lagunas is a beauty, I´ve never owned one but they are a long time on my list.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Grammostola acteon or iheringi are also nice.
Are those really that blue..? Never kept them but from the pics/vids I've seen that's a generous description. Maybe it comes through more in person but they seem much more black, albeit a very subtle blue-black. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Are those really that blue..? Never kept them but from the pics/vids I've seen that's a generous description. Maybe it comes through more in person but they seem much more black, albeit a very subtle blue-black. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.
It has very subtle blue to it, but mostly appears black, at least from what I can see on my 3” one. I’m crossing my fingers the blue is more apparent as it grows.

In the pic the left side of the T is hit by some natural sunlight and the right side of the T is not being hit with sunlight and darker appearing.

67264D29-BF61-4566-8560-24574F3CE67C.jpeg

Jess S

Arachnobaron
P sazimai are blue under the right light, and go a lovely light inky blue when freshly moulted. My female is always out so I'd consider her a display tarantula.