Best Brachypelma for Display?

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would also vote for a B. smithi. Not only is it beautiful but it wont kick hairs as much as, say a boehmei (mine kicks as soon as she senses me cleaning up food boli, etc.)

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks but I really am not planning to breed them just yet. If they take forever to live, then maybe some other time. Cuz its already expensive getting them, Im not planning to get same species. But hey, howcome if I get 3, 7 out of 8 is 1 female? Are female ratios more?

THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP! Now you guys are tempting me to spend more and get more Brachys!
ummm the ratio question again lol:wall: if i were you, i'd look up the threads that cover that, its more of an argument then a science it seems, so shhhhhhhh......if you buy 5:? there should be at least one female:eek:

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^^ But theres still a chance Ill get all males? lol

But Ill probably get partners next time.

Norsken

Arachnopeon
I have 15 different Brachy's of 9 species: albopilosum, boehmei, emilia, klaasi, sabolosum, schroderi, smithi, vagans and verdezi. and i'm getting the prettiest of them all later this month, the auratum. I say: get them all, they are all gorgeus..............

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You left out albiceps and baumgarteni and oh nevermind, I thought you said you had all species.... NICE COLLECTION!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sweetmisery, even if you get males, you will still have them and enjoy them for many years (if you take proper care) as brachys are slow growing especially if you don't power feed, something I don't recommend anyway. Once the males mature, you will search for a female and hopefully you will have a few of his babies to carry on. I've seen more and more board members from the Philippines so in a few years it shouldn't be a problem locating females of the more common tarantula species. If you take good care of your spiders, set them up in a nice habitat and invite friends over and don't be a jerk about them and show them how interesting they are, maybe some of your friends will get into the hobby too! I managed to get one of my friends to get a spider, unfortunately, her husband won't let her keep it in the home, so even though it is hers, it lives with me hahahahahahaha {D {D {D {D .

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ummm the ratio question again lol:wall: if i were you, i'd look up the threads that cover that, its more of an argument then a science it seems, so shhhhhhhh......if you buy 5:? there should be at least one female:eek:
It's not science, it's basic math. And, just about any high school student should be able to figure it out.

Okay, here are the possible combinations of three individuals of two sexes.

FFF
FFM
FMF
FMM
MFF
MFM
MMF
MMM

A total of 2^3 = 8 possibilities.

Now, simply examine all the possibilities from the menu and tell me how many have at least one (1) female. I see seven (7).

Now, how many combinations have no females (i.e., all males)? I see only one (1).

Ergo, if you buy 8 babies, you'll have 7 chances out of 8 that you'll get at least one female.

You mention buying 5 babies. That means that there are a total of 2^5 = 32 possible combinations. I'll list the first few and let you fill in the rest.

FFFFF
FFFFM
FFFMF
FFFMM

But even then, there is only one combination that has NO females: MMMMM. That leaves 31 combinations out of the possible 32 that have at least one female.

Okay, what's the chances of getting at least one female if you buy 4 babies?

All this is simple, elementary probability theory.

Enjoy your tarantulas!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not science, it's basic math. And, just about any high school student should be able to figure it out.

Okay, here are the possible combinations of three individuals of two sexes.

FFF
FFM
FMF
FMM
MFF
MFM
MMF
MMM

A total of 2^3 = 8 possibilities.

Now, simply examine all the possibilities from the menu and tell me how many have at least one (1) female. I see seven (7).

Now, how many combinations have no females (i.e., all males)? I see only one (1).

Ergo, if you buy 8 babies, you'll have 7 chances out of 8 that you'll get at least one female.

You mention buying 5 babies. That means that there are a total of 2^5 = 32 possible combinations. I'll list the first few and let you fill in the rest.

FFFFF
FFFFM
FFFMF
FFFMM

But even then, there is only one combination that has NO females: MMMMM. That leaves 31 combinations out of the possible 32 that have at least one female.

All this is simple, elementary probability theory.

Enjoy your tarantulas!
i understand the math behind it but as you are probably aware, there have been more then a few occasions where people on the boards got suck with all males...as unheard of as it might seem lol it happens more often then not!!!

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My adult female smithi is absolutely beautiful. In my opinion the only other brachy that compares is maybe an emilia. She is out in the open 95% of the time although she will hide for a long time durin premolt. She's not friendly though. Hair kicker extraodinaire. I've heard that emilia's aren't as bad with the kicking.
Both emilia and smithi are wonderful to look at spiders. But... my own opinion.. for outright public type display.. emilia is probably the better route. I have 5 emilias and 3 smithi... ALL of the smithi kick hairs for almost any reason. My emilias... only one kicked one time and that was because I really startled her unexpectedly when I was holding her cage and almost dropped it after the dog nearly knocked me over.. she got jounced pretty good. But as bad as the smithi are... they are no match for my little auratum lol. she is nearly bald again within 48 hours after molting.

female/male emilia....

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

There are sixteen possible combinations. You can either do the math (2^4 = 16), or write out the possible combos:

FFFF
FFFM
FFMF
FFMM

And, since only one combo will have no females (i.e., be all males: MMMM), you have 1 chance in 16 of getting no females and 15 chances out of 16 of getting at least one female.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i understand the math behind it but as you are probably aware, there have been more then a few occasions where people on the boards got suck with all males...as unheard of as it might seem lol it happens more often then not!!!
I understand what you mean. There's an unwritten law in probability theory that says that those who want it the most get stiffed the worst! :D

However, all this presumes that nothing else is working to skew the odds. Here are some examples:

1. The sex of the offspring is determined by something other than random probability. For instance, sex in crocodilians (and many other reptiles) is strongly influenced by temperature in the incubating habitat. All indications are that this is not true with tarantulas, but we've been surprised before.

2. A dealer is determining the sex of his babies before shipping and conserving one sex for whatever purpose he has and preferentially shipping the other. This is not too difficult once the trick of determining sex from an exuvium is learned, just quite time consuming. And, if you had only 100 babies of a rare species you might want to save only a few of the females and most of the males. In theory, by caring for the males differentially, you could delay their ultimate molts to allow them to breed their sisters over a period of several years, thus increasing the total number of babies you could sell.

Or, you could get rid of most of the males early and not have to invest a lot of care into them, knowing that you could get premium prices on the females as soon as they reached sufficient size.

3. The last scenario that I'll mention occurs when there is a genetic or congenital fault in the pair that was mated, and all the females (or all the males) failed to develop or died soon after hatching. I've never heard of this happening in tarantulas, and indeed, it's extremely rare among all other animals. But anything's possible.

Okay, now that I've made you all sufficiently paranoid, did I ever tell you about my theories concerning UFOs, the Kennedy assassination, Coca-Cola taking over the world?

LLLOL!

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
^^ Bah! Pepsi will take over the world. Never coke.

Anyway thanks guys... yeah I guess its science + chance.

Another favor... can I see more pics, esp. of auratum and klaasi? I hardly see pics of those here.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^ Bah! Pepsi will take over the world. Never coke.

Anyway thanks guys... yeah I guess its science + chance.

Another favor... can I see more pics, esp. of auratum and klaasi? I hardly see pics of those here.
i think joe started a auratum tread and theres a good pic in the gallery here for the klaasi........

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My two personal Brachy favourites are: B. auratum and B. boehmei (which isn't on your short list).

They're both out in the open more often than not, and my B. boehmei is getting to be simply stunning, I can't wait till it matures to adult size. It only flicks when I'm actively doing something in her cage such as refilling water, cleaning up, tossing in food, etc. It doesn't seem to mind in the least looking out into a busy room and isn't bothered by people walking by, pets walking by, etc. So long as I make a point to not pester it specifically, it doesn't flick or seem to mind much of anything. Right now she's perched on top of the rock staring out at the room, idly cleaning her feet.

The B. auratum to me, looks better than B. smithi. The red is much more defined and brighter, rather than being washed out with the yellow-orange surrounding it like the B. smithi. Not to mention everyone seems to have a B. smithi, I don't want to be like everyone else.

But as with all questions like this, get what you want and enjoy it how you want. =)

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah me too, i dont want to be like everyone else. LOL. But hey, smithi is a classic. I gotta try it.

As of boehmei, I contact the seller, he said its not on his new list, cuz he already have slings all along. Ill be buying it too.

Now I ended up buying all 5 Brachys! THANKS TO YOU GUYS! (half sarcasm/half excitement)... Im $150 poorer this month.

hardtohandle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im $150 poorer this month.
I think I know who your seller is, heheheh! but he doesnt charge in $, heheheh!

Anyway, goodluck on your new pets and on being a somewhat brachy fanatic... I just love it when a kababayan post his/her thing here, it only means we are one with the world when it comes to arachnids.

dirk14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
be happy!!

never think of the costs wen your in a hobby as long as your happy hehehe
luck really has to do wen you purchase slings.... so far been a bit lucky wid females.. cross fingers

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah me too, i dont want to be like everyone else. LOL. But hey, smithi is a classic. I gotta try it.

As of boehmei, I contact the seller, he said its not on his new list, cuz he already have slings all along. Ill be buying it too.

Now I ended up buying all 5 Brachys! THANKS TO YOU GUYS! (half sarcasm/half excitement)... Im $150 poorer this month.

Misery, Can you PM me your contact/seller? thanks, kabayan...