Best active display T?

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although my pulchripes seems to be the most active, my vagans wins the "abnormal behavior" designation hands-down ...

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
WOW three votes for the Chaco!! Mine is ALWAYS hiding.

For me its a tie between my Acanthoscurria geniculata and Pamphobeteus Nigricolor. My Parahybana is always out...but she tends to blend in to her substrate more that the two above, so they win out.

I'm a beginner and dont have any T's with medically significant venom...but eventually I'd like to get into the pokies.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is my list with notes:

1.1 Monocentropus balfouri Created a barrow the day I bought them, I have hardly ever seen them again. It is a shame as they are the most beautiful T. in my opinion.

0.1 Brachypelma boehmei Perfect display T, hardly uses her hide. Amazing colors.

0.1 Theraposa blondi A good option as well, likes to stay out in the open most of the time and will be BIG.

0.1 Pterinochilus murinus Made an ellaborate web burrow and only comes out at night. But surely more visible than M.balfouri.

0.1 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens Always in the open, always showing of those pretty colors even though she created a similar web structure like P.murinus. The perfect display option.

0.1 Pamphobeteus antinous Not a bad option, impressive large black Tarantula but uses her hide sometimes.

0.1 Ceratogyrus marshalli Recently acquired and is out on the open at this point but will not know until some time passes.

0.1 Nhandu carapoensis I have traded this one for the above T but was a nice display with %75 chance of seeing outside. Nice red hairs around dark body.

0.0.2 Poecilotheria metallica These are slings. They burrow during the day and are out visible during the night.

0.0.1 Theraphosa apophysis Another sling but stays outside with those pretty pink feet.

0.0.1 Avicularia versicolor Another sling, stays mostly in her web burrow and is not visible very often. Neon blue spiderling color is attractive though.

0.0.1 Ephebopus cyanognathus Another sling that created a nice burrow and is hardly visible. But when she is, the blue fang color is amazing.

0.0.1 Haplopelma lividum Pet hole, I see the legs at night.

0.0.1 Lampropelma violaceopes Another sling that created a nice burrow and is hardly visible.

0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi Always in the open as a sling. Nice display for sure.

0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra New acquisition. As a sling it started to burrow. I have seen adults stay out in the open. Very nice black color except during pre-molt. An adult would be a good option for display.

So from my own list I would rate:

1-Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens: You can not go wrong with a green bottle blue. Best pet T ever. Great display.

2-Brachypelma boehmei: I guess most Brachypelma are good display Ts but B.boehmei`s colors beat the other ones. Perfect.

3-Any Pamphobeteus sp. will do. Even though they use their hide somewhat, they are very big black Ts and my P.antinous amazes anyone that peeks into her cage. I think they beat Theraphosa species by the intense black coloration even though Theraphosa are bigger.

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll show some more love to the GBB. Beautiful, and always out and about.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B. Emilia or B. Boehmei. My Emilia is always out and moving around. Everytime I look she's in a different spot. My B. Boehmei does hang out in her hide but most of the time is out and about too. One day I looked in to see my Emilia up at the lid as if she was planning a great escape...lol, but I wasn't worried cause I have the lid weighted.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
My Cobalt Blue NEVER hides and would rather sit on top of the hide.

Our B. boehmi, A. metallica, T. stirmi, P. antinous, G. pulchra and one of our P regalis are always out and up to something. And of course G. rosea but who needs to mention them right? LOL

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
So essentially, the best display T is the one that stays out in the open. But as with life, there are no guarantees...so roll the dice, man!!

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Buy everything that everyone has mentioned...you will get them all eventually anyway;).

--Dan

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Honestly, every tarantula is different from one another... I have a Cambridgei that is ALWAYS out and about and up to no good and my brother has one that sucks crickets into it's hole and that's it. They all have different personalities and no two are alike. But, I will say this... Out of all my tarantula's my top 5 best display T's would be:

1- C. cyan
2- P. striata
3- P. cambrigdei
4- P. fasciata
5- A. versicolor

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My P. cambridgei is always visible... laying in the typical arboreal position on her cork bark. She is also a very active webber.
My P. cambridgei was like that befor she molted, she dug herself under the root and she is there still for4 months noe, I dug a bit and found her molt about a month ago.:wall:

Lets hope she turns up more of arboreal soon, seeing her dug in substrate is......wierd.

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
Cant believe N. tripepii has not been mentioned i have a big 8" female that never hides, also L. parahybana.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
There's literally hundreds of species that typically stay out of their hides. So as far as the "best" one, that's up to you- we all like different things. My personal favorite is LP, but I'm sure alot of other members here have a different species of "best" display T.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I support the choices here and would ad P cambridgei that never hides. My Pokies altternate between exhibitionism and hidding but I always have one or two active and in the open :L )

Speedy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So far my most active T is the L. Parahybana, she's always out in the open and busy, if not she's sitting there looking cute... instead of hiding at a disturbance she just wanders around the tank to find out what's causing it... Even with a burrow, she's stays out. And the size is a much added bonus..