Bent legs

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Here is my about 1” Brachypelma vagans. I recently acquired it as a freebie. On the day of arrival I noticed right away that three front legs are bent.

Below is the picture:

6DB67DCA-F05A-423D-8815-970D3A8FAD2B.jpeg

Even with three bent legs, it still moves just fine, it even plays digging too. It eats amazingly well.

My only concern is when it comes to molt. Will three front bent legs possibly make molting process complicated? Or is it obviously hard to tell at this point?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've never saw something like that... personally I think that if no internal stuff that no one wants would occur, the next molts would fix that :writer:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I've never saw something like that... personally I think that if no internal stuff that no one wants would occur, the next molts would fix that :writer:
I am in no doubt in next molt, legs will be fixed, but my concern is, since they are bent, I am curious if they would be stuck and would not be pulled out easily.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I am in no doubt in next molt, legs will be fixed, but my concern is, since they are bent, I am curious if they would be stuck and would not be pulled out easily.
Yes, I've guessed that :)

I say 'no', that feature shouldn't interfere... even if I can't obviously being certain of that, I wouldn't worry about that being at your place.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
also following. I think ad long as it doesn't cause them to get stuck during the next molt they should be finem I have a P. subfusca highland with a similar issue. Back legs are all messed up. :( 20190109_111341.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
yeah, it looks like it had a bad last molt. Id bet it was freed by the previous owner...bad molts are the only thing ive seen cause bent legs in such a manner.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here is my about 1” Brachypelma vagans. I recently acquired it as a freebie. On the day of arrival I noticed right away that three front legs are bent.

Below is the picture:

View attachment 297523

Even with three bent legs, it still moves just fine, it even plays digging too. It eats amazingly well.

My only concern is when it comes to molt. Will three front bent legs possibly make molting process complicated? Or is it obviously hard to tell at this point?
It's too hard to tell. I can offer up some personal experience, though not as extreme as yours.

I have a healthy AF G. pulch. She's been healthy her whole life. However one of her right front legs has a small bend to it, very localized at one of her joints. You'd think it would straighten out over time, but it never has. At one point in time she was completely normal, no bend.

Then one day I noticed this bend, and she's had it for many years. Now it's not significant enough to interfere with molting, but yours MAY be, and again, MAY be not.

My point is some defects remain, and some disappear with time.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I had an LP sling that ended up with a couple bent legs very similar to way those look. It didn't bother him at all other than a little clumsiness. It'll likely do fine with the molt too. I think as long as they're not twisted or bent/curved in a sharp angle, they'll molt as normal for the most part. I did notice it took around 2-3 molts to straighten out the worst of the bent legs though.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I had an LP sling that ended up with a couple bent legs very similar to way those look. It didn't bother him at all other than a little clumsiness. It'll likely do fine with the molt too. I think as long as they're not twisted or bent/curved in a sharp angle, they'll molt as normal for the most part. I did notice it took around 2-3 molts to straighten out the worst of the bent legs though.
Did your tarantula manage to get bent legs fixed after molt?

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Did your tarantula manage to get bent legs fixed after molt?
Yep, just took a couple molts. The first molt definitely took a little longer. Mine never dropped any legs, but that's always a possibility too. That's not a big deal either though.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Yep, just took a couple molts. The first molt definitely took a little longer. Mine never dropped any legs, but that's always a possibility too. That's not a big deal either though.
That’s pretty positive. :angelic:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Days passed. Despite of several bent legs, it still digs well, and eats well. Only catch is, since it’s front legs are severely bent, it relies on pedipalps to pull the prey toward to it’s fangs, and it does it surprisngly well.

D4145B1F-8916-44D3-BCB0-125A3C6F8F53.jpeg

8E959944-5170-4037-99BD-5FC9A26FDF44.jpeg

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I had the same thing occur with my Lasiodora difficilis when she was about 2". It was only one leg and it did cause a problem with the next moult - she ended up pulling it off. She never had another problem after that.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Received a female P. metallica with a bent leg (Leg IV). After she molted, I noticed the leg was missing all together. Leg grew back the molt after that.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I've never had a T with that problem but I did have a mantis a few years back that looked like that after falling immediately after molting. It completely repaired its leg though after the following molt.