Beginner Tarantula? B.Albiceps

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My smithi changes with moult after the last 1 it's become like my albiceps unfortunately, my schroederi on the other hand consistently good when it comes to feeding. I'm just glad I have an albo to keep my faith in Brachys
So far, my Brachypelma are good eaters. My kahlenbergi snatches it off the tongs if I'm not careful, and my smithi pounces on it right after she stops kicking hairs because I had the audacity to open her enclosure. My albopilosum eat like pigs, except for the MM, but he's got his mind on other things :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So far, my Brachypelma are good eaters. My kahlenbergi snatches it off the tongs if I'm not careful, and my smithi pounces on it right after she stops kicking hairs because I had the audacity to open her enclosure. My albopilosum eat like pigs, except for the MM, but he's got his mind on other things :)
I have a MM verdezi in my collection now and he as and still does eat like a pig I guess he as a short attention span

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
This is literally the slowest growing species ive ever raised. Be prepared for long periods of inactivity and food refusal. I dont mind slow growers, but had it been my first, i would have worried a lot more. Getting it to just over an inch took alnost 2 years....once they got over 1.5" though, they became great eaters and growth picked up.

Pre kill prey was the only way i ever got them to eat as slings.

As juvies and adults, they are, or can be, very very skittish, they also flick hairs when disturbed.

But in the end its all worth it as theyre gorgeous. Id just suggest getting a second species so you have some activity to enjoy in the mean time.
Yeah, I've done quite a bit of research about them and as for getting another specie, I'll think about it since I feel I already have my hands full with them slings. I got three Albiceps, t'was a birthday gift from a a childhood friend that knows am scared of spiders but you know, after severals days of well, checking them (and I fed them once already), and looking at pics and vids of tarantulas, I'm kinda getting over it.

Haha, i'm not a sir either ;) i just meant that you can call me by my name instead of calling me ma'am, I know i'm almost 35, but i'm not THAT old :D

As for tagging me, sure, no problem ;)
Thank You for all the support.

Congrats! I have not been able to find these for sale
Philippines probably has the record of T's keeping/enthusiasts in Asia. Japan? Pffff... :-s
I've made a little research on albiceps and it seems that they're sold for like $6-8 per sling, depending on their size. I also went to check out an exotic pet shop downtown and wow, chacos were like $3 and Albopilosum was $5 per sling and was even sold in bulk like three Albiceps for $20. (It's in PHP, I converted it to USD) but I was surprised that Ts like Brazilian Black go for like $20-30 per sling.

And some are oblivious to the difference! :banghead:

@Einlanzer, sweet Brachy to start with, enjoy! :)
Thank you though I didn't really enjoy it last night when one of the slings got out of his/her container while I was feeding. They skittle a lot and run... thank goodness I found her/him... I was so afraid that if I didn't find it, a gecko or huntsman spider might make a chow out of it. (I've seen em around the house especially the geckos)

It really is a good thing they are pretty and worth the wait for this beauty because I agree they are slower than a melting ice field when it comes to growth rate.
They are also the single most frustrating tarantula I own, mine eats 1 of every 5 meals I offer. I got mine 6 months ago at 1cm and its moulted once in my care and is still only 2 cm now it'll be my luck to get a female and in 15 years it'll still only be around 3" at this rate
Yeah, really frustrating as a sling. Sometimes it would eat once between molts, which were 6 months apart and yielded no growth. Once, at just under 1/2", one of mine, the one pictured, went 177 days between meals....man it was so tiny, and never plump (the whole time as a sling) I have no idea how it went that long.

But let me tell you, once it hit 1.5", maybe a little less, it started eating everything I gave and growth picked up. Now molts were coming every 45-60 days and refusal meant pre-molt. Now the one I still have is nearly 4" and probably my best NW terrestrial eater aside from the nigricolor.

Its amazing its the same t.
Well, it's a game of patience though am excited, I googled adult photos of Albiceps and wow, they're gorgeous! Though I know Imma have to wait for years but still... am very much eager to make em reach that point and thus, must take good care of them babies.

I learned the most information as a new keeper a few years ago from these forums.

Where I'm happy to see many familiar faces are still here.

The rest of your knowledge will come from your experience with your animals. You'll learn from both success and mistakes.

So go at a comfortable pace with species that apply to that comfort level.

This hobby will teach you not to rush things. Patience is key.

Welcome to a bizarre addiction.
Yes, patience is <3

Thank you for all the support *bows* This is such a welcoming community, I am really glad I stumbled upon Arachnoboards. You guys are so supportive and kind.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I took your advice... Got two Albos and am getting an Emilia some time this month XD
You will love all 3 of them, the 2 albo will eat and grow like crazy they are actually really pretty in the flesh. The emilia will grow alot slower and their feeding response isn't quite as good as an albo in my experience but wow they are worth the wait between moults

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
You will love all 3 of them, the 2 albo will eat and grow like crazy they are actually really pretty in the flesh. The emilia will grow alot slower and their feeding response isn't quite as good as an albo in my experience but wow they are worth the wait between moults
Yeah, they pounce on food the moment I put em in. Though one is making me worry as s/he isn't much active and always covers his/her face with front legs. The other one how ever, is active, even went out of the deli dish to look around hehe curious lil guy.
As for my albiceps, they're all fine I guess, legs all spread out and not moving unless it's feeding time.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, they pounce on food the moment I put em in. Though one is making me worry as s/he isn't much active and always covers his/her face with front legs. The other one how ever, is active, even went out of the deli dish to look around hehe curious lil guy.
As for my albiceps, they're all fine I guess, legs all spread out and not moving unless it's feeding time.
As long as they are all feeding they should be fine, Each tarantula is an individual so you can 10 of the same species and they would all exhibit different behavior patterns.
As for your albiceps doing well that's great mine on the other hand is a nightmare it's moulted once in my care and very rarely eats

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm from the Philippines. Dont know much about other Asian countries but there are lots of tarantula keepers out here
Yup :)

That's what I've noticed my man. I love the fact that Philippines is full of Theraphosidae lovers, just like I love your Class A people, living here in Italy in peace with us from decades. Much Respect :-s

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
As long as they are all feeding they should be fine, Each tarantula is an individual so you can 10 of the same species and they would all exhibit different behavior patterns.
As for your albiceps doing well that's great mine on the other hand is a nightmare it's moulted once in my care and very rarely eats
I GET YOUR POINT NOW! Last saturday evening, I fed all three of them and not one, NOT ONE ate! They didn't even budge or move... well one did, went down his burrow... -_-
As for my albo, they have good appetite. Only time they refused food was during their premolt stage.

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
Taga davao po ako, how bout you?
Quezon City ako bro (manila), nasa Tarantula Keepers Philippines ka ba sa facebook? hehehe baka pede kita i-add para at least may friend na akong arachno lover at mapagtatanungan... kung di nmn abala sa'yo :)

cold blood

Staff member
I GET YOUR POINT NOW! Last saturday evening, I fed all three of them and not one, NOT ONE ate! They didn't even budge or move... well one did, went down his burrow... -_-
As for my albo, they have good appetite. Only time they refused food was during their premolt stage.
Yep, that's an albiceps sling. Get used to that unenthusiastic response.:bored:

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
Quezon City ako bro (manila), nasa Tarantula Keepers Philippines ka ba sa facebook? hehehe baka pede kita i-add para at least may friend na akong arachno lover at mapagtatanungan... kung di nmn abala sa'yo :)
Oo bro. Pm lang