Beginner Species?

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What are some spcies of T's for beginners,OTHER then the rise hair? I am hoping to get a rose hair soon,but I am also interested in some other species.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My very first was an Avicularia versicolor and I love her!! She was a beautiful electric blue for months and she's just now starting to show her adult colors... still beautiful, of course!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My opinion is any species can be a good beginner species so long as the future owner takes the time to do a bit of reading and question asking prior to buying one.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think you have to research as Ryan said and while you're checking out the recommended care/requirements of different T's - take notice of the various characteristics of different species. Some are lightening fast, some burrow and are rarely seen, some make better display T's, some are more active than others, some are more venomous than others, some more aggressive or docile than others. i would look at these different characteristics before focusing on physical looks and color.

If i had to suggest one to strongly consider, i would recommend researching the Grammastola aureostriata. i have a small T collection and out of all of mine this is definitely still one of my favorites. :D

Last edited:

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heres a list of what id recommend:
Pinktoe (A. avic)
Antilles pinktoe (A. versicolor)
Stripeknee (A. semanni)
Curlyhair (B. albisotum not sure if thats spelled right)
Chaco Golden Knee (G. aureostriata)
Texas Tan (A. anax)

and the list goes on but its worth a shot!!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
julesaussies hit the nail on the head....we often forget sometimes what interests us, when asking for suggestions from others(since many of us are species specific now j/k)...remember its going be your t and not any of ours, sooo remember that when you choose ur new friend.
do a pie chart and see what it is that makes a t appealing to you? such as its nature, speed, coloration, husbandry needs and the such....then go to a site or even browse our gallery page and see what catches your eye. then make a list of about 10 to start(but be warned this list of 10 usually ends up like 30 by the time ur done rummaging tru all the pics lol:wall: ) and seek species specific info, then decide....
my suggestion would be an Acanthosurria-geniculata, great display t, gets pretty big, eats well, not to skiddish, usuallly out in the open and has great colors. also its usually pretty hardy as a sling and not to expensive. hope that helps

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would say, Redknee, Pink Zebra Beauty, Bloodleg, and colbolt blue:D (joking about the colbolt blue)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are too many to consider. As stated here, alot has to do with your preference. Do some research into what you are looking for, then decide. But be warned, your list of 10 possibilities will soon turn into 10 owned T's.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
choice

Ultimately up to you, depending on your wants, but anyway you will have plenty soon. Id just not get on OBT, Cobalt Blue, or any of the very fast species as a beginner. They can be a stressful time at maintenance, and a beginner doesnt need that worry.

icenola

Arachnopeon
1. B.smithi (The Mexican Redknee) or

2. A.geniculata (The Brazilian White Knee)

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your pet, your choice...

I agree with talkenlate04 and seconded by pinkfoot - whatever suits YOU. I love arboreals, fast, defensive and beautiful. But Babs, my 4.5" H. maculata, hasn't been definsive, nor shown the speed. Yet. She's gogeous! And I think darn near everyone wants a gooty.

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Starter T i would think of something that is hardy and interesting so any brachy or g pulchra but they are slow growing and adult females are kind of pricey.
you can also start out with a sling p regalis if your into the pokies. I think it would be easier to say what not to start out with the list would be much shorter.

SugrSean

Arachnopeon
It seems to me that most people looking for a first T are most interested in having a T that is: docile, impressive in size, active, easy to care for, and often visible. With those characteristics in mind, G. aureostriata (Chaco Golden Knee) fits the bill very well.

I think the Chaco is gorgeous, but if you're looking for something with more color, but similar in regard to the other characteristics (although a little smaller), B. emilia and B. smithi can both have stunning deep reds, and are very visually appealing.