Beginner Plant Questions Regarding My Future Guyana Pink Toe & Arizona Blonde Enclosures!

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Hello to all you gorgeous collectors out there! I'm pretty new to the hobby and I've been wondering what kinds of plants work best in either of these tarantulas enclosures. I know they must be different as they are from different climates and are different dwellers, and I also know some dry climate tarantulas are best left without live plants, but I LOVE the look it provides and the extra natural feel it gives, which I hope the T's can also appreciate after living with the fake stuff in a store or something.

To summarize, my biggest questions are:
What type of plants would work best given the T's natures?
2. What are the extra concerns to keep in mind with these live plants? (watering, cleaning, accident avoidance, etc.)
3. What mixture soil should be added for these plants? Or is it not a big deal and use what your T regularly uses?
4. (Off topic a bit) Should you always have a false bottom for enclosures with live pants, or high humidity Tarantulas in general?

If you're wondering, I chose these two because I think the Pink Toe is adorable, easy to acquire and manage, and I like the terrestrial nature compared to one of my favorites, the Arizona Blonde. On the flip side I absolutely ADORE the Blonde because I am also an Arizona native and the coloration that this T has never forgets to remind me of the beautiful desert state I live in. Which in turn makes this T even more beautiful to me! I also would love to have an arboreal T along side a terrestrial T.

It might be a lot of explaining, especially if you want to break down my very broad noob questions.
If you'd like, reply with the # you are answering and let someone else take care of another # :) Thanks in advance!

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
With all due respect, this is the most important issue at hand. At least I hope it is.
I will definitely consider dead plants for the Arizona Blonde, thank you! What are your thoughts about the Pink Toe? Is it still too much of a dry species?
I've heard that there are plants like the Pothos which require very minimal water and care but I'd like to hear peoples experiences as im sure its still too much for some other T's though im not sure if the Pink Toe is one of them, but I THINK they like a very small amount of humidity.

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I will definitely consider dead plants for the Arizona Blonde, thank you! What are your thoughts about the Pink Toe? Is it still too much of a dry species?
Yes. A pothos *might* work but make certain you buy one from a place that never uses pesticides anywhere near it. Avics need dry substrate with a water dish.
I like the terrestrial nature compared to one of my favorites, the Arizona Blonde.
I hope you mean arboreal.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
which I hope the T's can also appreciate
They can’t.

Plants and Ts rarely do well together. Which is why most of us don’t bother

But do what you want.

Search the forum for plants and Ts

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Anubias gracilis - it is real hard to kill 😃
Chlorophytum bichetii - also indestructible and survives even with little daylight
For species like A. chalcodes or Chromatopelma, I use a thick leaf without thorns, as a monthly watering is sufficient.
Ultimately, it's a matter of taste. For me an enclosure without plants is unthinkable, but plastic hurts my eyes. But each his own. The maintenance is only minimally more complex, because you have to keep an eye on the plants, you will certainly not forget the spider!
Put vermiculite in and mold is no longer an issue!
The substrate mix is different. I usually use turtle substrate with untreated potting soil, clay and vermiculite. I adapt the mixing ratio to the spider (moist, medium or dry).
But what you have to mention: I'll do it for myself, the spider doesn't care. Only the animal cannot actually dry out, unless I also let the plants dry out. Then you should avoid the hobby anyway.

Last edited:

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Yes. A pothos *might* work but make certain you buy one from a place that never uses pesticides anywhere near it. Avics need dry substrate with a water dish.

I hope you mean arboreal.
Wow you really exposed how NOOB I am haha. Just kidding I know I have a lot to learn. I'll definitely make sure to ask the workers whether they know if it has been used with pesticides. Thank you!

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Fake plants, your solution.
I can't look at the plastic stuff with the natural stuff it hurts my BRAIN in a funky way! I will probably try to find some nice dead something in replacement when making the Arizona Blonde enclosure. I 100% respect it though, the fake stuff is obviously the safest option!

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
They can’t.

Plants and Ts rarely do well together. Which is why most of us don’t bother

But what you want.

Search the forum for plants and Ts
That is good to know, I wonder how Tarantula emotions work. I hope the Arizona blonde will at least feel more comfortable since I'm able to source all the natural Arizona materials quite easily, although they probably don't know what nature is supposed to look like after being in captivity since birth, right? I will definitely keep everything dead but the T and its food. No plants. :)

Numismatica

Arachnosquire
Anubias gracilis - it is real hard to kill 😃
Chlorophytum bichetii - also indestructible and survives even with little daylight
For species like A. chalcodes or Chromatopelma, I use a thick leaf without thorns, as a monthly watering is sufficient.
Ultimately, it's a matter of taste. For me an enclosure without plants is unthinkable, but plastic hurts my eyes. But each his own. The maintenance is only minimally more complex, because you have to keep an eye on the plants, you will certainly not forget the spider!
Put vermiculite in and mold is no longer an issue!
The substrate mix is different. I usually use turtle substrate with untreated potting soil, clay and vermiculite. I adapt the mixing ratio to the spider (moist, medium or dry).
But what you have to mention: I'll do it for myself, the spider doesn't care. Only the animal cannot actually dry out, unless I also let the plants dry out. Then you should avoid the hobby anyway.
This was by far the most helpful answer yet and ill be coming back to it many times in the future! I know exactly what you mean about the plastic hurting your eyes! One last thing. Do any of these plants have an issue with overgrowing?

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
That is good to know, I wonder how Tarantula emotions work. I hope the Arizona blonde will at least feel more comfortable since I'm able to source all the natural Arizona materials quite easily, although they probably don't know what nature is supposed to look like after being in captivity since birth, right?
Tarantulas don’t have emotions, their nervous system is extremely primitive. No real memory either. A common issue is people anthropomorphize them
I'll definitely make sure to ask the workers whether they know if it has been used with pesticides.
I recommend getting plants from reptile/amphibian sources

8 legged

Arachnoprince
This was by far the most helpful answer yet and ill be coming back to it many times in the future! I know exactly what you mean about the plastic hurting your eyes! One last thing. Do any of these plants have an issue with overgrowing?
I illuminate with LEDs, they grow accordingly slowly. Once, at most twice a year I cut them back or make offshoots for new enclosures.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
You can chase the plants in the hardware store, which is much cheaper than in the pet store. Wash them twice and remove the previous substrate. Now you just have to make sure that the spider eats its prey quickly, as there is a risk that the prey can ingest pesticides and then possibly damage the spider. Whereby that has not happened in my environment!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Also recommended and slowly growing:
Fittonia albivenis
Chamaedora elegans
Begonia schulzei

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is good to know, I wonder how Tarantula emotions work. I hope the Arizona blonde will at least feel more comfortable since I'm able to source all the natural Arizona materials quite easily, although they probably don't know what nature is supposed to look like after being in captivity since birth, right? I will definitely keep everything dead but the T and its food. No plants. :)
They don’t have emotions as you and I. They aren’t physically capable, they lack the neuroanatomy for that.

Malum Argenteum

Arachnoknight
They don’t have emotions as you and I. They aren’t physically capable, they lack the neuroanatomy for that.
Sounds kind of nice, actually. I'm a bit jealous. :grumpy:

I think when we anthropomorphize animals, it isn't so much that it gets things incorrect (which it does), but demeans the animal by projecting our own issues onto it. Lovely creatures, that don't care what their enclosure looks like so long as it meets their physical needs.

Last edited: