Beginner Asian species and Display Asian species

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
This is going to sound crazy because I know most Asian Ts are reclusive and also I'm wondering what's a good first Asian T. I keep Ceratogyrus and Harpactira species at the moment old world wise and my C meridionalis is out quite a lot, it's just a sling, my grown on Sling Harpactira pulchripes I catch out now and then but shoots back under where it's burrowed under the cork bark when it sees me, but it's not often it even does that, it's only young though and I know H pulchripes comes out more than most usually so may be out more as it grows.

I'm wondering what's a good Asian to get started on but one that's out much more than other Asian Ts, bar pokies as I'm not ready for them yet.

I do like the look of Chilobrachys Kaeng Krachan, Cyriopagopus sp Hati Hati and Cyriopagopus sp Bach Ma to name a few. I'd imagine these 3 are very reclusive though. I know they're all pretty defensive but from what I can gather most Asians are. I don't handle my very placid A Genic and I don't handle my African Baboons or Scorpion so I won't be handling them at all.

Thankyou.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
IMHO, if you're not comfortable with the thoughts of providing husbandry to Poecilotheria, then I'd start there first. Arboreal Ornithoctoninae spp are on par with Poecilotheria for speed and consequences, which leaves just the fossorial Ornithoctoninae spp (Cyriopagopus spp) and Selenocosmiinae spp (Chilobrachys spp, etc) to consider. Selenocosmiinae spp are RIDICULOUSLY fast and Cyriopagopus have some of the WORST published venom effects that I've ever read.

IME, visibility with all tarantulas is dependent upon proper setup, proper temps, and proper RH. I keep a lot of Asian species and I see them out literally all the time. Here's a video taken around 10am in my facility of a shelf of my holdback Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue juvies, most of which are out.
View attachment 20231209_115740.mp4

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I read and gained experience with other less spicy species for 2 years before getting my first Asian arboreal and chose Phormingochilus sp Rufus to start. Tom and Dave both have videos on these as well. Some of the ones on your list are also on mine. In my very limited experience (1 month), my young juvie set up shop and was ready to hunt from there in 2 days. I see her out between midnight and 8 or 9am everyday. She’s a great eater and a beauty to look at.
IMG_2303.jpeg

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
What subfamily are Phormingochilus species part of? I've noticed a lot of people with them lately, especially sp Rufus. I take it they're quite a spicy species. Maybe I should just carry on with the Harpactira and Ceratogyrus species for a while. I wasn't thinking of jumping right into it. Besides, with the two I've got coming I'm gonna ease up on my collection for a while... Unless I see a Sericopelma Santa Catalina at a good price as I know I'll be tempted by that.

Thanks guys 😁😁

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
Awesome to see them out like that. It seems a really nice genus. I have Facebook friends that have so Red and love it. I know sp Sabah Blue is more on the expensive side in the UK I'm gonna have a little read up on them. This genus may be potentially what I look at when I have more experience keeping Ts

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Phormingochilis are super skittish. Rehousing can be very tricky. As mentioned above. I don't see pokies being to much of a stretch beyond some Asian tarantulas.
It's all about your comfort level my friend.
My only advice is to be mindful of the care you can provide and be honest with yourself about your limits.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This is going to sound crazy because I know most Asian Ts are reclusive and also I'm wondering what's a good first Asian T. I keep Ceratogyrus and Harpactira species at the moment old world wise and my C meridionalis is out quite a lot, it's just a sling, my grown on Sling Harpactira pulchripes I catch out now and then but shoots back under where it's burrowed under the cork bark when it sees me, but it's not often it even does that, it's only young though and I know H pulchripes comes out more than most usually so may be out more as it grows.

I'm wondering what's a good Asian to get started on but one that's out much more than other Asian Ts, bar pokies as I'm not ready for them yet.

I do like the look of Chilobrachys Kaeng Krachan, Cyriopagopus sp Hati Hati and Cyriopagopus sp Bach Ma to name a few. I'd imagine these 3 are very reclusive though. I know they're all pretty defensive but from what I can gather most Asians are. I don't handle my very placid A Genic and I don't handle my African Baboons or Scorpion so I won't be handling them at all.

Thankyou.
My Chilobrachys sai yok was on display often but lost it to a bad molt don’t think I got any pictures of it. It was never the same after a molt stopped webbing etc .
What subfamily are Phormingochilus species part of? I've noticed a lot of people with them lately, especially sp Rufus. I take it they're quite a spicy species. Maybe I should just carry on with the Harpactira and Ceratogyrus species for a while. I wasn't thinking of jumping right into it. Besides, with the two I've got coming I'm gonna ease up on my collection for a while... Unless I see a Sericopelma Santa Catalina at a good price as I know I'll be tempted by that.

Thanks guys 😁😁
I had bad luck with Ceratogyrus, I’ll probably try them again someday but I’m hesitant. The slings refused to eat and adult molted bad rip. Small sample size only 3 of them though. so simply I ran out of money to try more .
Sometimes sticking with species your good at works . I Prefer nw , because pokies got super expensive and hard to buy with new shipping limits . But they are my favorite ow. But with slower species I get And less teleportation….
Pelinobus muticus was cool but never visible. Pet holes aren’t exciting.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Just from reading different things on AB, I would think Poeceletheria are more on the tame side when it comes to Asian species. I own 2, and they aren't bad. They just want to retreat when disturbed. Very often visible, and the only annoying husbandry aspect is picking up the poop splatter. Theres ways of mitigating risk to avoid potential issues. But, their venom potency is no joke. Mistakes do happen, so you kind of have to accept the risk you're willing to take I guess. But good luck in your search!

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
Just from reading different things on AB, I would think Poeceletheria are more on the tame side when it comes to Asian species. I own 2, and they aren't bad. They just want to retreat when disturbed. Very often visible, and the only annoying husbandry aspect is picking up the poop splatter. Theres ways of mitigating risk to avoid potential issues. But, their venom potency is no joke. Mistakes do happen, so you kind of have to accept the risk you're willing to take I guess. But good luck in your search!
Yeah the poop splatter can't be good. Sudden jumping of Arboreals is a little bit of a worry if they're to jump on you and possibly Bute but I know they're more likely to retreat. Even with New Worlds you get Arboreals that jump and are probably even more inclined to be aggressive than Pokeys, such as some Psalmopeus species, then we have the hair flickers and I know some Lasiodora and Nhandu species can have extremely irritating urticating hairs, puts me off Lasiodora Subcanens which I was thinking of getting not long ago. Poecilotheria Rufilata is my favourite pokey aesthetics wise. They are all stunning that genus.

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
My Chilobrachys sai yok was on display often but lost it to a bad molt don’t think I got any pictures of it. It was never the same after a molt stopped webbing etc .

I had bad luck with Ceratogyrus, I’ll probably try them again someday but I’m hesitant. The slings refused to eat and adult molted bad rip. Small sample size only 3 of them though. so simply I ran out of money to try more .
Sometimes sticking with species your good at works . I Prefer nw , because pokies got super expensive and hard to buy with new shipping limits . But they are my favorite ow. But with slower species I get And less teleportation….
Pelinobus muticus was cool but never visible. Pet holes aren’t exciting.
Some people love pet holes and say they love seeing them building intricate and elaborate burrows and things but I totally get what you're saying I'm not a fan of complete pet holes. Pokeys are quite cheap in the UK, for slings at least I'm not sure about larger Ts.

Things like Birupes, H Cafreriana, P sp Sabah Blue and Cyriopagopus sp Sumatran Tiger are pretty expensive here but Pokeys seem pretty cheap as slings from what I've seen. My Ceratogyrus Meridionalis is out a lot. It was eating fruit flies at first but is not doing so now. When I was reading the site I got it off, it said it was feeding on small silent crickets. It's only 1cm so I'll have to get some small crickets. My H pulchripes 2-3 cm is on medium crickets as is my A geniculata Juvie female but she is in premolt so not eating. The H pulchripes is an eating machine.

Sericopelma Santa Catalina is a T that would tempt me to buy new words. I've got the H namaquensis grown on sling and the C darlingi I've ordered coming soon so I don't wanna get too many more yet, supposed to be getting. Cheloctonus jonesii scorpling too.

I think a Santa Catalina Juvie female would be perfect. I'd sell my C meridionalis sling then and my collection would be good for a while. But it's hard finding sexed Juvie female tarantulas these days, not many bother to check that with them... I'm sure they know they have males so they just say Unsexed so that you're more likely to take a chance and buy them. I hope my H pulchripes Sling is a female because the males are tiny. I'm thinking of getting a female if it's a male.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Yeah the poop splatter can't be good. Sudden jumping of Arboreals is a little bit of a worry if they're to jump on you and possibly Bute but I know they're more likely to retreat. Even with New Worlds you get Arboreals that jump and are probably even more inclined to be aggressive than Pokeys, such as some Psalmopeus species, then we have the hair flickers and I know some Lasiodora and Nhandu species can have extremely irritating urticating hairs, puts me off Lasiodora Subcanens which I was thinking of getting not long ago. Poecilotheria Rufilata is my favourite pokey aesthetics wise. They are all stunning that genus.
I agree. I have some pictures of my Rufilata. Man, do they get big quick. Whatever decision you make, just make the one your happiest with. You're going to have them for a long time so no point in getting something that you're not quite sold on. Phormics, Pamphos, and Psalmos. The 3 P's lol That's all you really need. Phormics are nuts! Super fun to keep. That's how I would've started looking back. Instead of jumping right to a P Met and P Rufilata. Not that they are unmanageable or crazy in any way. They just pack a wallop of a bite, and I hope to never experience it lol

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Some people love pet holes and say they love seeing them building intricate and elaborate burrows and things but I totally get what you're saying I'm not a fan of complete pet holes. Pokeys are quite cheap in the UK, for slings at least I'm not sure about larger Ts.

Things like Birupes, H Cafreriana, P sp Sabah Blue and Cyriopagopus sp Sumatran Tiger are pretty expensive here but Pokeys seem pretty cheap as slings from what I've seen. My Ceratogyrus Meridionalis is out a lot. It was eating fruit flies at first but is not doing so now. When I was reading the site I got it off, it said it was feeding on small silent crickets. It's only 1cm so I'll have to get some small crickets. My H pulchripes 2-3 cm is on medium crickets as is my A geniculata Juvie female but she is in premolt so not eating. The H pulchripes is an eating machine.

Sericopelma Santa Catalina is a T that would tempt me to buy new words. I've got the H namaquensis grown on sling and the C darlingi I've ordered coming soon so I don't wanna get too many more yet, supposed to be getting. Cheloctonus jonesii scorpling too.

I think a Santa Catalina Juvie female would be perfect. I'd sell my C meridionalis sling then and my collection would be good for a while. But it's hard finding sexed Juvie female tarantulas these days, not many bother to check that with them... I'm sure they know they have males so they just say Unsexed so that you're more likely to take a chance and buy them. I hope my H pulchripes Sling is a female because the males are tiny. I'm thinking of getting a female if it's a male.
Sericopelma Santa Catalina looks nice I’ve never had the genus . Looks on the pricey side here but probably a newer species . Judging by how off size estimates are it’s probably 5-6” most species I get end up smaller than listed sizes . No bad choices some of my favorites are common species .

Butterbean83

Arachnopeon
I agree. I have some pictures of my Rufilata. Man, do they get big quick. Whatever decision you make, just make the one your happiest with. You're going to have them for a long time so no point in getting something that you're not quite sold on. Phormics, Pamphos, and Psalmos. The 3 P's lol That's all you really need. Phormics are nuts! Super fun to keep. That's how I would've started looking back. Instead of jumping right to a P Met and P Rufilata. Not that they are unmanageable or crazy in any way. They just pack a wallop of a bite, and I hope to never experience it lol
I've just sold a Phormictopus Auratus sling as I wanted some bigger slings and Juvies, it was 2-3 cm, judging by abdomen to leg ratio I would assume it was male but you never know at that size. It was very fast!! It got out of its little sling enclosure twice during maintenance but didn't get very far and was easily caught and put back in its enclosure. It didn't bold after that and became quite "placid" or should I say less skittish, they definitely have speed but I do tend to hear Auratus is the more skittish less defensive of the genus. Psalmopeus Pulcher is my favourite Psalmopeus, and as for Pamphobeteus the males are stunning but you want the longevity of females usually, I think that's were Phormictopus shine because the females are colourful too. I'd love a Phormictopus sp Dominican Purple but they're on the pricey side. Sericopelma so Santa Catalina are not too expensive over here I'd say P sp Dominican Purple is more expensive in the UK. S Santa Catalina apparently can get 8" some say 8" but I'm inclined to agree with you that not many reach what people say. It's like when people say their LP got to 10 plus inches, not many at all do. My Acanthoscurria geniculata will probably get to 7.5" max.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +

Thanks guys 😁😁
They are Ornithoctoninae. All such beautiful spiders. Omothymus violaceopes is up next on my list of Orni spiders. After some time with this one.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
It did say they can get to 9 inches but I tend to think for the most part, the numbers stated are usually just occasional but I imagine it gets to 7 or 8 inches. Still a huge T. Pokeys get massive too I know that.
Most of them do, but P Met's are on the smaller side with less size put on between molts. I'd highly recommend them. Mine has been a joy to keep.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight

Thanks guys 😁😁
Phormingochilus is part of Ornithoctoninae. The genus includes stunning species but they are so fast, you will wish it was a pokie.

Best starter Asian IMO

Chilobrachys sp
Orphnaecus sp
Poecilotheria sp

All have gorgeous display species. Out of the Asian OW T's, IME these are the most predictable Asian T's but take that with a grain of salt. All species can have a lot of individual variation.