Beetle Substrate recipie reccomendations.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I recently recieved a shipment of D. granti grubs.

I was wondering how different people cared for them.

I was planning to make a substrate that used 1 part crushed leaves, two parts rotted wood, one part powdered wood/leaf mixture (put in a coffee grinder and ground until it's basically a paste) and one part water.

Does this sound about right?

Is it heavy on the water?

Ninnghizzida

Arachnopeon
I use 40% organic potting soil, 40% rotten wood and 20% decayed oak leaves. Not water at all.

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use 40% organic potting soil, 40% rotten wood and 20% decayed oak leaves. Not water at all.
I use a similar type of mix for laying, mainly so the potting soil can bulk out the wood and leaf litter. Filling a 150l tank for Dynastes hercules to lay in takes a lot of substrate.

For rearing larve I use a mix of of about 2/3 wood: 1/3 leaf litter, I chop this stuff up in large bucket with a spade and seive the results. An electric leaf/branch shredder works realy well for this if you have one. If the substrate dries out I will spray occasionally with water, the aim is to keep it moist but not sodden - if you squeeze a handful hard and water drips out then its too wet.

Matt

ElfDa

Arachnopeon
do you just run outside and grab a handful, or what? o_O

I'm not sure I'd trust the dog pee-covered leaves with my babies... ;)