beetle identification needed

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
this is a beetle i found in my bathroom. he was lying on his back but after being given some toilet paper soaked in water to stand upon, he drank and seems to be doing much better.

this guy was found in northeast georgia. i think it's a ground beetle?

help?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're practically there. The genus is Scarities (of the tribe Scaritini).

Most likely, it feeds on catepillers in the wild. Try offering it crushed crickets (works well for me with other ground beetles) or wax worms if you have them.

Wade

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks more to me like a family Passalidae, does it stridulate?

ORION

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yay! wow...that means i perhaps almost identified a beetle with no help except that i looked it up on the web by myself! awesome! |D

um, it was about an inch long. i read that ground beetles typically feed on slugs and such. it was very active again, so i freed it right next to my back door. i have a TINY porch-like thing and there's a little bush under which slugs love to congregate. i actually had enough luck to set him down RIGHT near one too. :) even during the day.

so...hopefully, he is living the good life right now. :)

i did not witness him stridulating. he was actually very calm and mellow, i was able to pick him up gently and he seemed very at ease though curious. CUTE little guy, just lovely.

oh no...am i liking beetles now? :/ is there no hope?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by ORION_DV8
Looks more to me like a family Passalidae, does it stridulate?

ORION
That was my first thought too, but the jaws were just too freaking big! I broke out the Peterson Field Guide to Beetles by Richard White and found a pic that was a dead ringer for Skadiwolf's guy.

Passalids make great captives though. A few chunks of rotten wood in a container and you can house dozens . They are social to a degree and will dig galleries though logs.

Wade

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i caught one monday pooor guy was almost dead could harldly stand but it was so cute