Been thinking about a vivarium

sn95

Arachnopeon
I have been thinking of trying to set up a vivarium. The enclosure I am thinking about using is a 44 gallon corner fish tank. The tank is roughly 22"x22"x30", I am just curious what might feel at home in that sized tank. I was thinking maybe a group of crested geckos. I am looking for options other than them though, as they are about the only thing I can think of.

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you like inverts than maybe you can put in a group of emporer scorps in there, but if you do this there is always a possibility of canabalism

sn95

Arachnopeon
I do like inverts, but I want something besides inverts for this tank. Something else I was looking into where pygmy chameleon(Rieppeleon brevicaudatus). I am just not sure if the tank would be too large for them or not.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aaw, pygmy chameleons. :)
I don't know how fancy you want to get with set-up, but I think it would be fun to have water on much of the bottom with some salamanders or newts or something and then a frog or two to stick to the side and crawl around amongst the plants...provided you got species that could go together. If you wanted to get real fancy, one of those waterfall fixtures would look very pretty in the back too, but I might be pushing it there. I do like a sort of tiered look for that sort of thing though.
We are setting one up too in a large old fishtank that doesn't hold water anymore and have been playing with ideas. We are going to have a whole variety of carnivorous plants since we will finally have a place humid enough for them. We are going to tier ours somehow so they can be out of reach and not disturbed by anything we may have living on the bottom.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a pair of red eye tree frogs in my 55 gallon paludarium. Honestly, there's a ton of options out there for vivariums that size. Tree frogs, anoles, dwarf chameleons, tiny species of snakes..? lol. i don't know, maybe ring neck snakes or others that aren't desert. Mind you they're escape artists, too.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I do like inverts, but I want something besides inverts for this tank. Something else I was looking into where pygmy chameleon(Rieppeleon brevicaudatus). I am just not sure if the tank would be too large for them or not.
Not at all. That would be more than adequate for a large group. I have 2 females/1 male in a 15 gallon and they are doing great. It may seem like too much when they are doing what chams do, attached to their favorite stick in a trance-like state, but this will give them a lot of room to hunt, hide, lay eggs & a lot of area for the plants to grow. Definitely get the plants well started before you get the chams. It'll save you headaches later.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Something really cool that i've always wanted to do is a multi-species vivarium with Rough Green snakes,Green,Gray,(or similar) tree frogs,and Green anoles and house geckos.All can live together,as the Rough Green Snakes are cricket eaters.All species mentioned are very cheap too,so one could have numerous animals.You should try to get trios(1 male and 2 females) of each so they can reproduce and you can end up with plenty of animals.The only thing is that you'd need LOTS of living plants and places for each reptile to hide.It would be really cool though!

kevin91172

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Something really cool that i've always wanted to do is a multi-species vivarium with Rough Green snakes,Green,Gray,(or similar) tree frogs,and Green anoles and house geckos.All can live together,as the Rough Green Snakes are cricket eaters.All species mentioned are very cheap too,so one could have numerous animals.You should try to get trios(1 male and 2 females) of each so they can reproduce and you can end up with plenty of animals.The only thing is that you'd need LOTS of living plants and places for each reptile to hide.It would be really cool though!
I had a set up similar to this last year with,Green anoles( a trio),med.geckos,1tree frog,3 brown stinks, 6 rough earth snakes ,one smooth earth snake,a Texas marsh snake,Texas toad, and a lot of B.dubia.It was very nice and great display.Had live plants and lots of hiding places.I misted everyday.

I had anoles produce young but they disappeared shortly:(.I believe it was the Toad,but will know better next time.

Last edited:

sn95

Arachnopeon
I still have to talk to my land lord but as far as I know he's not too keen on snakes. I guess they had someone have an escape one time and it got into the plumping and appeared in another apartment. I actually started looking into reptiles again because I wanted a corn snake.

Not at all. That would be more than adequate for a large group. I have 2 females/1 male in a 15 gallon and they are doing great. It may seem like too much when they are doing what chams do, attached to their favorite stick in a trance-like state, but this will give them a lot of room to hunt, hide, lay eggs & a lot of area for the plants to grow. Definitely get the plants well started before you get the chams. It'll save you headaches later.
I will have to look into them some more than. I actually plan on having the tank up over winter and getting everything set up right. Then buying the animals next spring, think that should be enough time for the plants to take root and start growing well?

I have also been looking into crested gecko morphs and there are some beautiful ones. I remember looking into them 3(ish) years ago and most where 150 plus for something with some color or pattern.

Faing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't read through all the posts so if someone's said this sorry: a Dendrobates sp. possibly? Yeah, there's a lot of options you could choose.

sn95

Arachnopeon
I didn't read through all the posts so if someone's said this sorry: a Dendrobates sp. possibly? Yeah, there's a lot of options you could choose.
How hard are dart frogs honestly? I have only looked into the slightly.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I still have to talk to my land lord but as far as I know he's not too keen on snakes. I guess they had someone have an escape one time and it got into the plumping and appeared in another apartment. I actually started looking into reptiles again because I wanted a corn snake.

I will have to look into them some more than. I actually plan on having the tank up over winter and getting everything set up right. Then buying the animals next spring, think that should be enough time for the plants to take root and start growing well?

I have also been looking into crested gecko morphs and there are some beautiful ones. I remember looking into them 3(ish) years ago and most where 150 plus for something with some color or pattern.
Should be more than enough time. It'll give you the opportunity to fine tune before introducing the chams & more time to find a good supplier. Keep an eye on some place like chameleonforums.com or similar in case someone hatches CB babies(rare) or to find an importer of WC's you can trust. Try to get plants that are half the height of your enclosure...I would advise against starts because of the length of time that it takes them to grow in an artificial setting.

spiderslight

Arachnopeon
How hard are dart frogs honestly? I have only looked into the slightly.
Honetly i keep dart frogs in a 55 gallon Vivairum and they are easy if you can make sure it doesn't get to hot for them and don't have a deep water feature. I lost one frog to drowning.

Mistegirl

Arachnopeon
I had a set up similar to this last year with,Green anoles( a trio),med.geckos,1tree frog,3 brown stinks, 6 rough earth snakes ,one smooth earth snake,a Texas marsh snake,Texas toad, and a lot of B.dubia.It was very nice and great display.Had live plants and lots of hiding places.I misted everyday.

I had anoles produce young but they disappeared shortly:(.I believe it was the Toad,but will know better next time.
This sounds really really awesome. Did you just feed the dubia and let them be the food for everything else? Do you have any pictures?